1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Double Big Fat South Indian Wedding

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sapnaHYD, Mar 3, 2011.

1. sapnaHYD

sapnaHYD Gold IL'ite

There’s this BIG fat Indian wedding happened in Hyd on February 25th and in the news as one of the BIGGEST weddings in India. The two sons of Newzealand NRI industrialist S Ravindra from Hyderabad, 'Rohit' and 'Ranjit' got married at the GMR arena in the city.

Here are the details:

• The main wedding ceremony happened on February 25 with an underwater theme and a Jhoda-Akbar theme too. Wizcraft has been designing the set for about two months and is rumored to cost several Crores.
    • The brides were wearing Manish Malhotra lehengas for the wedding, and Versace gowns for the reception
    • The grooms’ parents, Ravindra has chosen an Armani creation and Anupama Ravindra wore a Manish Malhotra creation
    • Tribhovandas Bhimji Zaveri (TBZ) are the exclusive jewellery brand for the wedding
    • The concept of the wedding invitation was conceived by Anupama Ravindra and executed by EDC (Entertainment Design Co.) from Delhi – the wedding card comes with pearls and costs around 10,000rs each (approximately 10,000 guests have been invited.)
    • In between there is a middle-eastern theme part where half an acre will be filled with sand to convert the area into a dessert where belly dancers from Dubai and Russia will entertain guests.
    • Especially for the event, 3 custom-made watches will be worn by the grooms Rohit and Ranjit. The grooms’ father Ravindra will wear a watch, designed by Rolex
    • The cooks are from a traditional family with a lineage of over 200 years. The menu is expected to feature Kakori, Shammi, Ghutwa, Boti and Sheek Kababs, apart from Nawabi kormas and Hyderabadi biryani and other stuff.
    • NDTV’s Big Fat Indian Wedding crew are flying into town to cover the wedding.
    • A pink Mercedes, one of its kind in India has been bought to ferry the brides around town.
    • The pre-wedding festivities have been on since Sunday with mehndi-sangeet and each day, from Monday to Thursday are theme parties in Nizami, Bengali, Rajasthani and Punjabi styles. There is even a post-wedding press conference on March 1 and a `high-profile reception’ in Auckland in New Zealand where the family lives.

check this links for their marraige photo gallery:
    NRI SONS WEDDING

DOUBLE BIG FAT WEDDING GALLERY

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

I haven't read about it, but just saw the pictures with the heading 'Rohit and Ranjit Wedding' and thought it was a new movie launch, lol.

So it was actually a marriage event of two brothers. Not at all impressed.

3. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

I'm not surprised. Indian weddings have taken on a life of their own. But really, what's the deal with these 'themes'??? Whatever happened to the theme of.... 'two people getting married'?? Now it's punjabi theme, rajasthani theme, underwater theme, sand in a field theme.... it sounds more like a theme park than a wedding. And I think it really takes away from what the ceremony is SUPPOSED to be about. Although it looks like fun, it also looks tiring, over the top, and superficial. Not a wedding I'd want for myself, even if I had that much money to blow. I think small, solemn ceremonies where the couple and the rituals are honored, like the ones Aishwarya Rai and Konkona Sen Sharma had, are much more beautiful.

4. amnice

amnice Bronze IL'ite

Hey!....So much of that money they are blowing up will be actually 'black money' the dad must be saying inside......" good riddance" ...........YES! that is what the family must be thinking and smiling inside.
    And some people get too carried away at that extravagance and that pomp and show.

Personally, when I see such things I get a nauseous feeling and I myself would feel suffocated if all that show was put up at my wedding.

I like simple wedding with real emotions running high and I dont think that can even be thought about in such blown up weddings where you get to meet fake people with fake smiles and fake laughter and wait a minute.....fake tears too!!!............ha!ha!ha!

asg, you are right. Is it a wedding or a theme park? I always disliked the idea of theme parks when I was in US (the reason is another story though) and now this idea is catching up in Indian weddings???...................PUKE!!

OP: I just expressed my personal feelings towards such big fat weddings and nothing towards your thread.......and btw thanks to you for posting pictures and starting this thread.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  5. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

The more I see the pictures, the more I am convinced that it's a movie night and not a marriage. I mean look at the grooms and bride, they look like actors too.

Amnice, You are right. That's the black money floating.

Anyways, may god bless them with happy married life.

6. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I would not judge it as balck money, There are NRI's and residents of New Zeland and not Indian residents, they might be really rich.

Actually I see that they have given business worth of several crores to locals in a short a short span of two months, Which is good.

Yes, Agree that entire thing looks more like a movie. But that's thier wish.

7. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Rich show of MONEY and gaga events it did not look like a personal wedding and asirwads just a social function like an event --but imagination were good --themes too were good..nice entertaiment ..the girls looked very young were they twins ?...thanks for sharing this event would have surely missed it :):)

8. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Yes that's a good point, the wedding would have given good business to a lot of vendors like caterer, dj's, entertainers, the hotels, etc.

9. sapnaHYD

sapnaHYD Gold IL'ite

ya these two brides are sisters itseems..it looks realy like a movie award function.They had seven days of marriage celebrations but no traditional andhra marraige rituals are performed itseems.even they didnt tie the thaali also.

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

and the most horrible part of attending such weddings is standing in a queue to go and greet the bride and groom and give them their gift, pose with them for a picture - evidence that you attended and gave something. the lavish spreads from one end to another leave one confused and wondering what to eat and what not to try. and what peeves me even more is when no one has any time to attend to the guests. you just smile, shake hands with some people, either eat something or just leave. this is no exaggeration, but what really happens at all these high society wedding receptions.