1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Economy hotels in NY??

Discussion in 'Indians in New York' started by writeme, Jul 1, 2008.

1. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

We are planning a trip to New York City - a much awaited one!! I have been looking around many sites to find a cheap and economical hotel in NY City. But almost all those showed above $250 for a night's stay. Can any one suggest me a decent budget hotel in the city? (I know NY is a very expensive city, still wonder if there ain't any budget hotels?? bonk)

Thanks in advance,
    Indu...

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I travel to NYC a lot since my company's HQ are right on Times Square. Right now is the busy tourist season so a decent hotel anywhere on Manhattan will run you atleast $250 a night. My company has paid as high as $350 a night.You have 2 choices.

1. Stay in NJ and take the subway in. Get a weekly pass for the subway/bus system. The trains run pretty frequently and will take you at the most 1/2 hr to 45 mins each way.

2. Try bidding on priceline. You can get a 3-4 star hotel on priceline in Manhattan for around $150 at this time of the year.

3. On time square, I suggest the Hampton Inn or the Hilton Garden Inn. Hampton includes a very good free breakfast that is suitable even for vegetarians. And the hilton has decent sized rooms, which are twice the size of the other hotels on times square.

Cheers,

Pooja

3. pink_angel

pink_angel Senior IL'ite

Hi Indu,

You can:
    1. Book a hotel in Newark, NJ and commute to NYC everyday. In hotels like econolodge, days inn you can get a room for $65-70 per night. But you will end up paying $20 for communting via NJ Transit.
    2. If you can book a 2 bedroom in hostelworld.com in advance, you'll end up saving a lot more. But you will find bunker beds in hostelsworld in a 2 bedroom. There are many options like dorms(5 sharing, 10 sharing) in hostels world where you have to share the room with other people. I feel its okay for bachelors but not for family.
    3. or if u r lucky, u'll get a room in econo lodge in bronx or brooklyn if you plan in advance.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Guys have given you the best option already :)

My friends from west did this too

(1) Book via Newark Airport (EWR).
    (2) Book some hotels nearby the airport - Holiday Inn, Econolodge, Quality Inn are some of the cheapest hotels u can book.
    (3) Get into NJ transit from newark airport station into NY Penn Station.
    (4) Either start walking to places or book bus tour - Enjoy your trip
    (5) Take NJ transit back to the hotel. (You have trains till 1 AM) But you got to make sure if there will be taxis to take you from airport station to hotel. I aint sure about that, since we picked and dropped our friends :mrgreen:

This is Option 1.

Option 2 - expedia, priceline, hotels are few sites you can checkout for hotels that falls under your budget... Obviously the cheaper will be farther from the city even outside of manhattan.. :) But there is subway all over , so you can always not worry about travel inside NY.

Happy touring my Fav city on earth - Big apple !!

5. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Thankyou ladies for your prompt reply & support. I didnt look at NJ hotels coz of the transit time it may take. But seeing the hotel prices in NYC, i might need to consider staying at NJ :)..We already booked our flights to/frm JFK, so trasit times could be a real problem..

Thanks anyways..I'll check the sites u mentioned too..

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

JFK?, then I suggest you find out places in our borough.. not just manhattan.. its easier commute thru subway.. than going all the way to NJ and coming back.. most of your precious time touring will be lost in train transit.. RantRantthat too july 4th is crazy :)

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Then check for hotels in JFK area. The subway from JFK to manhattan is about 40 mins each way.