1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Drastic or Gradual???

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by shivachoubey, Mar 18, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

When we think of weight loss the picture that comes in our mind is of very less food. If you are fat then in all probability, no matter how much you deny this fact, you love eating and are a heavy eater. When I tell people that start by reducing little they are always confused. So I thought I will put the mathematics behind the logic in an article so that it will clear things up.

1. Fat days diet - In past my breakfasts were always heavy (and still are), my lunch and dinner typically were 2 rotis and a good amount of rice with dhal and sabj. In between meals there will endless munching on namkeens, chips etc. Then I googled the sites which told me my calorie consumption to be at 85 Kgs. I was taking above 2500 calories to be on that weight. So as long as I was eating that amount of food, following that lifestyle my weight was stuck at 85 Kgs. To gain I had to eat more to lose I had to eat less.

2. The weight shift - Its very simple. Bringing in the exercise no matter how small will burn calories and making a little diet shift also make sure the calorie intake is less so the weight shifts.

3. Why shouldn't I drastically reduce my appetite - Recently I met a person whose reaction after knowing that I reduced 19 kgs of weight was "I lost 15 kgs in 4 months, but the difficult part is maintaining". She gained all her weight back. This is what happens when you make drastic changes. To me maintaining is a natural process as my eating habbits have changed for good. To go back to 85kgs I have to eat above 2500 calories with no exercise at all.

So when you drastically change your diet - you are suppressing hunger and of course restricting yourself. The probability of feeling frustrated and losing control is extremely high. People who lose weight quickly also gain it back quickly. The fault lies behind controlling yourself too much so that one day you break.

4. Slowly reducing the diet - This will trick your mind in thinking that nothing much has changed so satisfaction level is always maintained. Usually body takes time to adapt to the new change in diet. So reduce a little till your weight stops dropping further and then again make a change

So here are the steps

1. If you eat 6 rotis, make a change to 4 (not 2) and include exercise. Stick to this regime till your weight stops dropping. when the weight doesn't move go to step 2.

2. Shift to 2 rotis and increase exercise. Stick to this regime till your weight stop dropping. When the weight doesn't move go to step 3.

3. By the time you have reached step 3 you have lost considerable amount of weight, in the process you have also trained your body to eat less. Finally make an adjustment to the diet to drop off the last kilos.

Just in case if you still do not believe, I suggest trying never hurts. Follow the above steps, avoid high calorie food and see the difference.

Why eat extremely less and end up feeling hungry and frustrated when the results can be achieved by eating the same food and gradually decreasing the amount.

If you want to lose weight, eat yummy food for life and still look thin then you will have to teach yourself the art of eating less. The weight maintenance should be a natural process, you should not fight to maintain your weight. You will have to train your body to eat the amount of food that you can burn off easily. This can only be achieved slowly and gradually.

Always remember that in the end the Tortoise always win.

2. shivachoubey

Thank You for your kind words. Yes this is in response to your query. What you asked was genuine, many ladies ask me the same question. So I thought may be this article will make sense.

Yeh this time your weight loss will happen for sure, just give me a shout if you need any help.

Lots of love

regards

SHiva

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

superb....I learnt it the hard way...i too tried to stop eating lunch totally to loose my waist line and it turned out by evening iw as too tired and feeling dizzy :(

now i am eating but ensuring that i eat less of rice and more of curries or wheat bread. some how i dont get this motivation to do work out as i have to do it alone..i tried to get some exercise buddies but seems like none of them are interested in exercise...lets see i was planning to go for a jog this weekend..

Shiva

please suggest some tips for me to loose weight on my lower body (thighs, stomach etc)

4. shivachoubey

If you can't workout alone, then join a gym, you will make friends there. Jogging is great, start slow and then build up your stamina.

If you want to tone up your thighs then learn squats. Do 25 counts of 2 sets. Walking and Jogging will also take care of this area.

As for the stomach, try reducing your weight first and then target the stomach for toning. As you will lose weight so will you lose your stomach.

If you are bored to exercise, make a list of activities you can do like swimming, dancing etc. They are fun and burn lot of calories.

Usually, in the beginning we all feel bored. But then its just for an hour, in my case I tell myself that this is a must, like taking a bath everyday. Once doing exercise becomes a must, you do it even if you are bored of it. Like if you feel bored to walk alone, still do it. The days you don't feel like walking, wear your clothes and walk anyway. I did that, that is how I trained myself to keep working out through out an hour. I am bored but I am still on the machine working out or the terrace walking :)

Hope this helps.

All the best for your weight loss, keep me posted about your progress.

regards

SHiva

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shiva, as usual a great tip from you. Before in college days I was like this. I just gave up having dinner
    .My last food of day was tea and snacks. I drastically reduced that time but luckily for me the college closed and I was at home for 3months were I worked out on thread mill for 45mts daily and was always eating less due to boredom. Thus I was able to maintain it. But its only recently I came to know about portion control and nwo its every where.

6. shivachoubey

Thanks for reading the post and appreciating. Once a friend of mine told me something which really had an impact on me. He said"Decide for yourself, In your old age do you want to completely give up food you like or do you want to keep eating the food you like but in small quantities". I would like to eat my lovely food as long as I live but in small quantities.

Have a great day ahead Ami.

regards

SHiva

7. apelsin

apelsin New IL'ite

Hi,
    Very nice tips! The best time to stop eating is when you still feel a little bit hungry! it works in my case at least! Also basen roti , basen ( gram flour ) vegetable dosa helps in weight control.

8. shivachoubey

Thanks for sharing the tips, I will also try besan roti and besan dosa. Sounds yummy to me.

regards

Shiva

9. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shiva
    Very useful article. I'm always on a yo-yo diet when the fad takes over and then i go for ages without a thought about what goes into my mouth ! I hate the word diet, precisely because it conjures up horror pictures of tasteless, joyless plates ! And I simply decieve myself saying I'll eat all I want and burn it off with exercises and walking. Of course the first part goes well, the second part always falls short !:)

The weight maintenance should be a natural process, you should not fight to maintain your weight.
    Thank goodness, theres this sensible alternative thats attractive too !:thumbsup

10. shivachoubey

hahahaha somehow whenever I read your articles I never thought you need to diet. I dunno why but this is how I pictured you, thin and sweet not to forget sexy too :).

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva