1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

drinking habit is good or bad??

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by BuviVishal, Feb 1, 2015.

1. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Armummy, I've lived in countries in Central Europe for a few years where it is even legal to grow your own pot plant. I have so many local friends there and the first couple of years I stunned me that they rarely got "drunk" let alone grow pot and get high. Most of them had never done pot. I've seen men and women who just don't even drink alcohol as they don't like it.

In beer festivals there were whole families from the grandparents to grandkids, dancing to the band and having fun. Nothing was hidden as shameful. Something I saw in my first beer festival sticks to my head - I didn't see a single local loose control; I saw a guy who looked like he was from the indian subcontinent blabbering, making a nuisance of himself; he even ended up puking...

Drinking is not as bad as it is portrayed in India. It is not healthy either - what with empty calories and beer bellies. Like many others have said before moderation is key. Also it is important that the person having a drink ensures he doesn't do something dangerous like drink and drive, ever.

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I understand what you are saying but for me key is it is not healthy either , so it pays to stay away.

Smoking ,drinking , drugs -- everything starts small only and then grows into addiction not everyone but even one is too many for that family. So one won't miss anything if you stay off them.

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

It is everyone individual choice but problems arise if you try to impose your habits on other. Like telling other adults not to drink.

Alcohol (wine and beer) are deeply rooted in some cultures (like France, Italy and Germany) and it is completely normal to have a glass of wine with the dinner.

Addictions then a very different issue.

1 person likes this.
  4. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

also we should not get all judge-e about what others do gigglingsmiley

5. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

true true..

Remembering the first IV to Bangalore/Mysore, it was a sort of 3 star hotel and the breakfast was a pure south Indian buffet with idly, dosai, kesri, vadai, sambhar, chutney, pongal, kaara baath.. We were having a field day emptying one plate after the other, while we noticed that there was a eastern Europe origin couple who were quietly having toast and a glass of wine.

While we were commenting that 'oh, firangis started early morning itself', wonder what they might have thought about the full course high calorie buffet early in the morning!

6. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

we are sharing our views here about what we think is appropriate not imposing our views nor judging anyone .

even OP is not saying not to drink but she is concerned about increase in consumption . We are advising based on our personal beliefs . It is upto OP to take what she finds appropriate. Also ,when we talk about alcohol it is more than just wine and beer.

Just like it it is deep rooted in some cultures ,many families in India are alcoholic free so people may have different perspective on this issue .

But are we free to teach our children or near and dear ones about ills of alcohol and advise not to drink . I guess we are within our right to do that .

7. CrayoNess

We can teach and advise our children but in the end they make their own decisions.

8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

You don't have control on decisions of children . But it does not mean that I will encourage the consumption nor I will sit on sidelines if I see some alarming trend .I believe in timely intervention for these habits which can be potentially addictive .

9. CrayoNess

If they take a glass of wine or a couple of drinks now and then there is nothing wrong with that. And in such a situation we cannot judge or intervene.

10. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

When they are adults with their own life, you can still give your suggestion to them, but if you intervene beyond a point, they will politely ask you to mind your own business (perhaps not those words, but politely), as long as they drink responsibly. Same will be the case for hubby (if he wants to drink responsibly, of course not applicable if H is a teetotaller).

As long you give suggestions to adults in a non-nagging way, and then let them decide on their own, yes there will be no problems.