1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dreading Documentaries

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@satchidananda - I loved your dispassionate review. Yes, there should have been more views on how abnormal people felt it was. I'm not sure on kids viewing it though. I wouldn't want any irrational fears being created in their minds based on this. Kids need to be told that there are dangerous people out there though.

Regarding the civilian clothes, I saw a documentary once of a serial rapist in the US long ago. He was a convicted criminal and was in civilian clothes for the interview.
    He blamed the victims too based on something and there was nobody correcting him. Afterwards there were views of others and especially his survivors. There was also a psychologist who was spoke about why this is a sociopathic person and why his views are not part of the General society and why "victim blaming" isn't helpful. First time I heard the term was back then.

And regarding correcting these guys, if 2.5yrs in tihar didn't teach them anything, then what would? They truly "earned" the death penalty. I hope the prosecution uses their views from the documentary to buy them their penalty.

@Gauri03 - I wanted to strangle the creep through the TV Screen. That being said, I personally felt people seeng this(both men and women) should realize that only criminals and people who defend the criminals think like that not regular people. I thought that may help in the long run, that the idea of women bringing it on themselves will not be propogated because people thinking like that dont deserve to be in general society.

Regarding the parents I felt they spoke about their daughter and gave her an identity. To hear it from the parents, that's what made it real for me.

I have some questions for LU. You anyway broke the law and went agsinst the contract. Why didn't you do the Indians a big favor and telecast that juvenile's face and name? Come December he's going to be a free man. Who wants him as a neighbor/driver/worker in kids school/security guy/peon etc? Why, since you anyway have no regard for the Indian laws, did you choose to withhold his name?

7 people like this.
  2. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

I think the one lesson this documentary holds for other such criminals is that you can no longer commit such crimes, and get away with it. That people will not accept such justifications that the girl provoked some one to do such heinous crimes.

Of course, would have been even better if the juvenile was also sentenced.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

At the risk of quoting myself:
    We had a meeting today. Many of them became quite uneasy as soon as we started the topic. A handful of them left giving excuses. Out of those that stayed, it was a mix of working women , not-working women and teenage kids (girls).
    Everyone was interested in watching the documentary. Since a few of us (me included) watched the full documentary previously, we split into small groups and we helped the others finish watching the documentary (we translated based on their preference of language).
    All women agreed that what happened to Nirbhaya was unfortunate and the rapist should be punished severely and quickly. Plus everyone agreed that sexual harassment and gender inequality has been part and parcel of their life.
    The demand for the right to choose what we want to wear is prominent among mostly well-educated women in higher paying jobs. The rest have a strong belief that wearing a saree or a salwar kameez with dupatta is the right attire. Few women think that wearing anything other than saree/sk will be an invite for rape.
    All women are facing gender inequality mostly at work. Whatever jobs they are at didn't matter. It was obvious that most women are scared of getting judged/harmed some way (in some cases even getting yelled at by a male superior/colleague. One lady mentioned that her boss shouts/yells almost all the time to get his job done and is very scared of speaking up).
    Most women agreed that they treat their sons and daughters differently. Educated/uneducated/working/not-working categories did not make a difference here. They were taught by their parents/grandparents that a boy and a girl should be treated/brought up differently and they are following the same. They are not ready to even look at this from a different perspective for a change. (Some women tried to justify this belief quoting that the victim should have stayed back home instead of going out with the boy. Then the incident wouldn't have happened)
    This was the hardest part to talk about.
    I cannot blame them completely, since they are trying to 'fit-in' and trying 'to give a better life/future for their children when compared to their own'. This only makes them 'adjust' to anything that happens/happened to them.
    We discussed/pointed out things that need change and how they can make it happen. I hope at least one benefited from this session today.

10 people like this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Agreed at least after the gruesome incident, the government should have brought a law on a fasttrack that gruesome crimes like rape followed by murder will have death as mandatory sentence Juvenile or no juvenile.Too bad the two successive governments did nothing on that front except to shed crocodeile tears for rape victims.

2 people like this.
  5. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

We had last week a gang rape in my country. The victim was not murdered and there were less violence involved but still a very serious crime. I can still see the similarities. A group of young men outside of the society, coming from a culture where women are considered less than men. May also been the exposure to war and violence that play a role. The offenders are now caught and the court hearings are starting. The discussions on the social media have heated up. Talks about deporting everyone belonging to this group, mob justice (having skin heads beating up everyone belonging to this ethnic grouo), politicians talking about failed immigration policies.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Frankly I think immigration policies have gone haywire over most of Europe. We are forgetting the dictum "When in Rome do as Romans do". As for rape , there are no extenuating circumstances like the rapist came from war-torn background or underprivileged background.

2 people like this.
  7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

At least in my country the immigration is on a very moderate level. A rapist is a rapist and deserves the punishment independent on what his circumstances are. But people coming from bad circumstances have a higher crime rate (including rape) and that is why it is important to influence those factors.

8. vrikshakadali

vrikshakadali Silver IL'ite

Sorry to bring in a political angle here but the AAP candidate from S Bangalore was arguing at the time for a ) no death penalty and b) juvenile was from a deprived background and that he needs `care and guidance`. AFAIK the juvenile rapist was the one who pulled out the girl's innards... gruesome, and imagine after 3 years in reform school this abnormal young person is out as part of society.

Western countries like UK apply adult punishment to juveniles based on the nature of the crime and this case justified I think to have treated the juvenile criminal as an adult.

3 people like this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Though I am a AAP sympathizer, I am dead against that candidate's opinion. In my view rape should have life imprisonment without parole and rape with murder should be punished only by death sentence.And by life imprisonment I mean REAL life imprisonment, not just letting the criminal get away after about a decade plus in jai..

3 people like this.
  10. vrikshakadali

vrikshakadali Silver IL'ite

And I am not an AAP supporter for many such other reasons because the views and ideology of its leaders are troubling to me !