Double Suicide In Merces

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Amica, Dec 1, 2016.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

@Amica, the original story was dated 6 years ago, so I doubt we'll get any further insights.
    It is clear that this couple was far from happy or well adjusted. They seemed estranged from the entire world, and probably spiraled into a deep depression. At least they had the awareness not to take others down with them.

Amica, blindpup10 and madras2018 like this.
  2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing. Learnt something new today.

Amica likes this.
  3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

After reading about this couple who seemed okay in other ways but just more aloof than the average joe, i wonder why the word depression must be applied to anyone who commits or attempts to commit suicide.

The right to die at one's own free will is upheld in certain situations. For eg the swiss clinic Dignitas helps terminally ill people who want to die in dignity and on their own terms. Agreed that even they stop short on assisted suicide of healthy individuals due to legal issues.

But is it not possible for a perfectly healthy individual to feel that they have no interest in mortal life anymore ? That they checked off all their boxes and now want to be done with the business of living ? A bit like tourists who want to put an early end to their vacation because they completed everything they wanted to do. Whereas the other "tourists" think something is wrong with them to want to leave "paradise" early.

I would be interested to hear from a medical or psychology professional why the desire to die at one's will is deemed unhealthy or symptomatic of depression ?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Amica likes this.
  4. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Looks like you were on the right idea though.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Amica and blindpup10 like this.
  5. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

This post reminded me of this quote "If you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you".

Suicide need not necessarily be a bad option. It is the outlook we have about suicide that makes us see it as immoral, cowardly or illegal. The term suicide usually makes one think that the person was mentally ill and that it cannot simply be a person's way to stop living after logical thinking.
    We see/hear about it often in a such way that it is against the norm which makes us believe it. In reality, there is no clear distinction on why suicide should be considered a lowly act.

In case of this couple, many might perceive this suicide as an unwise decision because they had the ability to give to others. This is just a view of the opponent. No one can really know what they really dealt with or if they owned the ability to serve back to the society.
    Say the story narrated them donating all their wealth to a charity and also added a bit about bitterness with their families in the note, the suicide may be considered noteworthy but forced by family's behaviour and that they had no choice.

This question can have multiple answers based on a specific aspect of the society. Every day can bring a new mystery, may be some hope or a reason to live. So its better to wait and watch than kill self, IMO. If a suicidal person must live no matter what, it means every person must live no matter what. And every person owes it to himself or herself to live rather than for the society.

Amica likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I work in a setting with a lot of medical professionals: doctors, nurses and allied personnel. Many a time they see people looking perfectly happy on the outside but being roiled internally. We lost a close colleague to suicide a couple of years ago and no one suspected anything was amiss till he was gone, when all the skeletons came tumbling out. While it is certainly possible for anyone to up and decide they want to check out, many a time there is an underlying reason.

Amica likes this.
  7. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I think right to die is always been there even if it's condoned, made illegal- I think that's something that's considered as a part of human intelligence.
    We all choose to live, we wake up, we all go about doing our day's business.
    We can end it if we want to- but normal people usually don't think of extreme coz we hang on to the small thread called hope. I believe this hope keeps us going further in life.
    Animals on the other hand also go about days business but I don't believe they have a choice in ending their life.

Good one.
    Yes, you are right.. I agree that a healthy individual feeling no interest in life is perfect but it's a bit uncommon- but I will understand if I am explained why he/she feels life is not interesting.

I am one among the 99% of the population who feels that we are driven by desires or "aase" ( no equivalent word in English except for want or desire).

So why did the couple lose this desire to live? If its not something bad that they experienced, what made them feel their life is saturated at late 30's?
    Late 30's is still young- I truly believe they haven't lived through everything. Every age has its own sweetness to be enjoyed.
    Maybe they weren't looking to fulfill everything- maybe they felt- what they have lived, enjoyed is satisfying for them.

I find the couple to be more than aloof- like shaving their heads, not socializing, discarding their personal possession, tearing up their books ( not wanting to own books but want to read it- is something that puzzled me)- why will they want to read it and throw it away? It sounds like they had made up their mind to just accumulate knowledge and nothing else.
    If the couple were after knowledge-- Why weren't this couple eager to gain more? There is always something that we don't know about.
    Shaving head, giving away possession shows that they choose hermit lifestyle. Maybe they weren't depressed- but didn't see any hope to continue living.

Is losing hope a form of depression?

Amica likes this.
  8. PhoenixAwoken

PhoenixAwoken Bronze IL'ite

What if they were caught up in some sort of cartel?
    What if it wasn't suicide at all?
    Never know

Amica likes this.