1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Drishti Sutthi podunga!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by padmasowrirajan, Dec 2, 2007.

1. padmasowrirajan

padmasowrirajan Senior IL'ite

The word drishti is not new to us Indians. It is called the evil eyes or evil sight. When someone dresses up nicely, is scared of something, leave home at night, the elder person in the family will do the process of Drishti sutthal. It’s not a superstitious ritual although!

The life force or the Prana, flows around us in the form of aura. There are four layers of aura that flows around our body; they are Physical aura, mental aura, emotional aura and spiritual aura. When the flow is blocked, disturbed or restricted by the negative energy, it causes ill-effects. This aura can be disturbed by the acceptance of the negative emotions and thoughts whether consciously or unconsciously. Our body is believed to be resting 7 main chakras which are positioned along the central line of the back and front of our body. This chakra spins and swirls with the energy that flows around us. This chakra creates a flow of energy between our physical, emotional and spiritual levels. When certain part of the body is ill or any organ dysfunction, it is because the chakra in that particular position is affected by the negative flow of energy.

The drishti is caused by the negative and evil thoughts that are directed towards us by other people. When they direct their negative thought patterns to us, invariably our physical aura attracts that negative energy and starts to attract negative happenings in our life. When people are jealous at our growth in life, at our prosperity, our good looks (why not!) they do not have to physically abuse us or make us realize their enmity outwardly, but their subconscious mind which has those thoughts radiates the negativity towards us.

There are various ways to cast away this drishti that is followed in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. We use lemon, water melon, coconut, crystal salt, pepper seeds and red chilies and camphor. The lemon is used for the materials that we buy, that is when we buy a new vehicle, we run over the lemon by our vehicle(sorry water melon cannot be run over as a whole!!!). Water melon is used on a new moon day. A small portion is cut and some coins and sindhur is applied inside and closed again. Then the camphor is placed over the melon and lighted. This is rotated around a person or the whole family, clock wise and anticlockwise for about 3 or 21 times. This is believed to remove negative energy that fills our physical aura. Also coconut is used in the same way. The mixture of crystal salt, pepper seeds and red chili is taken in one’s hand, one who is to perform the drishti sutthal and rotated clockwise and anti clockwise before the person for whom drishti is to be removed and he/she is asked to spit in the mixture which is then thrown into the fire. When it emits sound and foul odor the person is believed to be relieved of the evil sight. The camphor method is the more common method (at least in my house). They light the camphor in a plate and do the rotations process about the person or family. When the lighted camphor is rotated, it is believed to attract to the fire the negative energy that’s present in our four layers of aura, as fire is considered as the cleansing energy. The drishti sutthal can be done on Thursdays, Sunday, on Pournami and Amavasya day(If there are any other days I am not aware).

During the time of pregnancy, the lady is not supposed to see this performance, since her energy will be more susceptible to the environment and she could attract negativity that is thrown away by others energy.

Regularly performing this can help the person to cast away his/her negative energy, which could not only be the cause of others evil thoughts but one’s own train of negative thoughts.

So, please share here about your drishti sutthal performance in your family!!
    And let's drishti sutthify for our all ILites!!!! :spin

1 person likes this.

2. Kanchi

Kanchi New IL'ite

Hello padma,
    In my Amma is also do that Drishti sutthi poduthal.Every friday she do that. She used red chilli and crystal salt.All our family members were sit down facing east side,and my mum standing infront of us, she had a red chilly& c.salt to in her clossed hand, She rotated her right hand [ left to right side ]three times on our heads, this circle were also cover all our members, then change her hand and the items to left hand the circle were also changed.[right to left] then it the items disposed to fire.The crystal salt were cracked, how that sound were comes our evils are gone.
    Thanks to you for my malarum ninavugal.{Flash back} At that time so many funny things were happen.At the end of the time my mum touch {kuttu} all my sisters, brothers and my cousines,some time our neighbours were also enjoy that Kuttu. Even now we were go to my mother's house my mom do that. Same gallatta were continued.

3. padmasowrirajan

Dear kanchi
    You are welcome, for thanking me to give you a free time transport to those days. Yeah, the fun part, never we miss. We used to move and roll our heads when my mom or paati does that. And we even used to look at each other's face for that soot mark on our foreheads they keep when using camphor, and make fun of each other. Cool thing!

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for this thread which made me think about the years my mom or grandma used to do this for the welfare of the family members. My grandma did this when, we from US gone to India after 11 years. Even my children liked that. But my mil is not to all of this. So I am trying to 'revive' that tradition in our family.

5. padmasowrirajan

Dear sriniketan,
    Thanks for dropping by. Try to revive that habit, i am not telling it for some superstitious reasons or to follow the ritual. But, as a reiki healer, i have experienced the process. It does brings in some positive energy into your body. so, try to do it for your children in the future:)idea probably when your MIL is not around )

6. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

A very interesting and though provoking thread..

When I was young and less knowledgeable, I used to shun all this. As I grew older, started reading a lot and introspected a lot, it just hit me as to how little we know and how much more there is to understand, with respect to science.

Apparently there is a quantum mechanical explanation available to explain aura around our body. It that is the case, that explains why 'drishi chuthi poduthal' works! Started doing this for my children and I have to admit that there is some peace immediately - though I cannot explain why and how. My neighbour (old muslim lady) does it and she makes us feel good by saying at the end that there was so much drishti and it is all gone now.

Old practices like this makes me wonder many times, whether we have lost lot of ancestral scientific knowledge sometime during the past ??

Cheers,

Sumathy

7. padmasowrirajan

Hi sumathy,
    Thanks for visiting the thread. Its good that you have revived the habit for your children. That where we shun our own protests of superstitions and talk of unwanted ritual we did when we ere younguns. It our duty to impart them with the scientific knowledge of the rituals and routines that is carried on in our rich cultural India. Our parents probably didnt question but we started and some have lost what you said ancestral scientific knowledge in the process of questioning. It's not wrong for the child to question, but we should be ready with the answer when he/she shoots at us, just so they wont call it off and walk away.

8. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

very nice article!!you have explained it very well!!!my grandma used to do it all the time when we were young....now my hubby&i do it for our son!!my hubby believes in it more than me&makes me do it for our son every once in a while&he does it for the both of us!!!

9. padmasowrirajan

Hi vidhu,
    Thanks for visiting the thread. Yeah, i just wanted to revive and remind for those of us who might have lost touch with the ritual. Good that you still do it. Keep doing. Its also a kind of positive affirmation. When we do it, we unwittingly bring in positive thoughts which in turn forms positive energy.

10. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

My grandmom(s) used to do this all the time too - she thought everyone was casting the evil eye on her grand daughters! I also recall her burning a broomstick behind a door - don't know what that was for though!!