Do you think seasonal - Poll for 31st July to 6th Aug, 2005

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by Induslady, Aug 1, 2005.

Do you think seasonal discounts offer lower prices?

1. Yes. Final prices are lower than regular prices during a sale!

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No. Discounts are offered on increased regular prices!

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Don't Know. Haven't really compared the prices that much.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Others

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies,

Good to meet you all with this poll related to the most interesting topic to Ladies - yeah, Shopping!

We all know about the discount sales offered during different seasons on various items that we want to shop. Most of us ladies being the decision makers in purchasing almost everything for our home from clothes, jewellery, utensils, provision, etc. are the target customers (should I say scape goats [​IMG] ) of such discount sales.

Share your views about such discounts being offered.
    Are they good to save some money?
    Or, are they just an eyewash, marketing tactics to sell more?

Cast your votes and share your views...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005

2. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

There is a sale almost everyday!

Atleast in the US, the sale prices are most of the times lower than the regular prices. Though there is a sale everyday(they just need a name for the sale), some of the discount sales are genuine.

I have voted yes, but to really get items for good prices, we need to a lot of comparison shopping.

These days I notice that there are lots of sale going on in India too - especially the clothing stores offer lots of discounts - aadi sale, summer sale, diwali sale, etc.

3. malar

malar Bronze IL'ite

Increased prices are only discounted!

It's been the belief for ages...that to give a discount the prices are already increased and discounted. I have never seen any big saving because of discounted prices so far! It's just to make people buy!

4. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

I agree with Malar. Discounted prices are increased regular prices. People psychologically feel happy when they purchase something in discounted sales,whether the price is genuinely discounted or not. This is the marketing technique to pull the crowd, I think.

5. Roshni

Roshni Local Champion Staff Member Senior IL'ite

Discounted prices are eye wash!

Hi Rathi,

I differ from your opinion about discounted sales and prices in the US.

As you mentioned, there is a some sale or other everyday. The list prices they display on items are just for listing. The discounted prices are the normal prices, but they name it as discount to attract people. This is my opinion.

6. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

Slightly lower, but not that much!

Sale prices are slightly lower than normal prices, but not by the extent the advertisements say.

I see a company normally advertise 40% off and suddenly one week they say that it is 1/2 off. It is only an extra 10% off, but the company touts as if it is a full 50% off.

I am getting used to expecting only a small discount even when they advertise big numbers!

akalya

7. bharthi

bharthi Junior IL'ite

Selection!

More than prices, the most frustrating thing is that the big discounts are never on the products that we want :evil: . They say "Up to 60% off" and on the product that we want, it would be 5% off!!

In earlier days, I used to buy clothes motivated mainly by the big discounts. But I later realized that I never wear those clothes because I really didn't like it in the first place.

Now I am more careful. I would rather spend a few more money and buy what I need as opposed to saving money in buying stuff that I don't need!!

B