1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Drinking Hot water does not help in weight loss!!!

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Sunshine123, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Sunshine123

Sunshine123 New IL'ite

Hello

To all of you out there who think drinking 3 litres of hot water everyday helps in weightloss.......I am sorry to say but THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!

On the contrary, drinking ice cold water helps you burn calories.

You have an 8-ounce glass of ice-cold water in front of you. That’s about 240 grams of water.

When you drink the ice water, which is roughly 4 degrees Celsius, your body will expend calories to bring it to body temperature, which is about 37.5 degrees Celsius; that’s a difference of 33.5 degrees. To raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius, 1 calorie is expended.

Raising 240 grams of water by 33.5 degrees Celsius will take 33.5 calories x 240 grams of water, which equals 8,040 little calories.
    Dividing 8,040 by 1,000 gives us 8.04 food calories (kilocalories). Therefore, you’ll burn about 8 calories for each glass of iced calorie-free beverage you drink.

On the other hand, drinking hot water makes your body temparature go up and you start sweating, as its the body's mechanism to coool your body.....and when you sweat, your body flushes all the toxins out.

So, in short any supposed benefit of weight loss from drinking cold water or hot water would be so slight that it would be a complete waste of time and effort to even give it another second of thought. These are time loss tips, not weight loss tips.

If you want to lose weight, focus on your diet and your workout. If you want to burn your tongue, drink hot water.

And also remember that excess consumption of water can lead to water intoxication.

The above is information from authentic sources and also the views expressed by the head of nutrition and dietetics in one of the leading hospitals in Singapore!!

Admin Note: Read more if water helps in weight loss or not in the below linked threads

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/202276-can-water-help-you-lose.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/136127-honey-luke-warm-water-weight.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/tags/water%20weight%20loss.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/nature-cure/84746-lemon-water-amazing.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...shape/153376-drink-water-for-weight-loss.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k.../107027-drinking-more-water-before-meals.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013

2. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI friend...

To my knowledge practical experience talks more than theory... I myself drink hot water and reduced weight sucessfully. another benifits of drinking hot water is...
    1. regular & proper Defecation
    2. cold cough and all related problems are kind of solved

i did'nt tell drinking hot water alone will help to reduce weight, along with that we need to do dieting and exercise...

doctor opinon always differ.. for eg... here in dubai we used to give suppository for kids when they get fever, but when we take them to india most of the doctors ask us to avoid. but the same medicine was said very safe by our doctors here and we still continue that coz we live here... this is one such eg which strike me...

This is not to offend anyone... absoultely my point of view, since these are the benifits i faced so i gave my opinion...

3. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

I agree with Vahee..drinking hot/cold water is good for health.

Toxins are flushed out and it prevents in formation of cellulite.

I have read in innumerable health magazines that drinking water is very beneficial in maintaining good metabolism of the body and I have never come across any doctor who says..there are no benefits in drinking water.Everyone suggests to have atleast 8 glasses water everyday.

4. Sunshine123

Sunshine123 New IL'ite

Hi Vahee

I do agree that drinking hot water might have other benefits like the ones that you mentioned......but there is absolutely no known research done on the fact that drinking hot water helps in weight loss. Yes, proper diet and exercise alone helps........!! What drinking hot water does is flushes out toxins and hence cleanses your system.......this might appear like weightloss but in truth it is not.

Hi Sabitha.....that sentence that you have quoted means that drinking Hot or cold water does nothing much for your weightloss........it does not say drinking water is bad........drinking water at room temparature upto 3litres a day is definetly best!!

Hope that clarifies

Cheers

5. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Oops !Sorry, I meant drinking water improves one's metabolism which indirectly benefits in weight loss.

A person with good metabolism is less likely to put on weight and more likely to reduce a bit of that existing flab.

6. Sunshine123

Sunshine123 New IL'ite

Hi Sabhita

I dont undermine the benefits of drinking water. I personally drink more than 2 litres of water everyday and can vouch for the benefits of drinking water. What i am trying to bring to light here, is that drinking hot water does not do much in aiding weight loss.......as was prescribed time and again on this forum. This is the information that was provided to me by reliable sources and hence i am sharing it here........!!

If people want to benefit from drinking water like increased metabolism, isnt it much easier to just drink them at room temp rather than taking that extra trouble of heating it?.......when in reality it's not helping them much in their goal of weightloss.

If there is any research that's being done, which proves that drinking hot water helps in weight loss......i would definetly be open and interested to know it.

Cheers

7. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Sunshine,

I understand your point and can vouch that initially when I started with the water therapy, I used to drink cold water and then shifted to hot water.

Even I am not fully convinced on the benefits of drinking hot to cold water as you rightly pointed out that our body requires to burn few calories to normalize the temperature of the water.From that viewpoint, it sounds more reasonable to drink cold to hot water.I assumed that there could be some scientific reason for this precept[hot water is better for weight reduction] which I am not aware of.

Your analysis corroborates my belief and I am waiting for other ILites to pour in their thoughts on this...:thumbsup

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  8. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI sunshine & sabitha...

I felt the other way... i used to drink cold water only and but during my weight loss journey only i started to drink hot water ... i felt lot of difference and i felt it helped me too and i succeed in my weight loss... now continuing it...

As sabitha mentioned let me wait for other ilites views on this ...

9. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

hi,

i totally agree with Vahee and Sabitha,
    i have been drinking hot water for maore than 10yrs and hot water has actually helped me to lose weight and in addition i work out everyday and take vare in eating my food, so my dear hot water does help in losing weight.
    In china all the people after having a meal drink hot water immediately and the same goes for the japanese, these people keep on drinking hot water mixed with green tea.

alpa:cheers

10. Sunshine123

Sunshine123 New IL'ite

Hi Vahee & Alpa

I personally think a lot of the credit of your weight loss should be attributed to your diet and work out. Having fruits for dinner and cutting carbs back after 6 in the evening does wonders to your body.

Alpa, i live in Singapore where 70% of the population is chinese......and i have lived for a couple of years in Shanghai too (thanx to my globe trotting husband!). The slim bodies of chinese and Japanese never ceases to amaze me. Two of my best friends happen to be chinese too......and there are many factors that help them stay slim -

Firstly....most of their diet is water based.....noodels which forms a big portion of their diet is mostly cooked in water,
    Secondly most of their diet is sea food, which again is low in fat and high in protein content......as opposed to red meat which though high in protein is also high in fat,
    thirdly..... they consume very little carbs compared to Indians (I always hate the small qty of rice that is served in chinese hawker centres here!!)
    Fourthly.........I think genetics play a big role here.........traditionally chinese and Japanese are small made people compared to westerners. Try as we might........its difficult for us to match their small bone structure....I always envy them for that :)

Yes, green tea helps greatly in their crystal clear complexion.......as it flushes toxins from their body.

Having said the above, I dont deny that drinking hot water might have its own benefits (though not much!!)............but for all you folks out there, if you are reaching out for that hot glass of water thinking that its going to help you fasten the weight loss process..............save your selves the trouble!!! If possible switch over to Ice cold water.........which atleast has a proven research done to show that it burns calories!!:cheers

Cheers