1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does Your Husband Take Your Side Or Your Mil (his Mother)?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Sweety2019, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

His mother. If need be, he will use me for blood farming and then make bloody mary for his mother and sisters and nieces.

2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I can see your blood is boiling :BangHead:

Vaikuntha likes this.
  3. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Inlaws are not family. Husband is the family for a wife. Why should she deal alone when they make issue?.

It's a man's responsibility to know how to deal with his parents in his house n make sure the wife has a safe environment and make her feel it's her home.

But 99% Indian men fail at this as their umbilical cords are never cut from their mothers even after marriage.
    Son's parents think it's their birth right to interfere in their son's married life till they are alive.

I stay with inlaws, fought worst of battles.
    Initial days even I kept quiet but they used to complain about me wrongly toy.husband who would then come to me at night and question me.

Hence I started telling each n everything to him about his parents behaviour. He supported me sometimes and sometimes he didn't (thanks to his crocodile tears crying parents and threatening to leave forever n die) so that he became against me.

Living with them is still a pain. Now we dont talk to each other even being in same home. I just do my work and go to my room.
    They are nonexistent in my life now. Even if I see them n live with them under same.roof.

Vaikuntha and Sweety2019 like this.
  4. Ramyarc

Ramyarc Silver IL'ite

This is an interesting topic and I thought I could talk about my experience

5. Ramyarc

Ramyarc Silver IL'ite

Sorry hit reply too soon...:grimacing:
    So my husband actually never takes my or my mil side and he is able to make a right judgement call on who said the right thing or the wrong thing... to my astonishment and most of the times I find myself agreeing with him!!

But here comes the kicker... he is very close to his younger brother almost treats him like a son... yup. And this younger brother, I don’t know ... somehow manages to irritate me. Either by comparing his wife to me or by advising me on something that’s none of his business and so on. Every time I discuss this with my hubby... he somehow is too soft on his younger brother and tries to justify younger brother’s behaviour. Now I find that really surprising. But what I guess is happening here is if you love someone too much you become blind to their shortcomings or try to justify it somehow.

The whole irritation with bil is work in progress... but both bil and i have understood that we have to work it out for my dh’s sake :expressionless:

Vaikuntha and Sunshine04 like this.
  6. preeti6years

preeti6years Silver IL'ite

I can write a thesis on this BIL interference. Ofcourse this has happened in the past. Now that he has his own family and takes outmost care that no one enters into his private affairs like he did in our life.
    Even now it happens quite rare and on silliest of the things which I can easily ignore as my H has already tasted this bitter medicine.
    I have never seen such an insecured male personality in my life.
    Now my dh has stopped taking his side though. But that mommy part is still the same

Ramyarc likes this.
  7. Ramyarc

Ramyarc Silver IL'ite

Ahh glad to see i am not alone :flushed:. This whole sibling rivalry is so ridiculous. Aren’t siblings supposed to be for each other instead of pulling each other down or their siblings in law down. This is so stupid and such a waste of time. Only to realize 30 years later that we wasted so much time in comparison while we could have bonded and could have been there for each other. I see this in my mom’s case where it was full on competition with her sister in laws (orpadis and naathanaars) but now after kids are settled they are much closer and have bonded much better.

8. shalini79

shalini79 Senior IL'ite

At my home also its like this. Most of the time, DH supports me. for eg: Since I work, we tend to cook and freeze and reuse vegetables for 2-3 times a week. My MIL doesnt like it. She thinks we should cook fresh every day. But by DH is completely cool with eating frozen stale food. He would stand by me when my MIL would try to lecture me on this. At times, I have to pull him back and tell him to shut up and not bother his mom so much. She anyway visits us just for 2-3 months in a year and most of the time I am ok to adjust with her ways.

Vaikuntha and Sweety2019 like this.
  9. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

It is very true!
    For any husband, it is a very delicate position to be in. Some men don't support in front; but, have a talk with their mother/wife without the other's knowledge. Some men may once in a while support his mother to ensure there is peace in the house and wife as a partner would understand.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  10. Sweety2019

Sweety2019 Silver IL'ite

So true..I understand he wants to support her..that does not mean we are making up stuff to just accuse her..

sometimes even he needs to understand we can seek support from our husband only..

The husband and wife is also a family..he can't always tell no I support only my family and you let the wife hanging..

A girl never gets married to break any families or separate the mother and son.. why do the mature women do this..have they not gone through the same ugly things..why tag the DIL as the bad one always..

The husband's dialogue I love her too much you need to adjust to everything..don't you fight with your mother..treat her like that and move on..
    Seriously!! My mother doesn't treat me like how the mil does..and mil always treated me like an outsider even when I put in the effort to be one among them even after everything..then how can I come even close to treating her as my mother!

Don't even get me started with the other side of the argument..oh you don't treat my mother don't expect me to treat your parents..
    don't husbands get it!!
    They are treated as royalty in the girls place..oh everything is as per their liking..the daughter's parents even forget they have a daughter..the son in law is treated like a son from heaven.. and husbands have the choice of when they want to meet..for how long they want to meet...even if it's for half hour they are welcomed with all grandeur.. how can husbands compare this!!
    We don't need all that..we are just asking for some support when needed because we might not be strong enough to face all battles alone..