Double Suicide In Merces

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Amica, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I read this story last week and it still haunts me.

We've lived a full life, now we choose to end it.

Does anyone have any updated info?

Regardless of the reason for making this decision, should suicide be illegal?

What are your thoughts? Do we owe it to society to live no matter what?

jskls likes this.

2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I'm flummoxed by the parents. The suicides may be explained by depression or by folie à deux. But I simply can't wrap my head around the parents not showing up for their children's funerals even if they were estranged during their lifetimes. What can a child possibly do to cause a parent to make this decision?

madras2018 likes this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Heart wrenching to read such things! Depression need to be adressed early.

Amica likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Survival instinct. The parents did what they needed to. Maybe.

Child preceding parent in death is sad. In such circumstances, even more so. Parents might have wanted to avoid media and any police or investigation hassles.

Sparkle, guesshoo and Amica like this.
  5. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I don't think suicide can be made legal or illegal. Suicide can be condoned---
    If we go by the logic- all illegal products somehow popular and people find a way to get hold of it.
    Won't suicide become popular?

This was a very heartbreaking read- Wonder why the couple did commit suicide. Maybe they didn't want to live alone forever. Maybe they couldn't find friends of their wavelength or maybe they both were dealing with depression.

Not related to this topic but when I read the couple were Bohemian lifestyle I wanted to share this-

I have a neighbor who I went to school with. She is my age, still single, isn't really eager to get married, She is very pretty 5.6 tall, fair, an Architect (doesn't really practice), vegan, doesn't wear leather, silk clothing coz they are the by-product of animal. She doesn't really have any friends (we had common friends) who have all got married, moved on in life- she has nothing in common with any of us. I feel she has been dealing with depression for a long time.Her parents really want her to get married. She talks to few guys online and says NO to every match that her parents show. But what strikes me similar with the post and my friend is she hardly get out of the house. She is always at home. Based on this behavior I am going to say that the couple were deeply depressed and may be living became very difficult for them.

Another incident- During my undergrad school- I had an acquaintance and later I and he found out that his sister and my sister were tuition buddies. This acquaintance is from a very rich family- his father had some factories. Long story short- a few years ago I found out through my sister that his sister committed suicide coz her first bf broke up with her.
    Given the history, richness, family- I felt bad for my friend. But at the same time- it made sense why the girl did what she did. ( I am not saying it the right thing)
    The girl seemed to have given everything in life- they have never said NO to her... when she faced rejection for the first time. I think she couldn't handle it.

Maybe pain is what pushes people to end their life?

Amica and anika987 like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Everyone's life is theirs to do as they wish. I never understood criminalizing suicide. This is a haunting story. What was the reason- depression, ennui, anhedonia? There are plenty of red flags in the couple's behavior. Anyway, they found their peace.

guesshoo, Amica and anika987 like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Well how can both of them be in depression at the same time??something seems amiss..

Do they have kids?were they upset they could not have a child of their own??were they bored in life?they don't seem to be having debt either.
    Was there some hidden secret which they were scared of?

Whatever it could be,am sad to here news like these...RIP their souls

Sparkle and Amica like this.
  8. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

The whole article seem like a movie script . But as they say truth has always been stranger than fiction !

May be the depression of non acceptance from Ananad"s parents was eating them . They were too young to called it off .

Their lifestyle although scared me something I am always fascianated by ..friendless along with books and movie... I guess in long runs all need a shoulder ... a real one to cry or laugh along !

Surprising sad and provocative news !

Amica likes this.
  9. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Dear @Amica -

I've come across similar such cases via the media. One such is this
    Kolkata man found living with sister’s corpse and dead dog for past six months

Wretched story of wretched lives. I usually get a bit disturbed because death due to a feeling of helplessness or dementia is a scary thing. It can happen to anyone. Even those who assume they are safely ensconced in family life (as of today) with a husband and kids as things can turn on a dime.

In my own situation as a soon to be single woman again I feel a sense of unease when I read stories of dynamic single women who were killed by men in India for various reasons. The recent death of Monika Ghurde being most notable.

I think such stories touch us in some ways as we see bits and pieces of ourselves and our lives in the people who died. In the goa mercer double suicide case - it may be the fact that both were educated people, well travelled with an intellectual bent of mind who made it on their steam. Something many of us can identify with. It then makes us question if by some quirk of fate, if we too will be forced to consider such depressing choices. Human mind is a very powerful imaginative thing.

But this is what I now do when I come across such sad, depressing stories - I try not to delve too deep. I have stopped searching google news for updates on such cases. I have made a commitment to myself that it is up to me to give my life meaning. These people had everything but lacked a sense of purpose in their lives. Either they lacked it to begin with or they lost it along the way, beaten by life's problems.

I think it's important for each of us to persevere to lend meaning and purpose. If it doesn't exist, then we must find one. I had a framed picture in my room during my childhood which I recently found again in the attic. It's a photo of a beautiful house in the woods, safe from life's troubles, a visual of a picture perfect life with a message that basically says

"Life doesn't come with meaning and purpose .We have to make it worth living "

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Amica likes this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I totally agree. Depression needs to be taken seriously and treated ASAP.

Sadly, in this case, there was no objective friend/relative who could have intervened in any way. :(

jskls likes this.