1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Drishti Sutthi podunga!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by padmasowrirajan, Dec 2, 2007.

1. aarthig

aarthig New IL'ite

Would like to know if men can do drishti suthuvadhu...or only women are eligible to do so? Can a husband do it for a pregnant wife?

2. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

padma,

i too remember those old days when my mom used to do that.

i don't believe in those religious aspects but what i realized is that, it has a great psychological effect.

it shows the affection & love they had on us. that's a positive sign for us to wade of bad things or rather give us confidence & a comfort factor to face the bad situations.

it also tells us that there are people to care for us in bad times.

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Padma,
    Actually i have forgotten about this drishti sutthi podarathu, i better rush back home and do it.

Yes my mom & grand mom used to do it, i had moved away from it, later as you said when i learnt reiki and other healing modalities understood the essence of keep aura in tact.

Since i don't have fire ,iam unable to use the chilli and salt since it needs to be thrown in the fire.

let me use the arthi style,thanks you are right, it does have some meaning
    Jaya

4. bhagyakrish

bhagyakrish New IL'ite

hi there,

nice info.. i have a doubt, can a person do it for herself? i.e.. can i rotate salt and chilli myself over my head to remove dhrishti?
    thanks..

5. Ranise

Ranise Junior IL'ite

Dear Padma,

Nice thread !

Till my daughter was born, I wasn't believing any of this. But when my DD was a baby it became like a practice, especially when we had functions at home, lot of visitors to see her or the days when she would cry non stop ! It is mostly the camphor procedure at my mother place. My MIL would use red chillies, wheat flour & crystal salt to do the rotations and then put it in the fire ( it was surely a struggle to get the fireplace in our Bangalore flat ! So, we would use the old coil heater for this purpose.. :roll:).

Once when my daughter was about an year old, she used to behave strange. She would continuously stare at one direction and start crying. She would wake up in the middle of the night, point fingers at something in the air and cry. My maid, who was also my DD's caretaker advised that we should take her to the masjid at namaaz time. Initially I didn't believe , but after few days when nothing else was working out, we actually took her to the masjid ( offcourse asked my maid to accompany as it was my first visit to a masjid! ) . There we were made to stand in a row along with other mothers & babies. Some old men after completing the Namaaz came out and blew air on the faces of the babies while chanting something. It all looked very strange, but from that night my DD's strange behavior vanished... so there was probably some negative energy around !!

Nowadays I have also started to advice friends to take their babies or kids to the masjid when the kids are cranky ! Can't believe me too doing this !.

Regards
    Rani

2 people like this.
  6. Gee69

Gee69 New IL'ite

I know very well about this ritual, having observed various variations of this from close quarters...

I really want to know one aspect... It's always a practice that the elder folks perform 'evil eye removal' on the younger lot...

What happens when the older folks suffer from a 'evil eye'... Let's say a sixty five year old patriarch suffers... what do they do...

or the older lot is left uncared for... like in many places.... I hope someone would enlighten me on this.

Cheers, all...

7. laxmihol

laxmihol New IL'ite

Yes i remember the same things...making fun of it all....but now with my own two kids i do it all the time and it works all the time...thank god i remember all the though i use all the name of the people i feel have put the "evil eye " on my kids...though my grandma and mother...would do it with the sticks...lite them with fire...now its not possible...lakshmi/bangalore

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting snippet on Dhrishti suththi poduthal. I was born and brought up in a village in 1940s,when such things were very very common.In those days there was no understanding about positive and negative energy.As a routine affair they used to make infant wear black bangles,and as soon as the bathing is complete they prepare arthi ,move round the babe, remove one bangle, put it inside arthi and throw away on the street as to be seen by others.
    My mother born in 1900 and her MIL born in 1850 had no belief in this Dhrishti affair and in our family this practice is not there.
    My mother used to say, normally the parents/grand parents of the child alone think highly of the colour, beauty, plumpiness of the kids and not others.Others may not think so highly of the beauty or any achievement of other children.
    Amma's dhrishti is the prime dhrishti for the child and this cannot be warded off at all.
    So essentially, if there is a concept of Dhrishti, it is from the dear parents only.

When this attitude is developed , we don't think about evil eyes etc of others even if the child cries or some other problem arises. We used to think on other lines.
    But if one is psychologically comfortable because of this process,one may continue. The very thought that somebody casts an evil eye either on our financial status, intelligence of our children or attractive looks of our babies, is a clear indication of an element of ego or pride present in us, though one may not approve of the same.
    For the past 160 years, there have been hundreds of children born, some very healthy, some puny,a few IAS officers, professors ,doctors and lawyers born and brought up in a very big joint family.Ups and downs, ailments both minor and severe were very common. Evil eye or Dhrishti was never considered by us an attributory factor for the down fall or sufferings.My mother used to say one's actions are primarily responsible for the negative things that happen in our life and it is not any way justifiable to shift the blame on others.
    I know even modern mothers may not accept this.
    'After all this is a small process, done with good intention;let us continue this' is their contention.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  9. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @padmasowrirajan ,

'Drishti Suthi poduthal' is a practice prevalent even today in many Indian villages. Thanks for a beautiful post summarising the practices.

Even now, my mother does it for all of us using Vibudhi, or chilli, mustard, Salt combo or camphor. I do it for my Sons, and Dil's. On those occasions I also do it for DH and as a return gesture he happily does Dhrushti suthal for me!.:biggrin2:

Normally, we do it with camphor. One of my DIL though is outwardly against any so called superstitious customs, feels very comfortable in Dhrishti Suthi Poduthal. She stands like a six year old with all seriousness and enjoying my attention, which I really enjoy (without telling her)!:)

Apart from the scientific background or otherwise, of Aura or otherwise in my view the whole procedure is good for three reasons in addition to the actual dhrushti removal(for those who believe).

1) It is visible act of concern from the mother to the child and other members of the family and a reminder of our culture and tradition.

2) creating a psychological reinforcement of whatever strengths and achievements one has, and encouraging confidence in one's own positive attributes.

3) It strengthens the bond amongst the participants.