1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Easy is Difficult

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by periamma, May 21, 2012.

1. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Some tasks which are very easy to do becomes difficult and the difficult becomes vice versa.I want to share my experiences with you.I continued my studies after a gap of ten years and in the mean time i am a mother of two children.I continued my studies through Distance Education.First i did my P.U.C.which is equalent to today's plus two and then U.G in English literature.Though i didn't get first class i cleared every thing in the first attempt and so i was very happy to be a graduate.Then one of the reputed university introduced P.G.DCA as distance education.Immediately i got my admission as i was very much interested in computers.The syllabus for my course was BASIC,COBOL,PASCAL AND APPLICATION SOFTWARE .DBASE,WORDSTAR AND LOTUS 123 come under the category Application software.I had my contact classes for 2 days every monthand before the exam there was practical class for one week.

Now comes the climax of this post.I did my exam well and the results were published.I cleared Pascal and Application software but the other two hogaya.I was shocked to see my results as i never expected to get fail mark in Basic which is very easy and i cleared Pascal very tough subject.And in cobol, i scored well in theory but practical no marks as i had forgot to save the two programmes.I had written the programmes well but failed to save.Then again i wrote the Basic paper and cleared and i didn't go near cobol.These all happened in 1990 and in that year my elder son wrote his M.TECH exam,my younger son Engineering first year exam and myself P.G.DCA exam.All three were studying during nights and i enjoyed well.My DH and sons made fun with me for failing in easy subject and that too the basic of computers but praised me for my interest to learn at the age of 40.

Some time we do the difficult task very easily and struggle to do the easy one.The reason is we pay more attention to the difficult work and leave the easy work.This i have learned from my life.

I want to ask the software friends whether they know about cobol and pascal and are they have different names today.My DIL said Cobol is related to Main frame.

2. latharam09

latharam09 Platinum IL'ite

I enjoyed your narration periamma. You are very enthusiastic. You are an inspiration to all of us.

3. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

wow..that is great periamma..nice to know your interest at such an age..my mom did her B.Ed when i was doing my 10th

4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Latha thanks for your immediate response.

5. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Sushmavja.I got married at a younger age of 17 and then fast release of two sons at 18 and 19.So i continued my studies with my sons.Happy to know about your mom.

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

You are indeed an inspiration, periamma :) I really admire you for continuing your studies after such a long gap.though it is very common in foreign countries it is a rare feat in India so congratulations.
    since I too have done the above courses I have to agree with you..Basic and Cobol programming were much easier than pascal, but aren't they both outdated now ???

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

tGHE TROUBLE WITH COMPUTERS IS NEW LANGUAGES AND NEW APPLICATIONS KEEP CROPPING UP. oNE IS FORCED TO BE ON HIS/HER TOES ALL THE TIME. iF YOU ARE OUT OF TOUCH FOR EVEN A SHORT PERIOD YOU FEEL LIKE RIP VAN WINKLE AWAKENING AFTER DECADES. gLAD YOU TRIED YOUR HAND AT WRITING ALL THAT HAIR SPLITTING PAPERS. i AM HAPPY WITH ENOUGH COMPUTER KNOWLEDGE TO WRITE MY BLOGS.

2 people like this.
  8. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Mindi. I think cobol is used in industries and i slightly remember the coding sheet of the attendance and the salary of workers.

9. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Periamma,

So happy to know you did not give up and continued your studies even after marriage. This was not so common in the yesteryears. So hats off to you. Computer languages? Thanks, but no thanks. Like Balajee, I am content to be able to use the lappie to come and bore everyone here. :rotfl Till a year and a half ago, my usage of the computer was limited to word processing, excel sheets and sending emails. May be I should try learning a new language sometime - a computer language. Will certainly help ward off Alzheimer's. :biggrin2: