Double Suicide In Merces

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Amica, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for this perspective. I was judging them unfairly. :blush:

2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Suicide is against the law in most countries — including India IIRC.

I think this will remain a mystery.

It's sad to hear about your neighbor's isolation. I hope she gets help.

What a terrible tragedy! :(

3. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I agree. I don't understand the law either.

Some countries are now legalizing assisted suicide. I think this is a step in the right direction. If potential suicides seek help with termination of life, it will make it possible for professionals to offer psychiatric help as an alternative. In any case, it is better than the agony of dealing with burdens in solitude.

4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

There are so many unanswered questions. :(

5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Yeah, the journalist has written the story like a fictional mystery story. :shakehead:

We'll never know whether mental illness was the cause or result of the estrangement.

If they had been in touch with family, maybe someone would have recognized the signs and encouraged them to get help.

Thanks to the Internet, many people — especially young people — don't go out as much as before. It's unhealthy and scary. :worried:

6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Whoa, @madras2018! Both those links lead to horrifically tragic stories.

:hmmm: I don't identify with any of these victims, but I like closure. I hope there's an update with rational info rather than the dramatic narration of the link in the OP.

Awww I'm glad you came across that childhood treasure. :)

My stuff is long gone. Probably just as well since I was a shallow and materialistic kid. :blush:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

This story reminds me that money isn't everything in life. Meaningful relationships matter so much more. We all need to look out for each other more.

PhoenixAwoken and blindpup10 like this.
  8. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I read up on how suicide is illegal- but what's the point really...
    People who want to commit suicide will do it anyway.
    And If at all they survive the suicide attempt- they have to sit behind bars?:eek:
    I bet the survivor -will be going through much more trauma after the failed attempt. Why punish them later instead of offering help and preventing suicide attempts.

Why isn't mental health taken seriously in India? Why hasn't there be an awareness on this topic?
    the first time I saw bipolar disorder in Indian newspaper is because of Honey Singh.

Yo Yo Honey Singh: I must confess that I was bipolar and an alcoholic. It was scary! - Times of India

The rich, celebrity can afford treatment and even welcomed back into society after made an example out of them-

Can a common man be given the same encouragement or same facility?

Lack of mental health care and awareness in India is mindboggling.

Amica, anika987 and madras2018 like this.
  9. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Attempt to suicide has been decriminalised in India. A bill was introduced back in 2013 and per wikipedia it was passed and made as law this year.

"The Mental Health Care Bill was introduced to the Rajya Sabha on August 19, 2013 and provides, in article 124, that "Notwithstanding anything contained in section 309 of the Indian Penal Code, any person who attempts to commit suicide shall be presumed, unless proved otherwise, to be suffering from mental illness at the time of attempting suicide and shall not be liable to punishment under the said section." It also provides that the Government shall have the duty to provide medical care to any such person attempting suicide. The Bill, therefore, does not repeal Section 309 of the Indian Penal Code, but merely provides the presumption of mental illness.

Rajya Sabha on August 8, 2016 decriminalized the Offence of Attempt to Suicide by passing Mental Healthcare Bill[13"

Amica likes this.
  10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Hmmmm, interesting, sad, sad story. Freud wrote in "Beyond the Pleasure Principle" that "the goal of all life is death" - in speaking of the tension between eros and thanatos, maybe he did see something. Sartre and Kierkegaard worried about this kind of either/or fatal attraction as well. It is disturbing when the cold clammy hands of seemingly abstract philosophy reach out to touch you. I suppose we can only be glad their death wish wasn't directed outward.

I didn't follow the link, read the article or the suicide note; but that Mumbai Mirror quote in the OP seems to suggest a rather constricted view of the world, centered around themselves. If one is generally healthy and yet is overcome by a desire for annihilation, why choose the abyss? Why not "throw your life away" in service to others? Is it really your life and yours alone?

Non nobis solum sed toti mundo nati.

Amica likes this.