Does God Help Us Or Does He Keep Scores Based On Karma

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by ChennaiExpress, Jul 4, 2017.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I had a conversation few weeks ago with someone.

He said that we created God and it is God who keeps scores of all our Karmas.

Whether we did Good, Whether we did Bad in past lives, scores are kept.

And if we do Good action it balances out the Bad Karma.

If something Bad happens to us it balances out the Bad Karma.

If we screw someone over it balances out our Good Karma.

We can be good people in one life, rotten people in another (and vice versa)

Hindu Vedas say we are governed by Karma

And Sikh Shri Guru Granth Sahib says past actions cannot be erased.

But here is my question ...... when something good happens, why does this same person say, "It is God who rescued you." And he says it without thinking, from his heart.

So based on Karma will God intervene on someone's behalf.

I guess you must do good works from the heart. It's simply not enough to pray, follow rituals, visit temple.

God is in our Hearts. We were made in the image of our Creator

And from Scientific standpoint, we are all stardust.

If you believe in Big Bang theory we all came from that one atom that just exploded.

Just a random stream of thoughts ......

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    luckysangeetha likes this.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I do believe in Karma and I do believe in Big Bang theory. I believe in negative and positive energy.

I also believe that being a believer or an atheist has nothing to do with how pure your heart is. I don't care about the cast, creed or color as long as they don't have poisonous mind or words.

A good heart to me simply refers to a person who doesn't hurt anyone, having positive thoughts, happy and helping could just be a bonus.

When you see someone doing well, there is difference between thinking,
    "I will do better than this very soon"
    And
    "how dare they do so well, they must have robbed someone for sure. I am going to watch them go down the drain very soon, ha"

I do believe that lil lil moments like these can define in shaping your life as well. And that bad thoughts and doing will come back to bite you, also the good thoughts and doing will elevate your life.

To answer your question, it's the way we were raised. Good or bad, even if we believe or not, we bring in the god for everything. "thank god" "oh my god" "god bless you" and more like this comes so naturally without even thinking because we heard it all our life.

sindmani and ChennaiExpress like this.
  3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

This is a million dollars question for me. I hadn't find answers yet.

4. ChennaiExpress

Oh my!

That's why it is said you should guard your thoughts.

Lot of people come out of negative situations and cannot help but have bad thoughts.

But it doesn't mean they are bad people, they are just hurt and bitter by the experiences.

On the other hand I do agree that when you see someone successful you should either wish them well or say to yourself you will do better.

5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Oh my, this is a heavy topic! I have pondered about this for years, discussed it with several ppl and haven't come to any conclusions yet. Let me add some more questions to that list:

While as per Karma theory, we know we have to pay for our bad actions (karma) and reap the benefits of good karma, what about the timing of these fruits (good or bad)? Do we know when you are punished for the bad actions and rewarded for the good ones? Is it this life, next life or subsequent lives?

Also, because we do not know the actual timing of when we will receive the fruits of our actions, I have heard a lot of ppl say, how do I care if I do bad actions now (bribe, cheat and become rich now), as it is I don't know when I will suffer, so might as well just enjoy my life now. If I am punished in my next life, it's not like I am going to remember that I was this person last time. Meaning who cares when we cannot correlate anything ??

6. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

We are definitely governed by our own karma . No doubt about this.

Bad karma brings trouble & misery & disease & good karma health & happiness.Based on our karma our births
    number & nature are destined.Even if we do good karma, if that is done with the ego "i had done it" it will lead to one more birth to reap the benefits.So good actions should be done with the thought that i am not the doer but only god.

You might have heard the story that one Rishi was there.One wounded deer came to him for rescue.He started taking care of it out of pity. He got attached to it slowly & had to develop the infrastructure so that he can take maximum care. That Rishi or saint life changed to kind of normal human life with likes & dislikes. So he was forced to take one more birth as a deer & another birth for some act he did.The saint as such had no rebirth. but because of his attitude even though it was good had to take two more births.

I also have two interesting questions to post
    1 Who will be affected by the fruits of the action or Karma of special children (mentally retarded, autism etc.) as the mostly don't know whether the action is good or bad & it will result in karma.
    2.If we are facing a major calamity how to find out the karma behind it either done in this or previous births.
    It is a vast subject . no limit for discussions.
    "The woods are lovely dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before i sleep"

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  8. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Events in my personal life have led me to believe that there is no karma.
    Good people suffer .
    Bad ones lead happy lives.

9. ChennaiExpress

Are you serious???

If I knew I'd be punished for a bad action sometime in future (or my loved one would be punished for it) it would scare the crap out of me and I'd never do it.

Are these people crazy?

oh my!

Sandycandy and kalcandu like this.
  10. ChennaiExpress

That's interesting. Even good Karma propels you to reincarnation.

I believe Buddha, or maybe in Bhagavad Gita its says there is no good Karma or bad Karma but thinking makes it so.

So if a married couple are deeply in love with one another, should they think it is God that bought them together else they will be reborn as deeply loving husband and wife for many lifetimes? Now that tickles my brain!

Oh my goodness ... if this Saint gets two more rebirths imagine rest of us!

Imagine if our attitude is bad (seeing posts in these forums). Imagine how many rebirths and how many types of rebirths we already set ourselves to have?

I think parents and loved ones of these special children are affected. certainly the children are affected, but don't have that awareness.

Really I wish I knew how to find out what sin we did in past life to atone for it. That's why I am shocked to hear people will cheat now and don't care about paying price later.