1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Do you use microwave for cooking?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sweetshreya, Nov 29, 2012.

1. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

I've had microwave for last 2 yrs but I never used it for more than heating or baking potatoes. But my parents got it 1 month back along with a cooking book. And LO !!!! They have started full fledged cooking in it. Mom makes some sabzi, dal, palak paneer, etc in it. :bowdown

I'm feeling a little ashamed about myself. :oops: Mom is from earlier generation and yet have turned more tech savvy in kitchen than I ever was So I wondered do any of you use it for actual Indian cooking? And how often? :)

1 person likes this.

2. itsjustme

itsjustme Silver IL'ite

I use it a lot , for making tamarind water, to bake potatoes, oh yeah! defrost vegetables as I am lazy to chop :p :p.

1 person likes this.
  3. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

No I just use it for reheating food, to heat milk, coffee etc... that's it.I cook everything on stovetop and I like it that way.

Moreover I am really not interested to use it for cooking food , just cautious about the health though not scientifically proved dangerous yet :)

So I don't think there is anything to feel ashamed about not being techsavvy or something like that.

1 person likes this.
  4. mommynow

mommynow Silver IL'ite

I make fried rice using microwave oven. It consumes very less oil.

1 person likes this.
  5. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

I will use MW for heating milk for coffee, steaming veggies for stir fries, oil less Papadams, water, deforsting veggies, extracting tamarind and tamato pulp..

Usually for elaborated curry preparations i will use stove top...got used like that

1 person likes this.
  6. VanithaSekar24

VanithaSekar24 New IL'ite

i use my mv to prepare hot water and coffee...recently my friend told me abt the papad...it is cool....within 20seconds u can have ur hot hot papad....

7. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I have only used it for heating, stove cooked food always tastes better.

8. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

Just like sravanitenali and hemalathaK , I use it only for heating/ potato/pappad - nothing more. I feel stove top cooking is faster than microwave -which i have to keep on taking it out ,stir, putting it back in.

9. HiFive

HiFive New IL'ite

Hi Shreya,
    I do use microwave for cooking rice, most of the days. And to prepare coffee, heating food, boiling veggies, defrosting. I have the conventional oven, which is microwave + oven. So I use it for baking as well.
    Cooking pulav, biryani I opt to make it in the microwave. It gives a bit of dry texture to the dish. Curries n other part of cooking stovetop is convenient for me. Should try to make recipes as well in the oven.
    All the best to you.

10. arthimahalakshm

arthimahalakshm Gold IL'ite

hi!
    i cook all southindian food items in microwave.upma,pongal,carrot halwa suji halwa,poha...........my listgoes on.i find it very quick and easy.even my dd enjoy cooking when i allow her to use.