Dressing for presenting to clients in US

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by aamini, Dec 24, 2013.

1. aamini

aamini Bronze IL'ite

Hi All:
    I have scheduled to travel to US and present my work to clients.
    I have travelled before to US and did presentations but that time it was for our own company. Now I am in service company and first time to present for clients.

I was not bothered much about dressing earlier as y earlier company was very good about inclusiveness. I went on my churidhar.

Do you think wearing a neat kurta is ok for presenting to clients?

I don't mind buying a pair of formal trouser but you know I really do not carry them well. Instead of looking like clown in those dress I am thinking being neat in mild coloured neatly ironed kurta. I will also be not concious ...and I can re-use that dress. if trouser..I will not use them again.

what do you think?

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Dressing style in US is quite casual but that depends a little bit on the business you are in. Banking, financing, legal professionals tend to be more formal. IT more relaxed. East coast more formal than west coast.

I think you can wear ethnic wear but if the clients are more formal then it would be safer to wear a pantsuit or dress/skirtsuit.

3. aamini

aamini Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Crayo. I am in FMCG field. I will check what I could wear. I am not thinking of jingbang ethnic wear...may be a plain one collored/ close necked with 3/4th arm kurta with chudidhar without dupatta.....Does that dont look formal??

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I am in the NE and frankly I think you are going to freeze in a cotton kurta. Also, for a business presentation it is not a good choice unless you were going to do some heavy raw silk or other dressier choice. Also, you wear it once and then how are you going to launder it? I would suggest a nice sweater and pants and then wear really good jewelry with it in tasteful amount. If you wear a sweater, it will be warmer and you can put something under it that doesn't show and then change that so you don't need to launder the sweater. Nice dress pants.

5. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I think it would be fine. It would look exotic but on the other hand everyone is aware of that you are not from the US.

I am always trying to comfort myself (visiting India often for business trips and never know what to wear) that I am anyway this weird lady from abroad so it does not matter what I wear. I will look strange anyway ... :)

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Even in the West Coast where dressing is a lot more casual..Kurta for business meetings is typically not recommended. No matter what ur ethnicity. For NE I would seriously re-think.
    Formal trousers + blouse+ a nice sweater a colorful scarf to cut the monotony of blacks and grays + shoes + very light jewelry(pearl /diamond )would be my choice.

7. aamini

aamini Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for all your replies...i will go for shopping this weekend...
    My only concern is I should not feel concious....and definitely I will not carry that costumes well with my hairstyle :(.

I will definetely go for formal trousers than any skirts/dress.

Thanks for the tip of sweater. I would not just make me warm and also comfortable that I am not wearing anything new..

I used to wear formal trousers and shirts before marriage for abroad trips...I was very thin that time. Now I am fat and long gap wearing those...