Do You Speak English?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by IniyaaSri, Jun 20, 2017.

1. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

Umanga!

I understood now!!!
    You grew up speaking English and thats why you are quite comfortable with it!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts again!
    Have a good day! :blush:

2. IniyaaSri

Hey Bhumibabe!

Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts here!
    Have a good day! :blush::blush:

3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

English or no English, what matters is that we can all communicate with each other . I think the biggest advantage that Indians have over most other countries is that we are comfortable speaking English. That is a big advantage for us , specially in a global world.

guesshoo and IniyaaSri like this.
  4. IniyaaSri

Sir!!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences here :grinning::grinning::grinning:

lol :tearsofjoy::grimacing::grin:
    I belive this is one of the most important point to be mentioned. My husband told me the same when I discussed this topic with him yesterday! I was thinking that as a very different perspective and you have mentioned the same! And yes I agree to it!!! I visualised the scene in my mind and understood its true!!!
    This is my concern!!! When we people talk English to domestic folks including family members..... I 'feel' language is the root of culture and we will lose it we if lose the language. I know 6 languages and I use the others only when it is needed and I speak my mother tongue to my family members. So thats why I was pondering why people talk in English even to their family members.

IL members have mentioned that they grew up speaking english and I find that is one important reason for that.

Thanks for sharing your valubale thoughts here Sir!!!
    Have a wonderful day ahead :blush::blush::blush:

5. IniyaaSri

Thanks for sharing your thoughts there SandyCandy!:blush:
    For obvious reasons, I think everyone knows that English is the biggest advantage and as you said we have the biggest advantage.
    Thats not my worry. Am happy about that.
    My concern is why do A&B talk in English when they share the same mother tongue, even in informal ambiance.
    Few IL friends have mentioned that they grew up speaking English even at home.
    So my answers are on the way!
    Thank you so much for taking time and sharing your thoughts here!
    Have a pleasant day ahead:blush:

Sandycandy likes this.
  6. IniyaaSri

Hey guesshoo!!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here!!!
    Quite understandable and I agree to it!!!

Have a great day ahead!:blush:

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Your query is, why do a group of people from the same state or people who can converse in the vernacular still prefer English. Last year, I switched my primary language for regional conversations. Earlier, I used to converse in my native language with friends who also spoke my native language. But, last year, all of us had an awakening on how pathetic our English is — text and speech alike compared to others'. Each one had come to the same conclusion though for varied reasons and experiences. I am part of a small group where English is not spelled but smashed up in a spectacular fashion.

Thus, we [friends] decided to converse and text only in English in an attempt to improve our English. I have studied English but never blazed in English. You study grammatical concepts like attributive and predicative adjectives, light verbs, vocatives, subject and verb agreement, but these are merely studied, but in order to cure your English of entrenched bugbears you need mindful practice of those studied concepts. That's a long story short.

But, why is English so important?

Ha ha! You should interact in my group for a day to self-evaluate. In international forums with global audience, it is. I was impressed with the members in the group whose articulation I am trying to match. Today, I speak with all my friends in English. I might be an outlier aspiring to improve my English by speaking in English, nevertheless, it is a genuine and landmark reason.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    guesshoo, IniyaaSri and deepthyanoop like this.
  8. IniyaaSri

Thanks for sharing your experience here!
    I came to know yet another reason : )
    Thanks and have a good day : )

9. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

And, here I was, trying to learn Cimorenish of middle earth :)

guesshoo and vaidehi71 like this.
  10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Meri pyaari Ragini, where have you vanished? Hardly seen these days.

Did anyone say anything? Give me their names. I will find their addresses and avenge on your behalf.

I missed you. I missed our lead trollhunter. Here is a trailer dedicated to you. In all seriousness, this is one of the best animations I have seen in recent times on Netflix. If you are Guillermo del Toro's fan, watch it.

Welcome back!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    vaidehi71 likes this.