Doggie - our special family member

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by navs23, Jun 13, 2010.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

I am starting this thread to share the special moments that we share with our pets.

Do share any special happenings where your dog/cat acted as if he/she was able to read your thoughts.

Here is my experience to start with.

I have never loved dogs, infact it has always been an extreme hate/fear especially after been chased by a huge bull dog around school campus in my junior high. Little did I know that I would get married into a family which treated a dog almost like a family member :)

One day, I completely froze when I happily went for a stroll outside the house and he came running behind(he was tied until then so not to panic the new dil i think). Ofcourse I did not want to run around the house being chased right on the second day at my il's place :bonk. so, I stood still while he(the dog) appraised me.

I do not know what he thought or understood, but from then till date, he loves me, wags his tail happily when I give him food or biscuits, would sit next to me and like being patted, would welcome by jumping up and down when i enter my il's place after a long journey, but never has tried to chase me or put his paws on my shoulders or even come near me. He loves playing with dh and ils and loves to chase people(just for fun, will never bite). But, somehow, he sensed my fear, my need that he stay away from me, not touch me and till date he respects it. Needless to say, I love him so much and feel very comfortable when he is around. Till date, I cannot believe how he could understand what was going through my mind, but it definitely helped me overcome the hate and fear and start looking at him as part of our family :thumbsup

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

What type of dog is he? Why don't you share a pic of him.

My parents always had dogs but I have had only cats since my 20's due to moving around. My neighbors walk their dogs past my house each day and they come and see me....I love it. As you know, here in USA our pets are considered family members much to the shock of folks from other countries. There is a snoring thread going on in another forum: the other night it was so cold here and the cat got plastered against me in the middle of the night. I woke up at 4am because he had his nose in the hair on the back of my head and his snoring woke me up!

:rotfl

3. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the quick feedback. He is a country dog who just happened to come to our house when he was just 2 days old. My ils offered some milk and since that day he just used to hold his plate between his teeth and come and stand in front of the door when he is hungry and so he came to stay with us permanently :) Will upload the photo soon!
    Nice to hear about your cute cat :thumbsup, I am surprised to learn that cats can snore as well :biglaugh.
    We have a cat as well at ils place and how the dog and cat never fight with each other and happily sit next to each other in total harmony is something beyond our understanding :)
    Oh, forgot to mention, our cat has an annoying habit of expecting us to vacate the sofa when all of us are sitting and there is nothing empty for her to sleep on :bonk , she would stand and stand staring at us until one of us moved out and would immediately jump into it. Also, when she is napping on one of the dining chairs and we try to soosh her away so that we could sit for lunch, she gets real annoyed and would stand and stare for long :biglaugh and she would never ever wag her tail but for when mil(her fav) calls her by name :rotfl

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  4. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Navs,

Great to read about your doggie and the way you started to love him. I always admire dogs who hold their plates, my dogs never did such tricks (we never tried to teach them!!!) :hide:.

A Cat demanding for her place?!!! that is so.... :biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh
    my dogs do that, even when one of us get up and give him one place, he will first sit on it and slowly and firmly push down others so that he can have the entire sofa for himself!. My previous dog - Pintu used to do that!
    Now we have Ruby (female), she is content if we just give her one place, but that has be the corner (of the sofa) that she chose! :biglaugh

My :kiss to you Doggie and Cat :)

5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Custard. Love your sweet name :)
    'Pintu' and Ruby sound so sweet and smart. I cant imagine giving up my fav sofa to anybody(not even to dh, when I am all cozy and settled down comfortably), so when the cat demands, none of us would budge easily, adding to more cold stares from her :biglaugh.
    It is funny to know about Ruby's preference(corner of the sofa), she thinks like me, ofcourse the most cozy place in the entire sofa is the corner :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Navs,
    Nice to know about your experience with your Doggie.
    The same experience I had when my dh and kids decided to get a puppy.
    I was scared when he grew taller. As you had mentioned, he sensed my fear, never come near me, when I give him food or water, but would play with my children and dh.
    They are smart, indeed!

sriniketan

7. Vidya21

Vidya21 Senior IL'ite

Oh this is such a sweet thread! Dogs and cats, indeed all pets seem to have their personalities.

Navs, your experience with your dog is just sweet. Its true that they sense human emotions (and there is even some research on this - its suggested that it gave them an evolutionary advantage as they were domesticated!)

My parents have a German Shephard, he is easily the most sensible soul in the family.

He is a pretty large dog, and visitors are often afraid of entering the residence. So my dad often takes him away to a terrace or something so visitors aren't scared of him. And sadly for dad - the dog seems to think whoever visits the household is visiting him... and so he is majorly pissed when he's lead away like that. He throws a tantrum (a hunger strike, being a brat, moping under a bed for hours etc) when that happens. :crazy

Also, he loves tomatoes, papayas, and all sorts of fruits... when he was a little puppy - he figured that the fruits came from the trees in the garden, and would sit longingly underneath the tree for hours everyday waiting for a papaya to fall from the sky! :rotfl

Oh, I could go on about his antics.

Aren't dogs the most adorable of creatures on the planet - they bring so much love and happiness to our lives. Thanks for starting this thread... I'm looking forward to reading everyone's posts on this one.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  8. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Vidya,

:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaughYour doggie is super :thumbsup

Well, my dogs love Bananas, Mangoes, Apples, carrot,Sprouts, etc. :)

I suggest that u start a thread and keep adding about you dog every day!

9. Vidya21

Vidya21 Senior IL'ite

Custard, Thanks, I only came back to this thread today! I like your signature.

LOL - our dogs are similar in that sense of liking fruits and sprouts!! If only I were as health conscious as them and gave up on the junk food! :biglaugh

I once tried giving him some ice-cream and he hated the idea of not having something to chew on while he ate it; he probably thinks ice-cream is food for the sick or something! :crazy

10. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

I just love this thread.

My story - I had a dog while in school, which died due to old age. After that, it never crossed my mind that I would again raise a dog. But my husband was fond of raising a dog and I never let him. Because we both were working then and there was no one who could take care. My dh tried his best to convince me but failed. So, on Valentine's day 2008, he gifted me a puppy( How smart of him. He knew I wud never let him get a puppy home otherwise). When I saw the cute 28 days old puppy, I could never say NO, and it became an integral part of our lives there-after.

It was a Labrador and very beautiful male puppy. We named him 'Bruno'. We regularly took him to doctor for vaccination regularly. I started doing night shifts to take care of Bruno. A puppy has very similar needs compared to a human baby. I fed him Cerelac around 6 times everyday until it was 3 months old. Then, fed him Weaning for the next 3 months. During this period, I slowly introduced him to rice and rotis. Me and my dh became parents eventually.

We are very attached to the speechless creature. Yet, he understands everything. When my husband gets ready and leaves for work every morning, he would never bark or stop him. But once hes back from work, he never again lets him step out of the house without himself. Though I always fed him right from the beginning, he was pampered a lot by my dh. So, if dh is around, he wont come to me. But if I cry or am sad, he would instantly come to me and start licking my face(I have always been amazed by his quality of understanding when I am distressed or in sorrow).

Bruno is our first son and will ever be. Just like its often said that bringing a baby into life reduces the fights and misunderstandings between husband-wife, Bruno did the same. Our arguments came down. Because we had something important to take care of.

He now understands Tamil, Hindi and English(as we speak all three languages at home). Just saying "Beach polama?" would light a spark in him and he would start jumping around and see you with expectations in his eyes requesting you to take him to the beach.

..............and I can keep going on and on. But considering the interests of the readers, I stop myself here.