1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Dropping Guest Out Of Evite List

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by jskls, Sep 21, 2017.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

i was wondering every one of us would have been in such a situation where the number of guests for a host is uncertain. Some make it for the event and some don't. But there are a few who wouldn't respond to an evite. How many times one would invite someone (for a repetitive event like Navaratri) before they drop them out of their guest list ?

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

As for me I had invited a friend for 7 yrs in a row before I finally dropped her out of my evite list as she always declined stating some reason or the other. Doesn't mean I don't talk to her but just stopped inviting

Amica, Naari, periamma and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hee hee.. reading about others' rsvp blues brings to mind our own... doesn't it...

I would drop out the acquaintance level after 2 instances of decline. Someone I talk to more often, I'd drop out after 3 times. If they are very close, never.

If the event involves an Indian language group, or an Indian state or any such group, I'll simply invite all the people from previous year and any new additions to the group. The politics of inviting/not inviting in such groups, I cannot handle, so I'll just call all.

If the person is on the elderly side, like a senior member of a group, I always invite them, out of respect, whether they come or not. This clause is on its way out pro'lly. As I get older myself, the older-than-me will get fewer... or rather.. un-invitable... : )

That being said, I am so outdated, that first time hearing of evite for Navaratri. But then, like I mentioned in another thread, local ladies often send over the prasad or drop it off.. I never looked deeply into probable cause. Hopefully, they do realize that I might not believe in it, but I follow the do not go to religious events in 'those days of the month.'

Sangeeta85, Amica, sindmani and 3 others like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

All the above being said, I've seen all kinds of reasons for declining for repeating events. But one that has taken the cake many times was one friend's reason: she always responded to invitation (email/phone/text) with a "so far yes." I once asked her laughingly but outright: so far yes means what.. you guys are coming unless something else (better) comes up? She was taken aback, and didn't have an answer. This was eons ago. My rough guess is that I dropped her from the list after 6-7 times of 'so far yes.'

justanothergirl and jskls like this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

7yrs in a row?? You r so forgiving LS! :p

Amica, jskls and Naari like this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@jskls where I live Navarathri is pretty popular. Most in my close and extended circle keep golu and have some form of get-together during this season . There is typically just one weekend and 4 slots sat lunch/dinner sunday lunch/dinner. I host too so its impossible to make it to all . Sometimes people host on the same day I am hosting so the friends circle is split. So we send out the evite and those who can make it . There are those who havent made it for navarathri in years but I still send them an evite. If not for anything else atleast to let them know I am still thinking about them and we exchange a quick phone call either before or after the event. Sometimes if they cannot make it on the set day they drop by on a weekday after work ..have tea with me and take haldi kum kum . Unless something has changed dramatically once a person makes into the navarathri evite list they are never taken off. This is something my mom follows as well . Once she invites someone she would never not invite.
    Ok this slack only for Navarathri because of how complex its gotten .
    If its any other event and the friend/acquaintance always declines then probabaly after couple of years I would drop.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    peartree, Amica, jskls and 1 other person like this.
  7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

If an invitee doesn't bother responding, I wouldn't invite again.

If they decline, I would try a couple — not seven, though — more times.
    I do this, too. With some friends, the whole family visiting thing never did work out but our friendship continues.

jskls likes this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

An update I took your words @justanothergirl Called the friend again and this time she came on a different day. :)

justanothergirl likes this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

:beer-toast1::cheer: :thumbup:! Happy for you ma!

jskls likes this.
  10. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

If you are asking about general get togethers like bday parties / etc then I would consider dropping if the person is not interested in coming..some people celebrate Navratri also as a get-together / party..
    if you are performing a pooja and bhajans etc for navratri followed by dinner/ prasad then I would not bother dropping them unless it's been confirmed that the person is relocated somewhere else.. people have stuff going on in their families and the may not come or even respond, they may not care if you invite for pooja or not BUT you are maybe willingly consciously excluding someone to be a part of Devi pooja happening at your place which I feel negates the very basis of pooja :)