1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Driving Car In Usa And Fight With Husband

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Prabh, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Prabh

Prabh New IL'ite

Hello all

I just got my driving licence in first attempt and i am driving along with my husband and my baby.

My husband taught me how to drive and i learnt somehow not perfectly that how to drive and rules of driving and i cleared the driving test in first attempt.

But overall we had lots of fights and arguments to a different level when he was teaching me. I remained quiet and sometime responded back also ... but said sorry most of the times as I wanted to learn and get the licence.
    Sometimes I felt he is insulting me lot that i can't learn small small things in one attempt as he was teaching me.. I told him I will improve. He always compares me with other women who are driving so well with attitude.

Now also when he is sitting behind i am so much afraid that he pin point so many mistakes and start shouting at me as I am not driving properly. He always compares with himself also..i told him several times no two persons are same and you have 5 years of driving experience and i am driving from last 2 months only.

So the problem here is whatever he said and still says to me while driving that i am slow learner, i am zero ,I am not capable of doing anything and i am not confident ,I am afraid of driving.
    I can keep and i want to keep these things aside and i want to drive that's why still listening to him.

But I am afraid of him i can't explain to him I tried all types of conversations.
    The day we have to go out somewhere i have to drive i am afraid of the fights and arguments.. as it is the rule at our home that where ever we go i have to drive..i know it's for my sake he is doing so that i learn more.

Please help me how to remain calm and how to handle this situation. He is short tempered.i mostly remain silent when he says something.. because of Him i am not able to concentrate on driving and i am just forgetting what I was good at as he is always saying this turn was not good ,this was wide this was narrow... how to remain content when I am driving with him.

Sometime he gets angry and shouts..that is genuine on my mistake but sometimes his expectations are not realistic from me and my skills....
    I am not that dumbo.. I know that....
    Thanks

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Prabh

Most men are like that and most couples fight during this phase. Just remain calm, don'y respond to him. If you are okay, avoid driving while he is in the car. Don't expected him to appreciate ur driving, that will never happen.

If you need to practice, take a friend or family member you are comfortable with and learn.

3. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

OP,

Congratulations on getting your DL !
    First Thumb Rule: Never Ever practice driving with husband ...period. (Yes I mean it!!) . Which you already did (Like many of us, I did it too). Just don't worry too much about it, try to keep calm. Whatever talks happen during that time is merely because of stress caused due to caution, safety, time etc., . So if at all during your conversation we were told we are dumb doesnot really mean the dictionary meaning of dumb. Stay calm, drive safe. Let it go. In few weeks things will get better once you and your hubby gets confidence on your driving .

I am not trying to prove anybody wrong here. This is purely out of my experience. I had to get it delayed by 2 years just because of all these things and finally after I gave birth to my First daughter and when he was out for a week on business trip, I dared to give the drive test and then I cleared ..tada...then things started falling in place.

So just relax , take it easy ..stay safe ! Enjoy your drive!

--PS

pinkgal and Naari like this.
  4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Most common issue OP! Yes I agree with the other responder that no learning driving with husband, it's very true.. in your case, you got your DL , so you are out of the heat, now you are headed for smoother times ;) enjoy your driving freedom. If he starts an inflammable topic, change topics , plain & simple! :tearsofjoy:

Archanaanchan likes this.
  5. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Never ever learn driving from husband. They make the worst driving teachers :) Now that you have got the license, practise driving on your own without your husband. Once you have gained enough confidence, only then drive with him. That is what I did.

sindmani likes this.
  6. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

It is a common problem. Even after driving for decades, I will not drive with my DH in passenger seat. It was/will be nothing but earful of 'what am I doing wrong'. He talks too much, gives too many instructions and it is the distraction while I am driving. It is like he is giving me the 'driving lesson'. In fact, my son says the same thing....my DH gets nervous and making us literally, upset while driving.

My solution: 'there you go, be my driver'.

Sunburst likes this.
  7. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

You got your license - if it was your dh's lessons that helped you in gettin it, thank him.

Second, it is quite a disaster to learn driving from your father n husband. I learnt from both parallely n they were brutal n I was very young n my patience level wasn't very helpful.

But still as super annoying as it was, I focused only on learning n I learnt because of them.

I had seen a video where this woman drives a SUV n the men looks down on her, n then she picks up speed n these men jus clutches on to the seat for their dear life n she will do these awesome stunts n they go wow. I used to imagine something like that in my head when I was learning.

N after I learnt, I did drive a SUV n maybe not so much the stunts but did prove it to them about how good I was in my driving.

But one more thing about them, they will never stop complaining even when they know you are good jus because they still think that you can do better.

Don't take it personally, some are jus harsh teachers. and if possible, learn on your own. Don't take your hubby along. Just start driving on your own. You have a license anyway. I did that too.

Once I learnt, at times when they got too whiney, I stopped the car, got out of the driving seat n sat on the back seat asking them to drive.

Moral of the story is that you aren't alone :roflmao:

sindmani and WiseAgnes like this.
  8. WiseAgnes

WiseAgnes Gold IL'ite

I'm sorry to hear about your problem, OP. The problem is not about you not being able to stay calm while he shouts at you, but him being a bully
    Well, ten years ago I taught my husband to drive. I was scared out of my mind because my husband, then boyfriend, was a terrible driver and we were driving my mom's very expensive car without her knowledge. So if something happened, I would be in the world of trouble. However, I perfectly knew that if I shout on my husband for his mistakes, he would get nervous and become even worse in driving, so the chance that he hits something or someone increases significantly. So I was calmly explaining him things while praying to all gods silently, and I am not even religious! Fortunately, nothing happened and he passed from the first attempt and I give credit to myself.
    As others said, don't drive with him. Hire someone to teach you if you still need it, the driver instructors can be really inexpensive. Or ask a friend to help you out. You can start by telling your husband that it is not okay to scream at you and call you names and if he keeps doing it, he will be uninvited to drive with you. After all, you need to focus on controlling the vehicle and when someone screams at you, it's hard to do. Matter of safety. Good luck!

Naari likes this.
  9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

@WiseAgnes

Men women difference I guess .. women can be more patient & understanding.. we also had max fights during the time I learnt driving with him.. I quickly switched to driving school

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    sindmani and Archanaanchan like this.
  10. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

After reading this post and having thinking of learning driving from DH .. I am thinking of driving school as a safe option:)Arguments do happen... Tu tu mein mein situations always exist:) You just have to wait for the ball to be in your court to kick n show that you are no less :p...

pinkgal, Naari and sindmani like this.