1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Driving Test Duluth, GA

Discussion in 'Indians in Georgia' started by Chapra, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Hi Indus Ladies,

I have been in Duluth for the past 2 years. I have a toddler and a 5 months old baby. Thinking of giving driving test in a couple of months time. My husband introduced me to driving and at present, am planning to take 8 hrs lessons from a driving instructor. Will it be sufficient? Am good at reversing and parking (forward) but a bit tensed when I drive on the road especially on curvy roads. Not able to maintain speed. Any suggestions?

Also let me know which DDS office location is good to take up the test.

Even a small bit of advice or tip would be helpful.

Chapra

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

2. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Also my hubby travels a lot hence I cant practice on a daily basis, only the lessons with the instructor would be my practice before the test. Will that be sufficient? please suggest.

3. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Read almost all posts on driving :) counting on IL friends for more tips/suggestions pl!

4. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Help needed

Hi IL members,

I joined IL recently. I am mom of a 2 yr old and a 4 months old girl babies. My husband is on a traveling job. Feel like its inevitable to learn driving now with 2 kids and husband not being with us most of the times. I came to US 3.5 years back; have been learning driving from my husband. As he has been traveling a lot, all my practices are always after a big gap in time. Pregnancies adding to my infrequent practice schedule. In spite of my irregular practice, think am quite decent in forward parking and reversing ( in general). My problem is that I haven't driven on roads and for the same reason, am afraid of driving on roads. Also, am not able to maintain speed.

I need suggestions from IL members on the following:

1. Will taking 8 hrs training from an instructor ONLY on weekends help for taking up Road test?
    2. How to maintain speed while driving?
    3. How can I come out of my fear?
    4. I stay in Duluth. Which DMV office is good/less busy/less strict for taking up the Road test. I already have my learners permit.

Please help/suggest.

5. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

Re: Help needed

I am not familiar with Georgia so am afraid cannot advice. Regarding training, learn from a proper training school - your husband/friends can recommend a good driving class.

You must learn to drive if you live here. If there is an emergency for you or the kids and your husband is not around, it can be tough. At least local roads to get to basic needs like groceries, pharmacies, bank, etc.

6. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Aamrapali for your reply. Sure, will learn to drive. Knew driving is inevitable for me now but will 8 classes be enough for learning? I know by experience will hone the skill but for the initial learning and for the road test, will 8 classes be enough....

7. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

8 hrs of driving class with a instructor will speed up your learning for sure .It will also add to your confidence big time . I was sailing in the same boat a few years ago..I just took 3 hr lesson for 2 days went on the freeway with the instructor for 2 hours and one hour internal street driving .That helped me tremendously. I did fail the test in the first attempt but managed to clear it the next time .Even if you fail the test, you will end up learning a lot and get a fair idea @ the streets on which they test us to drive. Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck and you can do it :thumbsup

8. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a ton, Luvladoo. That's boosted my morale! Have started with the instructor led training. Went for 2 hr class last weekend. Have 2 more this weekend. My problem is that am not able to practice in between:(. Also, how can I maintain speed?
    !'

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Chapra,

here is a thread that has consolidated information to help you succeed! If you have not visited, please do so - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/g...202130-dmv-test-tips-experiences-success.html

You do need to be independent with kids. While the thread will answer your questions, about maintaining speed since we use the same foot for both break and accelerator, you will learn to manage it. It just a matter of time. Best wishes!

10. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks so much, Srama. Sure, will check the link.