1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does Happiness Need a Reason

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Does Happiness Need A Reason

( I cannot copyright this blog,as happiness is not my private property )

Recently I gave a party to all my [COLOR=blue! important]friends[/COLOR] and their families at a Club Poolside Venue.12 Couples with families,all close friends were invited by me and wife for Drinks and Dinner.We took our Black Label,Vodka,and other drinks, the Dinner was served by the Club.

When i called them a few days before this,to invite them, they all wanted to know the reason.I told them there is no reason worthwhile to mention,just that they come over,and lets have a good time.But each was persistent.And i had to tell all of them that

A) My [COLOR=blue! important]married[/COLOR] daughter is not pregant

B ) I have not won a lottery

c) I have not got an IT Refund.

Maybe they wanted to bring in a gift or something,appropriate to the occassion.And at the party, they were again persistent with their queries about the reason.And the reasons I gave them did not satisfy them to the least.Here is what i told them.

We have been to Indonesia,to visit our daughter,and she is very happy,That we all are keeping good health,for which we are very grateful to the almighty,barring a toothache and the likes,last year i had bought a new Maruti Baleno,and i have no orders(they thought otherwise that i have received some good export orders ! ),and I am at peace these days,and by God's Grace i dont have to work anymore to feed the kitchen fires.In short I am very comfortable,and The big Boss,The lord has been kind to me and my family,and everyone assoicated with us.

I do not understand the concept of reasons for being happy and contented.Do we have to come across lotteries,or good jobs,or anything related to money to feel happy? Why does there have to be reasons to Celebrate
    ?Cant we count our blessings and be happy? Of what use is that money, that suppose Someone gets a Crore,and loses a leg soon after,or a loved one.I have enough money to keep me Warm,but not enough to Burn me. And Since i cant take it upstairs, why not spend some here, on my friends and their families

My friends do not understand my reasons for being happy and contented,like a cat after a good milk and fish ?Is money the deciding factor ? If so , all the richest people in the world would be the happiest and vice versa.If in the mid fifties,I dont have BP,Cholestrol,Sugar,Heart,andi can eat what i want,I can spend what i need to without having to work for it at this age,if my daughter is happy with her hubby and all is honky dory,then i personally feel (let others disagree) that i am blessed.And this gives me a reason to celebrate with my friends here in Jaipur.And reasons be damned for all I care.

We males sat together,and the ladies and the kids together.Each group enjoyed themselves.We were drinking silly,and the jokes i heard,well very very raunchy and we were roaring with laughter.Im sure with all that, our clholestrols and BP levels must have come down a great deal.

All in all a super evening,and we enjoyed it,but i am still wondering, if there is ever a reason to give a party or to have a reason to celebrate ?
    And very soon I will be meeting Cheeniya Sir and Chitvish, and isn’t that an occasion to celebrate.

Lets have your views on this very simple but dicey topic at the same time.and lets see what u come up with.
    What makes our I Lites happy, after achieving what will they give a party ? Let us know, when will u celebrate, and with whom.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear kamaji,

glad to know that u had a party without any reason..of course happiness does not need any reason..this great philosophy i actually learnt from a maid of mine in india..every evening her husband would beat her up and every next day she would happily come home for work with a big smile on her face...play with my dd for sometime first and then carry on with her work...i used to wonder how one can be like that...so if SHE can be happy we all have got a lot to be thankful for and yes why not celebrate...anyway MY next party would be this weekend for a friend who is going away to india for good.......3 TO 4 families will get together....
    BTW u have an open invitation to visit us in malaysia...maybe a detour on your next trip to indonesia?
    regards
    MINDI

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,

Thank u for the kind invitation.Lets see when the opportunity arises next.And the next time u and yr family is in Jaipur , be my guests please.the jaipur I will show u, no one else will show u.

Im sure the friend of yrs will remember the party for a long long time.Really it takes so little to be happy in life.Thanks for yr kinds words, and invitation.Regards.kamal

4. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Today seems to be a happiness discussion day! Just replied to Chithra ma;am blog too.
    Lovely topic.

You know the irony of people is that they dont generally understand when its a moment to celebrate. There is so much happiness around but their eyes are blinded by unrealistic hopes and dreams that the moment of celebration passes by unnoticed.

