1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Does it make a difference buying Computers from US for parents back in India ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Oct 5, 2010.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I am eying on thanksgiving deals to settle on a desktop/laptop for my parents in India. I am looking for opinions on two matters.
    1. Is a desktop better or laptop ? Have you bought anything for your parents ?
    2. Any model is desktops or laptops that you think has functioned well ?

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

MeenLoch:
    When I was shopping around for my new laptop, amazingly I opted for a Medion which is sold in Aldi grocery stores. I have been very happy with it and their customer service is excellent which can't be said of many other companies. (I have had Gateway and HP in the past.) It is a German brand and I feel that their approach to setting up the computer is far more straightforward and user friendly. Example: they have a partition on the hard drive for restoring corrupted drivers. In addition, the periferrals sold by them are dual voltage and monitors etc sold here normally are just 110v. Periodically they sell either laptops or cpu's as a weekly sale and they go (at least around here) very fast so best to get on their mailing list if you have that store out there.

3. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

Meenloch,

Since you plan to buy it for your parents, my vote is for a laptop, for the simple reason that it is easier to carry to India. We got a Sony VAIO laptop for my brother and it runs fine. You can go for Lenovo or Dell. Try to select a brand which has service centers close to your parents' location. Nothing will go wrong with the laptops but in case it does, they will have a service center to take it to.

Happy hunting :)

4. reverie

reverie New IL'ite

Hi MeenLoch,

My vote is for a Sony or Dell laptop...both are available in Bestbuy from 450 onwards for decent configuration...Choose a couple of them...with decent wireless,built-in webcam & built-in speakers/mike...Afterall you want to hear from your parents & see them too..Just watch for decent pricedips everyweek...Don't wait till Thanksgiving...If you like the price anyweek..Just buy it...

I have both...They have been the best ones I have had in years for value,performance,Multimedia & just surfing & chatting....

5. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,My vote is forLaptop especially Dell, for the simple reason it has got customer service in India. Myhubby's laptop which hegot when he was bachelor got repair, they came to chennai did free service.Recently mybrother's and my cousin who are in bagalore got circuit problem, they changed the code to india address, call the customer, they did it for free For brother it was after the warranty period so they charged some amount.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010