Down Syndrome(1:85)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sheel, Nov 9, 2011.

1. sheel

sheel Bronze IL'ite

What does it mean..

Posterior risk for Down syndrome (1:85) Its high risk..What risk is in my pregnancy..I do not understand what is down syndrome..

2. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Dear Sheel,

Down syndrome (DS), also called Trisomy 21, is a condition in which extra genetic material causes delays in the way a child develops, both mentally and physically.

Basically, your 1st trimester scan determines the probability of your child being born with Down's syndrome. Your results 1:85 means, 1 in every 85 babies will be born with Down's. This is considered a high risk. Though there is a possibility that 84 times out of 85 your baby will be normal:)

However, the screening test can only estimate the risk of your baby having Down's, you will need to undergo a a diagnostic test, such as amniocentesis to give you a definite diagnosis (but also carries a small risk of miscarriage).

3. sheel

sheel Bronze IL'ite

In NT scan it was 1:1300 and I had Triple Marker blood test and it came out to be 1:85.Not sure why it hapenned all of a sudden..I am much worried now..I have doctors appointment tomorrow..I hope everything is ok..

4. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Sheel,
    Google Down syndrome to know more about it.
    Also, the only test which can give you an 100% accurate answer is amniocentesis.
    Are you in India? I don't know if they do the amniocentesis test in India.

5. inlovewithmylyf

inlovewithmylyf Platinum IL'ite

Sheel, u dont have to worry... Th blood test often gives a false result... 1:85 does not mean tht ur child has down syndrome... Its just statistics... Only an amniocentesis can give an exact positive or negative... I think ur carrying twins, tht could also be a reason for u getting 1:85, I think... But if the NT scan says 1:1300, then ur not at risk... Don't worry about this... If ur still not convinced, may be ur doc will ask u if u wanna do an amniocentesis... But with tht the risk of miscarriage is 1-3%... Anyways, discuss this with ur doc tomorrow n see what she is suggesting... Don't get tensed... Take care...

6. sheel

sheel Bronze IL'ite

Thanks @inlove ..NT scan was done a month prior..Not sure what tends it to change in one month..Keeping my fingers crossed..

ars: i did google but always IL's gives much experienced answers than google..I am not sure amniocentesis is there in India or not..Need to check with doctor..

7. inlovewithmylyf

Amniocentesis is done in India... But before u go for tht, have a thorough discussion with ur doc about the pros n cons of doin tht... Sheel, thts what I told u, do not rely on the blood tests, they are not always correct... N thts just numbers n nothing else... Only ur doc can tell u what u need to do next... I don't think u have to worry about this much... Anyways, tomo when u go ask ur doc about everything... Take care...

8. sheel

sheel Bronze IL'ite

Thanks inlove..Will update after tomorrows appointment.

9. inlovewithmylyf

Ok Sheel, wish u good luck... :)

10. sheel

sheel Bronze IL'ite

One more thing..

I have prior risk of Down Syndrome as 1:1300 and Posterior RIsk for down syndrome as 1:85.

I assumed first one as NT scan. Not sure whats the diff..any idea on that?