Does The Body Hold On To Fat During Bfing?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Needtobestrong, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

My relative celebrated her kids first birthday recently...
    She told me that feeding her baby helped her to lose some weight gained during pregnancy, along with exercise..
    But inspite of her best efforts, some 6 kgs were still remaining to lose to reach pre pregnancy weight which she was unable to lose during BFing..she lost that weight only after a year after total weaning her first child from BFing..
    Especially breast tissue itself will be around 1 kg, and the size she said reduced gradually as she reached the one year mark and she was able to use smaller cup size..
    Just want to know how true this is?
    Biologically is the woman's body deigned to hold on to some fat during lactation phase as a fat reserve..does that weight come off gradually after weaning?
    Am just asking out of curiosity, nothing else..

2. Needtobestrong

SO many views and no replies?

3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ya, after weaning the baby, breast associated weight will go down. You might feel gradual weight decline along with gradual weaning.
    If you have gained more during pregnancy, you might feel little difficult to loose weight. With my first pregnancy I found it difficult to loose weight. But with second pregnancy, I gained less and my weight loss was fast and better. I just need to loose 1+ kg after 3 months of pregnancy. But I need to loose more to come to my ideal weight. First pregnancy gave little more to loose.
    Women tend to hold more fat during pregnancy and lactating phase. They loose the fat along with lactating stage.

sindmani and Needtobestrong like this.
  4. Needtobestrong

5. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

In my experience, while I breastfed my first one, I lost weight quickly without exercising, but after a year once my baby started eating more solid and fed less,I quickly regained good 6-7 kgs which I had to loose by exercising. So it depends on the body.

Exclusivly feeding 5 months old, my second baby and yet to loose some 3 kgs more. This time around I am gonna be more careful after weaning him.

6. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Pregnancy has created room to put on weight in the body. So, when we go back to routine, we need to watch the weight gain.