1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

eating chapathi/roti

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by vidyasundar, Sep 18, 2007.

1. vidyasundar

vidyasundar Bronze IL'ite

Hi IL
    Is eating chapathi or roti is not good can anyone clear this doubt since i have a habbit of taking chapathis daily especially at night and my neighbour told me its not good for health

thanks and regards

Admin Note: Do check the following relevant thread discussions

Know Your Calories
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/46221-replacement-for-white-rice.html
    Health Weight Gain
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/nature-cure/12576-eating-chapathi-roti.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...52-some-info-thoughts-weightloss-healthy.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013

2. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I have to contradict your neighbour. As far as I know it is one of the main dishes in a lot of parts of India,I would be able to tell in detail if you could tell me what she meant by saying chappatis are not good for health, i mean in which aspect?
    If she meant to say it is not good fo weight watchers, then may be she is partly right, as it has carb. Its just fine unless you dont eat too many chappatis at night.
    As far as I know, chappatis with wheat flour, have Carbs and fibre.
    You can google out chappati calories, or chappati nutrients to clear your doubts.

Regards,
    Yamuna.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  3. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

I wonder how your neighbour can suggest such things. Doctors suggest to intake wheat food than rice for dinner. As per my personal experience, my doctor advised me to replace even rice dosa/rice sadam with chapathi or roti especially for dinner. As far as the calories are concern, rice & wheat are almost equal. We just have to watch out the portions.

Great you are having chapathies everyday, Iam having hard time in switching on to rotis.

4. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi,

According to the yoga institute having the previous days chapatti/roti in the morning is best for breakfast.

If you want to watch calories then dont apply ghee on the rotis and also add very little oil while kneading the flour. Also make sure that you use wheat flour to make the rotis and not refined flour.

Roopa.

5. vidyasundar

Dear ILs,
    Thanks for ur suggestions. actually eating rotis or chapathi at night is bad since it requires 4- 6 hrs to digest and produces lots of heat it seems thats y she asked me not to eat rotis at night daily. otherwise wheat rotis or the best supplement for rice for diet watchers no doubt in that.
    thanks and regards
    vidyasundar

6. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

In my experience also, chapathis can cause digestion problems/flatulence if taken in night for some people. The reason is the 'Gluten' in wheat in chapathis which cannot be easily digested by some people (more a genetic reason).

During my pregnancy, I suffered from back pain and one of the main reasons was gas. As per a nutritionist's advice, I cut back on many things including dhal, corn, some veg like cauliflower, and chapathis in night and got good relief.

It is also my experience that you can slowly get back to the normal diet by improving your digestion by yoga or other healthy dietary practices. Take care,

Sumathy

7. vidyasundar

thank you vary much Sumathy. if i take rotis i dont find any problem with me or I might have not noticed let me monitor and go as per ur advice.
    thanks and regards
    vidya

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi vidya,

As other's have already given you views.. i think unless you have a problem it is ok to have rotis/chapathi everyday...but ensure you use whole wheat..to make it healthy.....

Though rice/chappathi have the same number of calories....rice digests faster and makes you feel hungry...chappathi takes time and helps in keeping you full...this is helpful in lot of situations like diabetes , diet watching...

9. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Who says Chapathi is not good ! i have had chapathis all my life and never had any problems... and to talk in dietary terms... chapathi has carbs which are good for us... wheat has a lot of nutrients... however rice has the kind of carbs which are fattening and also it doesnt have any nutrients...

so in fact having rice is harmful... and having rice in night is even more fattening... ask any doctor or any dietician.. they will give you a similar reply.. if someone wants to reduce sugar levels or if someone wants to be slimmer... the keyword is to avoid rice.

~Abha

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Abha sounds very sensible. i agree completely with her. thanks for all the ideas.