1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Consume more Soya!

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by safa, Oct 11, 2006.

1. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Safa, thanks for posting this informative article.

I've had a bad experience with Soya too. When i came to the U.S initially, i started taking Soya milk everyday with a bowl of cereal & started having minor stomach discomfort. I thought it was to do with the sudden climatic change, but when it continued, i suspected it was something to do with my diet. When i introspected on what i had added in my diet recently, without a doubt, it was soya......i stopped consuming it completely & then i felt better & the discomfort vanished to my relief.

But until i read this, i hadn't realised soya when consumed everyday does so much damage to the body. I had thought that it probably didn't suit me.

After reading Vandhana's post, i understand that taking it everyday no doubt can be harmful. Thanks Vandhana!!

Ragini.

2. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

There is a greater percentage of lactose intolerent people in China and Japan and that was one reason why Soy became popular in these cultures. And slowly spread across the world. Anything eaten in moderation should be fine.

Here is a link that speaks of the damage that soy can cause.

Soybeans Can Damage Your Health

1 person likes this.
  3. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Hi safa,
    I am now worried after reading your post. Few years back i was browsing on the internet and came across a host of websites related to the dangers of soya. I learned that in olden days in China soya was consumed only in drought conditions!
    I am worried because my 6th month old son is moderately allergic to cow's milk and on the doctor's recommendation we started switiching him to soy-based formula 3 weeks ago!

It is a strange phenomena here in the US that children born to parents born and brought up in India and China have all sorts of allergies (milk, peanuts...) Who ever heard of peanut allergies in India!

Gayathri

4. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

I was also thinking to give my 3yr old soymilk as I have to battle with her to make her drink whole milk.She likes Soymilk very much.

But after reading this post...my battle continues......

3 people like this.
  5. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing this information.
    Yes, Soy products will affect thyroid very much and I never took soy products.

~Punitha

6. hemalrai

hemalrai New IL'ite

I remember my friend who was pregnant &was advised by Dr.to have a glass of soymilk everyday. Later as pegnancy progressed she found her liver enzymes were very high .Delivery became stessful .:idea:thankyou2:But still she takes soymilk sometimes when she is tired -backpains &leftlegpains &extremely tired.Her baby is now 1 yr. old:spinI shall surely convey her ur experiences.Thanks

7. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Safa,Thanks for the info!All the while I was feeling bad that I do not have much of soya products in my food.Thanks to my memory..Everytime I think I shud get Soya from the supermarket,I tend to forget.Once agin thanks for the info!

8. ds0612

ds0612 Bronze IL'ite

this is a realy great information...Thanks for posting it!! i was caught unawares..i used to think drinking soy milk woudl be good...

9. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

What about males? :hiya...do soy products do any harm to them as well?

I am concerned because my husband is into soy milk.

Any info?

Thanks,
    Jay!