1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Dual citizenship - Info. needed

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by krni, Sep 24, 2009.

1. krni

krni New IL'ite

Dear all,

My son was born in USA. He got his US passport and SSN. He is 5 years old now.

We settled down in India. I think his US citizenship might help him go abroad for his college studies in future..

I want to know whether we need to do any formalities by visiting passport office.. Is it possible to get dual citizenship? Please advice.

Regards,
    Krni

2. Gooseberry

Gooseberry Senior IL'ite

Dual citizenship is not technically dual.

You can hold on to his US passport and apply for OCI (overseas citizen on India) or PIO (person of Indian origin).

But the better of the 2 is the OCI card since then you don't have to report every 6 months at the Police station/visa office (I am not sure which of the two) which you would have to do incase of PIO card.

And moreover OCI is lifelong visa to India unlike the PIO which is given for 15 yrs or so.

The only thing is OCI cost around @250 per person while the PIO is hardly $50 but then you have more advantage with the OCI since it is lifelong and no reporting to the police/visa office in India every 6 months which you are pretty much aware what hassle it is.

You can apply for OCI from India too....if I am not wrong. Please check the website

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI), Dual Citizenship for India

Other than that it is called dual but in true sense not dual at all. Dual means you can vote or hold public office in both countries but here your son cannot vote or stand in elections or be a part of military in India since he is a US citizen.
    Yes, definately it is a big PLUS to have US citizenship since he can go to US for higher studies or also to any other country very easily since US passport is valid in many places.

Sarada

3. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

There are few things in the earlier post which I would like to correct!!

First of all, just being born in US doesn't give the previlage to get an OCI card. For that, either of the parent had been an Indian and now, a naturalized citizen of another country. If your spouse and you are indian citizens, your son cannot apply for OCI, but for PIO.

As of now, in US the fee for PIO (minor-upto 18 yrs) is $185, adult $370. OCI - $275. In India, you can apply in FRRO office. Try the below link, its quite informative.

http://www.cgisf.org/oc/oci-chart.pdf

If your son is in India on a visa, you have to register at the nearest police station / FRRO. Once he gets a PIO, he shall have to get registered at FRRO only once after 6 months of stay.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  4. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Very informative thank you!!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  5. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

My pleasure.. and courtesy Consulate General of India, San Francisco website www.cgisf.org website :)

6. krni

krni New IL'ite

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for your kind information. Thanks for your time..
    My son got a PIO..We got it when we were in USA.

Regards,
    Krni

7. lesasue86

lesasue86 New IL'ite

Yeah just by having a Us visa one doesn't become an American. If you guys applied for the green car or citizenship when you were in Us then it could have helped. But never late than ever talk to Emmigration agencies for help and further assistance.