1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Does Ragi Kanji Cause Weight Gain?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Needtobestrong, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

i like to drink Ragi Kanji atleast once a day, as I like it..I usually use Ragi kanji mix which may or may not have a few other ingredients like millets, green gram dal, elaichi etc, but no added sugar strictly..
    I cook kanji with two spoons of kanji mix, a little water , a little milk on medium flame for couple of minutes..I never add any sugar or jaggery for taste.a dietician whom I consulted long ago told me that Ragi is also carbohydrate rich like rice and wheat and if I take Ragi kanji, it would increase carb content and may cause weight gain..
    She told me I can drink it as a substitute for breakfast..but I find that Ragi kanji being semi solid doesn't keep me full for more than 1-1.5 hour so it's not a substitute for breakfast, rather it's an addition to my morning milk (instead of tea coffee)..
    pls help, I like drinking such Kanjis made with Ragi and other multi grain millet Kanjis etc , as they are nutritious and give energy ,but at same time I want to lose weight I don't want my weight to increase..
    I m unable to go and consult dietician in person..
    Request u all to guide me on this matter..

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It’s calories in VS calories out @Needtobestrong. You have to take a look at your total daily calorie intake and then decide if the Ragi porridge is excess.
    Ragi and other millets are carbs so if you are reducing your net carb intake then you need to calculate that too and see if you can accommodate it into your net carb goals.
    If you haven’t already, try to download myfitnesspal or a related app and calculate your daily calorie intake and expenditure and go from there.

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ragi kanji is a good healthy breakfast. Don't get trapped in the low carb - high carb dogma. Just in the last month I have read two studies that claim low carb diets lead to reduced life spans. Now there's a new dilemma for the keto club. Nutrition science is very wishy washy and far from any sort of robust scientific consensus. My advice is the same as Michael Pollan's - "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." I like counting calories but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea. Here's the mantra: Eat your traditional diet, eat it in a small plate and eat slowly without distractions. And don't eat anything that your grandma wouldn't recognize as food.

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

OP,

Though Ragi is a Carb source, it is nutritionally dense i.e., rich in fibers, vitamins and minerals. The high fiber content makes it an ideal low glycemic index food. I have also heard from my dietitians that Ragi (a poor man's food) helps to reduce flab as it takes long to digest and so keeps you feeling full for a relatively longer period; your choice of beverage is, in fact, very healthy. As you are not adding sweeteners, I think you can be guilt free. As @Laks09 and @Gauri03 have already suggested, watch the portions and enjoy your life. :thumbup:

Needtobestrong and Laks09 like this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Ragi is definitely carb, but it’s very healthy and cools the body too.
    I have seen many diabetics eating ragi regularly which indicates that it is definitely good . But watch your calorie intake.

Needtobestrong and candidheart like this.
  6. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

I would love to incorporate that but the only problem I face is constipation after having ragi kanji..So watch out for that..if thats not an issue, then you are good to go..very healthy drink

Needtobestrong likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Multigrain mix, if store bought has more rice in it..i mill it.

But i have seen my dh,fil say it keeps them full( they have with milk and sugar) while dd says she feels hungry soon( buttermilk and salt). So depends..

Have some fruits, along with a multigrain.
    Calories in and calories burnt is the key..

Ragi, wheat, little millets all are carbs..only the gi makes the difference..

Needtobestrong and Laks09 like this.