1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

dollar Tree Items: Is it worth buying?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by AnanyaAjay, Jan 13, 2012.

1. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

Please tell me whether it is worth to buy items from Dollar Tree. Like Crayons, pencils, pens, etc.

Coz once I bought 2 Nail paint gift sets of $5/- each of Dora and Disney characters from Walmart (10 nail paints in each box). But they are not actual nail polishes I think, because when I apply to my DD its almost not visible (even after applying 4-5 coats). It looked so attractive that I couldn't resist to buy 2. Now I repent that I wasted $10...

So before buying I want to make sure they can be used...

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Depends on what you buy....Crayons, pencils, greeting cards, and small toys are o.k....My DS is 21/2 yrs and he breaks all the crayons..And he doesn't play with broken crayons....So I buy them there...DS gets bored with his toys...So I tend to buy small toys from the dollar store so that he has some variety...

3. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

even with crayons i am not happy with the quality. i felt like they were like flour paste!! buying al foils, trays or some puzzle books, sudoku are all ok. but, again, nowadays, round trays are all cheaper even in indian stores(2 for 1$).

4. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

thanks Sudha and Ami for ur replies...

Yes even I do feel the quality is not good... But i agree with Sudha that for small children who don't even know how to colour its ok to buy here items like pencils and crayons... Trays evenI dont prefer as they are cheaper in India....

If anyone has any experience plz share it coz i m planning tobuy these to gift to my nieces and cousin's children in India.... After giving they should not feel that its not of any good use.. (As I mentioned the nail polish story) I can't give the other pack to anyone now...

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

sorry for the confusion, meant al. foil tray for parties. Pls remember if at all yu want to buy, atleast go to walmart. Nowadays, even in India they are very well aware of the qualities. Forget abt the kids, their parents knew the qualities of crayons and simply put it in the trash and you will end up with bad name. We will also do the same thig if someone gives us some cheap stuff. Birthday party hats, other party stuffs, candles those were good, now dont know. I personally prefer walmart/target is better than dollar stores when comes to small gifts).

6. Sansub

Sansub Bronze IL'ite

I 100% agree with Ami here. Personally I don't buy any stuff from dollar tree. But some things are ok to buy from here I think...But it is always better to go with Walmart of Target.

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Interestingly, several years ago when coasting through Dollar Tree I got on one trip the stainless three part plates (for a dollar each) from India and another time thalis (the compartent kind for serving thalis). You never know what they will have.

1 person likes this.
  8. hometowngirl

hometowngirl New IL'ite

Some times you get good cheap stuffs, I bought a power adaptor converter for cellphone for $1 which would cost $8 in Radio Shack

1 person likes this.