Driving as a Tourist in Australia

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by Jey, May 11, 2008.

1. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is becoming apparent to me that the best way to enjoy Australia is to drive at least some portions of the itenary.
    As I started thinking about driving in Australia as a tourist, tons of questions in my mind. I will list them here. Forgive my ignorance, but please share any information you have and I will also do some research on this.

1. License - Does an Indian or US license enough to drive in Australia?

2. Car rentals - What are the top 3 rental car companies in Australia? Does this vary by where we are renting our car?

3. Car Insurance - Is this sold by the car rental company or is it better/cheaper to handle it outside?

4. Maps - Do car rental companies rent out GPS or is it better to carry printed maps?

5. Child seats - What is Australia's policy on this? Should/can we rent child car seats with the rental company?

6. Breakdowns - What happens if our car breaks down? Is there something like AAA (American Automobile Association) in Australia?

7. Rest stops/Exits on highways - Since we have a two year old, we have our own challenges with this. Can you give some broad idea on this? How frequent are they?

Phew!! I will also continue to Google in finding answers. Thank you IL'ites.

2. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Hi Jey,

I think the next time I pack my back packers for my travel, I should request you to give me tips , plans and suggestions of preperatory activities to be done before travel. You are so good in planning you tour.

I admire your skill. Now follows my personal approach and answers to your questions.

Yes you can use both of the licences to hire cars

You can find most of the famous car rental options in this site
    Cheap Car Hire > Avis,Budget,Europcar,Hertz,Thrifty > Brisbane,Sydney,Melbourne - BNE

I have often used
    Thrifty Australia best value car rental and truck rental. Car hire Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Canberra, Perth, Cairns, Gold coast, Hobart, Darwin, more. ,
    www.budget.com.au/ ,
    Avis Rent A Car
    and most of them you will find their offices/outlets in the airports itlself

Yes it is being provided by car rental bundled with the rental options, Some of them you need to explicity request for, while renting the car, Also when you drive on icy roads you have to choose insurance options explicitly.

I have never used the GPS in the rented cars and they are available on seperate request. I usually use
    Australian travel maps, street directory, driving directions & aerial photographs - Whereis.com ,
    Google Maps ,
    Sydney and regional NSW accommodation, attractions, tours and events ,
    Melbourne Victoria Australia - visitvictoria.com The official travel and accommodation site for Melbourne Victoria Australia

Yes child seats should be seperately rented with oz car rental companies. As per my experience you need to book them well in advance as they often have shortage of these.

Most times in my experience when you call your car rental company, they suggest you get it repaired from the nearest locomotive reparing shop or the car brands servicing outlets and if they are claimable them the car rental company will reimburse it. I am not sure about the AAA option in Australia

I doubt on highways how frequently this would be available. This is just becaus I seldom had a need for this. I think ILites can enlighten you about this

Disclaimer: What ever inputs I have given above is from my wn experiences. So please discuss with many more people for more facts on the above...Also my experience are arrived only from my travel in the states of Victoria and NSW

Cheers

Last edited: May 12, 2008