1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer a Big house or a small one or is there a just right one?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Srama, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Ah! finally we have the just right choice! Thank you Samraa for your feedback!
    Agreed Samraa and that is what all of us seem to aim for - big or small, tidy clutter free space! I know those old houses are huge and served thier purposes. Kudos to your granny living with those beautiful memories she has helped make!

Thank you for your feedback here!

2. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

I like house with spacious and airy feel. Else feel suffocated.

But in a place like Bangalore, the max we could get for our budget is a 3BHK. Main cause of clutter is my daughter's toys and all of our books. Just cant get heart to give away the books :(

My dream is to move into a spacious independent house with huge airy windows :)

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you orion80 for your response! I hear you! Somehow growing up in a 3bedroom independent house in India did not feel too small or too big and was just right! With apartments probably the same place feels much smaller. And about clutter oh yeah all those toys and paper work !! hopefully it gets better - I know the toys will go away - they have at least from my family room to the kids' rooms and paper from school is incredibly too much and right now, like you am not able to throw away that paper. Recently when I cleaned up my DS' room, I had saved three card board boxes stuff of all his work :bonk Now I have resolved to throw away more!

huge airy windows - sounds so beautiful! May your dreams come true!!

1 person likes this.
  4. ARIKA

ARIKA Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I go for small house,because,Time saver Is the First factor in it.So that ,we can concentrate in other activities
    too like stitching,drawing,painting,craft works etc. I'm a housewife I'll finish all my work by 11 , I do spend my time
    in Painting.I love Painting,in one way it relaxes me. My house is not very small,but i maintain according to my workplan.
    Instead of spending all the time in maintainance,each & every housewife needs some relaxation ,with a cup of COFFEE.
    SMALLHOUSE not only lessen the pressure,It also give you a COFFEE,with AROMA

1 person likes this.
  5. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

A nice topic to discuss.I have been married for 10 years and when looking back at all the houses we have lived so far ,it is interesting to see that the house's size is getting bigger.

Eventually our need is also growing.When we were newly married,my DH invited his boss for lunch at our place.We didn't have a dining table and I served her in a stool.She said "Big things start in a humble beginning." .In that single bedroom house we four people including my in laws lived without any problem.

According to me,

Living room -- definitely big with TV in a corner .

Master bedroom -- with space surrounding the bed.

Kids room --with lot of shelves.

Guest room --Some free space to keep their things and empty shelves along with the bed.

Kitchen --user friendly.

Dining spacious to serve 6 members.

Not to mention two bathrooms.

Every room should be clutter free ,with good air circulation and less decorative things.

Big or small,I would never prefer houses filled with furniture.

Now,we live in a 3 bedroom house and I feel contented.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That'a thought and a good way of looking at it! I agree we end up spending cleaning up so much and when it come to our own pursuits, it always takes a backeseat! Thank you for that wonderful reminder!
    I am impressed Arika! Would love to see your paintings and I am so happy to note that it is important enough for you that you plan your work around it. Way to go :thumbsup

Sounds delightful and I am sure delicious as well.

Thank you for responding with your thoughts Arika!

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

You are so right Kishoremommy! We do tend to overlook that fact quite easily!

You do certainly have a good sense of what you want and how you want to keep! That is always wonderful! I am so happy to hear that you got your dream home and you are content :thumbsup! May you always have that contentment :)

Thank you for sharing your view here!

8. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Srama,no.I didn't get my dream my home.Recently we bought our own independent 3BR house in Coimbatore.But,no garden and not according to our taste.But,considering the increase in land price like a rocket and our budget ,we selected that house.We decided to rent that house.

Now,we are living in a gated community paying rent .My DS is happy to have lot of friends.I like the house and atmosphere here.Our own house's price is equal to this apartment.But,due to investment reason we preferred there.

Anyway,the place we live in only counts.

9. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Srama
    Home should be just manageable size not so big or not too smaaalll.
    When young its easy to clean even a very big house.
    But when you grow older its advisable to have a small house which can be cleaned all by ourselves without servant maids' help.
    So I go for a house with enough space to move around.
    chtra

1 person likes this.
  10. luckyme

luckyme Silver IL'ite

nice thread and interesting posts...

i've been lucky..i have a wonderful and lovely 2 bedroom house (for me and dh) with huge airy windows and good space...i spent considerable money in designing it and it came out so well...dream come true..
    it's an apartment and vast enough for us...will try to post some pics but i am currenty abroad on an assignment and will need to scan my current laptop for pics.

while i use most of the space but 1 of the bedroom is hardly ever used and cleaning can be a pain when the bai doesn't turn up.. i am very finicky abt cleaning so a lot of my time goes in cleaning

but the idea of a HUGE house gives me an amazing exciting feel. i love designing and all i think of is designing when i think of a big house (than thinking practically of the real need). i am happy to think about a big bunglow though i know we probably never be able to afford one. but whats the harm dreaming :)