For me i think each moment is happiness ,each moment is celebration. When i win something i celebrate my victory, when i lose i celebrate my loss. After all il live just once why wallow.Life is a blessing , celebrate each moment of it, it will never come back no matter how much youre ready to pay!
    We dont realy need an excuse to celebrate, When we find happiness within us, the glow in us is itself a reason to celebrate.
    I guess when we realise the sufferings around us we find happiness in whatever little we have.
    Like theres that famed song,"Duniya mein kitna ghum hain, mera ghum kitna kam hain"
    That makes me very happy and i realise that i need to find happiness in whatever ive been blesed with.
    At the risk of repeating what ive written in Chithra ma'am blog, i'd quote:The time to be happy is now and the place to be happy is here and the wayto be happy is to make others happy and we'll have a little heaven right here!!

Nowadays with the toasts overflowing courtesy you and Cheeniya Sir i guess its time to raise a few more toasts for the sake of happiness.So here a big Cheers to celebration of happiness!!

Enjoyed your post Kamalji!

Regards,
    Devika

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

I thought we are already celebrating and partying on your behalf for no Reason! We all toasted in Cheeniya's thread virtually! And you went ahead and had a real party for no reason is it! Except for being happy! ( no wonder your friends could not understand....this happens frequently in our IL circle!...he he!)And just now i read Chitvish's blog on being Happy even if others think we are selfish! So looks like partying and Happiness have started in our IL family!:party

Of course people are always wanting to know why we are partying.....they need a reason.....
    Being in this country, in the beginning to just meet another fellow indian itself made me so happy....and come weekends i ended up inviting and cooking for 20 people! But just being together with indians was reason enough for me to Party! After joining IL in 2005, we all would virtually have parties, eat cakes and kheer and generally feel happy!
    Of course now that you reminded me, i think i have not been partying for quite sometime....( read that as not feeling happy!) Have to change that soonBig Laugh

Now don't make us jealous that you are going to meet the C and C and party! But it will be real fun when you meet the virtual friends with whom you have shared so much......That happened to me when i met Chithra and Sundari for the first time!
    Go ahead JUST BE HAPPY and Party ! ( i have noted down from another thread about the discount factor from Jaipur Gems .....will take you up on it, even if Chitvish does not......:wink:)

6. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Ha ha Devika, you beat me to it......we have shared similar thoughts.....so looks like happy days ahead....
    Here when we part with anyone, even a stranger, we wish HAVE A GREAT DAY or Evening , or may the rest of the day be HAPPY! I really like that phrase and culture....
    So a toast to your Toast of Happiness!:cheers
    Have a great day!:wink:

7. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Cheers Sudha and some thai thai thi thi :wink:thai tooooo!!:cheers:cheers

8. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

No not all, happiness does not need a reason............and that too for a person like you. Again a good topic from you............happiness....................such a wonderful thing on earth, which most of us dont realize. We sit and ponder over petty silly things which is of no use.................

Until we are innocent and ignorant of everything we are happy, once man starts to explore, he looses that happiness.......................
    so let me be like Kamalji, who parties for no reason, who makes ridiculous into hilarious....................
    Enjoyed, and let me also plan for a party...............

:hiya
    Love
    Padma

9. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

What a coincidence Kamalji, here i am sitting and making calls for a get-together of all the girls from my home town and i hit upon your post.

No way, happiness dosen't need a reason...the very thought first thing in the morning when i wake up that aah i am alive and this day is a bonus, itself is a reson to celebrate.

Initially some people in our group didn't turn up for our parties as we don't serve drinks and non-veg:hide:.

At IL too its sort of a party time with so amny toast making the rounds.

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Devika,

A Toast to u too Devika.May u live to be a 100 plus, healthy , wealthy and wise, but without Kamalji, Cheeniya, and Indus.HAHA.

So u too follow my brand of happiness eh ! For me to write a blog too, it comes in a twinkle, just need the first line or word.This is an oldpost of mine, posted almost 9 months back in Indus, and reposted with a few additions.This was a flop then, maybe I was new then god knows.HAHA.

The lines of that song are superb.Never heard it.Can u tell me which film it is from.They make so much meaning.

Yes Devika, Heaven is here itself, I too believe so.I read Chitvish’s blog and commented, that we don’t need too much to be happy.

I u happen to buy the magazine “ the Week” read the last page article by Mahesh Dattani, the heading is “ Best Things are fro free”. This came in just an hour ago, just read this article and u will be floored.

Thanks for yr kind comments, Regards.kamal