1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Does India allow Dual Citizenship?

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Riyasmommy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hi all, does India allows Dual Citizenship? I came to US by F1 Fiancee visa and got married here. I still have my Indian passport, and I am wondering if I can become a US Citizen without having to let go of my Indian passport. Is it possible? Letting go of my Indian passport is more of an emotional issue to me than anything else.

2. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

Hi Riyasmommy,

I think the Indian constitution does not allow one to hold two citizenships simultaneously. Check this link out : India Dual citizenship

Regards,

Sowmya

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

RAj,

As sowmya says indian constitution does not recognise, dual citizenship. the moment

A person ceases to be a citizen of India consequent upon voluntarily acquiring the citizenship of another country according to the section 9 of the citizenship act 1950.

You can go the other way., take a us citizenship and then go the OCI way if need be....

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Shanvy, I just found out about the option of OCI. But this is what the US State Department says about Dual citizenship of American citizens - US State Department Services Dual Nationality

"The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance."

How much of this could be an issue?

Raj

6. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Riya's momy..
    You have this option.
    1) Get US Citizenship with your spouce.
    2) Get OCI card Immediately (and surrender your Indian passport at that time itself)
    later if you want to get your Indian Citizenship, you got a chance
    If you are on OCI for at least 5 years(where ever you are living may be, in US or in India), out of these 5 years, if you lived at least one year in India(not required to be continuously one year, but a total of one year in India), you can apply for Indian citizenship back(and you will lose your US Citizenship at this point)
    So, if its emotional to lose your Indian citizenship, dont worry , its not just he end of the road, just a bump :)

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thank you, SreeSri. I am still pondering about it, but I may go ahead and get the citizenship and apply for OCI.

Thanks all!

Raj