1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does wife have right to add her name in DH Property

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by soni1987, Jul 8, 2015.

1. soni1987

soni1987 Bronze IL'ite

Dear All,

Yesterday me and DH had huge fight, After his private visit to Thailand, i forgive him.
    With some mutual conditions that he will never do such things and we have a flat in india, which is in my DH name... I told him to add my name in this flat as well, all the expenses for registration i will do... At that time to get forgiveness he said all yes...

Yesterday, when i asked about it to him again, his answer tht property was bought before our marriage and u have nothing to do with it so wil not add ur name.

Even though the flat has been bougth before our marriage, when we married it was more than 60% on loan, untill now we are paying the loan... Even though i am not paying the EMI's i am contributing in other expenses which helps him to pay his EMI easily...

My question to you all are...
    1. Am I wrong in asking him to add my name in his property...
    2. Is wife not having the right to ask this to him...
    3. We dont even have a sharing account in india..
    4. I opened an account after 5 yrs of our marriage .. that is just 2 months back...

We have another property which in both of us name... but the emi is paid by me completely.. because he have to pay for his old house which is in his name alone.. Is this right?

Please guide me to talk practical and right decision..

2. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

As per Indian perspective or law wife has right on husband's property.
    However there is no such provision or social enforcement of rule that the man has to register it including her name. He can register it in his name.
    The word 'right' comes into picture only when wife fights in court (I feel this is what practically happens).

1 person likes this.
  3. soni1987

soni1987 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Working woman .. for a quick response.. But I feel insecure with my DH now.. as he is earning a good income and good benefits.. His old house is occupied by MIL from past 8 yrs and now she mean it as her house and i am just a guest there.. where as i am the one who is struggling with my DH for paying the EMI... I am not letting her mom go out or anything just wanted to add my name as surety...

As my MIL has pointed this matter clearly that it is not my house it is her's and my SIL house and i am just as guest.. which my DH is aware of... If tomorrow something happens to my DH, we will be left with nothing.. even the nominee for the house is in MIL name... which my DH is willing to change after our fight..

I feel that I am no longer obliged to this relationship... after all betrayal emotional and trust wise

4. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

soni1987,
    I understand you are in unfair situation. This is the misery of Indian society. If you tend to be loud about your rights you are considered mean unlike other members in family.
    If you are concerned about that risky situation then discuss with your husband. Ask him to make you nominee in all investments and take some good coverage life insurance policies. This is what you can do. Generally these steps are taken by a man specially after fatherhood.
    As such if the house is in MIL's name still you can claim your husband's share/inheritance in it in case of the risk situation. This is law.

1 person likes this.
  5. IndoCadWife

IndoCadWife New IL'ite

Best would be consult a lawyer. In Canada If there has been no prenup and he divorces you or leaves the house with his bag, you will get half the property..again I'm not too sure what the laws are there in India, so best will be to consult a lawyer...secondly in any argument never ever leave a house or do something stupid that gives a chance to ur husbands family to use against you.