1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Nominate Finest Posts?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

May be the right nomenclature is "Finest nominated post". Even though I agree with your assessment here, I can't make that decision to rename as I am just a moderator executing the guidelines already determined.

Your understanding of what the moderator goes through is impeccable. You are right. It is very hard to satisfy every member in the Forum.

If I understand correct, the purpose of the Finest Contribution and Finest Narration is to encourage more people to contribute here in IL. Strictly the members are the best judge of what they like depending on their taste. Their responses speak volume of what they like the best in IL. This FP is Administrators' little gesture to encourage more members to write here in IL. It is not a beauty contest like competition where absolutely we need to find the greatest among the best. The perception may vary from person to person. Some have excellent narration skills and some have great ideas and present them in their threads with loads of content. Both the process of nomination and process of selection is limited to what one can read and understand. It is practically not possible for anyone or more to read everyone of the threads in IL to chose the best. Even if it is done, finally it is a judgment of handful and may vary substantially with the perception of a few or even larger members.

Some of the objectives in selection process include encouraging new writers and include more and more writers in the winning category and spread the interest to write and read the content in IL. There is no question some Forums get better attention from the members in the limited time they have to visit IL. Many moderators of various forums are making strong efforts to make each one of the Forums interesting and exciting.

Whether it is one or three selectors, still there could be differences of opinion in selection process. Moderators (I am not speaking about myself here) are doing a great effort to fine tune their forums and bring more and more people into their Forums. They are doing voluntary service to make IL a great place despite severe time constraints. Without the cooperation of the members to participate and nominate the ones they like the most, the moderators can't find such wonderful threads themselves. The moderators are very grateful to the members for their help. I feel a thread getting nominated by another member into FP forum itself is a great honor to a writer whether a nomination wins or not.

If IL continues to remain a nice environment where everyone feels like a family, have respect for each other, value each others opinion even if it differs, willing to contribute their thoughts and like to spend more time here, everyone of us will be a winner.

Viswa

shyamala1234 and Laks09 like this.
  2. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

3. Viswamitra

That is okay @ashima10 but keep visiting IL. Your presence matters. :)

ashima10 likes this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'm always short of time. I would love the button and text box format so I can do it then and there. I also prefer writing a short write up on the post during nomination so the text box is important. Can someone code the button in a way where once clicked it creates a post on the FP thread with the nominated post's URL and description? Isn't that too much to ask? I know it's doable. It's a ton of work though.

5. Viswamitra

@Laks09,

Thank you for your participation in this thread. As I mentioned earlier, in the absence of @Rihana, I am answering any questions the members may have as it relates to FP section which I moderate. I am not a technologist and I don't know the answer to your question.

Viswa

Laks09 likes this.
  6. GuideMe

GuideMe Senior IL'ite

Thank you Viswa Sir, I will keep this in mind

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Viswa.It is very difficult to choose the best.I just wanted to share what I felt and what happens in other forums.True, to elicit better response and participation nomination is the process,though combined with certain loop holes.Thanks IL team for having given platform to thousands to share their views.
    Jayasala 42

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Simple, I am wary of nominating literary posts because as a conscientious nominator one may want to verify if the blog has been plagiarised or is an FB share.

Better not to nominate when you suspect foul play as such inquiry dithers between doxxing and well-minded exposing a fraud. So, I prefer to nominate sustained contributions rather than standalone literary posts because there is a chance that literary blogs are cribbed off from other syndicated sites. In that doxxing and exposing dilemma, I hardly nominate.

You cannot authenticate the original author for literary blogs which are circulated as popular FB shares and then you read here like-to-like. You never know who has originally written and who ought to be credited with authorship when it is circulated from multiple sources leading to dubious authorship. Though chronology sometimes gives it away!

Therefore, I don't nominate many literary articles unless the distinctive writing style of the member is evinced in that blog. If the constructs and stylization does not match with their regular writing, I prefer not to nominate such a cobbled post with shifty origin. There is so much scope for original writing in digital world. I think people should avail themselves of such a platform and foreclose suspicions on reduplicated or reworked submissions.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Viswamitra and satchitananda like this.
  9. Viswamitra

@Iravati,

Thank you for your insight about how you choose your nominations. I see many posts which can generally be characterized as follows:

1) Real life experience of someone in their own words. (Easy to identify)
    2) Travelog of personal experience of visiting a place. (Straight forward)
    3) Post that is built with quotes of writers, poets and other great thinkers with acknowledgement of their names (Okay if it is relevant to the chosen subject instead of building a post only for the quotes)
    4) Addressing a specific subject with intense research on that subject (Okay as long as it is written in own language instead of picking up sentences from the research)
    5) Original thought written in own language (ideal post)

I struggle with #3 & #4 especially if they give an impression given in parenthesis.

Viswa

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    satchitananda likes this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Ninety nine percent of the ideas would have already emerged from great scholars through their books or commentaries?Any piece of writing except personal experiences and family matters would be a sort of 'repeat' ideas though not 'repeat expressions'.
    Even the repeat mails look new to the new reader.This is not a forum for awarding degrees and punishing for plagiarism. We cannot say that certain thoughts could arise in a single man's brain only.There is a possibility that around the globe,many think alike and express more or less in similar terms on different occasions.Many posts with repeated good messages deserve to be nominated as'the Finest posts'.

Recently I happened to read a research work on poet Bharathi in Tamil. Every one knows how great Bharathi was.We learn that young widow( widowed at theage of 7) named Sengottai aavudai akkal lived 350 years back and she has wriiten more tah 400 poems. But she was an unsung heroine.
    Bharathi was greatly influenced by the poems of Avudai akkal and we find verbatim, the same expressions in Bharathi's poems.Definitely we can't demean the excellence of Bharathi.
    Only thing I wish to say that there have been poets with similar ideas even before Bharathi .When such is the case with great writers ,IL members just share their views on this platform.

Jayasala 42

blindpup10 and rgsrinivasan like this.