1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Nominate Finest Posts?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Mar 8, 2017.

1. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

I'd love to nominate many of the fantastic posts and threads I've seen here in IL but the thought of explaining myself in a deep, meaningful way gets to me. It also wouldn't be fair to my nominated person if I only give them a one or two line explanation while others get a long one :shakehead:.

Amica and Viswamitra like this.
  2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Regarding nominations,

I have to reply honestly and this is going to cost my presence here. But I am ready to have this as my last post and speak my mind.

This is a great place and a great forum. Lots of thoughts & efforts have gone into maintaing this as a safe and positive environment . I see that newbies are very much encouraged here. As a newbie I myself had won FP couple of years back.

And as time went by I noticed that there is partiality or should I say favoritism in nominations or winning. Sometimes I see that posts by certain members who are in IL's good books win the nomination and also who nominates it definitely matters irrespective of the content. That's when I stopped participating in nominations.

Sorry to be blunt but that is what I sensed here. There are many threads that involves the community as a whole which goes unnoticed. Not only rich content or content with high standards should be considered for FP but any original writing let it be snippets, or solutions in rel forums or general discussions or creative writing including poetry should be considered. No favoritism should be shown.

Moderators and/or Admins feel free to remove this post. My intention is not to hurt anyone but let a beautiful forum with a safe and positive environment allow its users be creative in expressing their thoughts irrespective of FP or not! All creative writings should be encouraged. .

Thank you one and all!

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@GuideMe,

Let the technologists figure out whether it is possible at all to have nominate button and let the administration figure out if the nominations go beyond a certain level, how the work load can be handled by the moderators. In the meantime, let me explain how it works now for you and those who are not familiar with how it works.

For example, if you like to nominate this thread started by Rihana, you have to go to the first page of this thread and copy the link and paste it in the FP section:

Step 1: Do You Nominate Finest Posts?

Step 2: Give you invaluable comments why you feel that particular writer's thread is considered valuable by you.

That is it.

How to locate the relevant FP section?

If you chose Forums on the top of IL, you will see "Contest, Winners & Prizes listed under the Communities Central and when you click on it, you would see a thread "Finest Posts of IL" in it. Find the relevant month and post your recommendations.

Viswa

GuideMe likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

@momsky,

Don't worry about whether you would do justice in your words through your nomination. Your nomination itself will be viewed by the writer as appreciation of her work. Besides, the FP moderator would also give a response to your nomination. Remember, your nomination helps others to read the nominated post as well as many always visit FP section to decide which threads to read.

Viswa

momsky and Amica like this.
  5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@jskls.... there used to be an emoticon with a hat tipping. I wish I had that now.

Edited to add :
    @Viswamitra . For the longest time the finest posts was a private kitty party among the Snippets of life (non-fiction_ folks) even when there were plenty of posts and feed backs outside that forum. It could have changed since then but impressions are hard to overcome.
    This is also probably the reason why the nominations have dwindled. A thread or a feature needs to be inclusive for gathering momentum and generating a wider audience. My $0.02.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    kkrish and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Viswamitra

@jskls

When we have a public forum like this, both appreciation and criticism should be well received by both administrators and moderators. Why should anyone feel compelled to remove your invaluable comments even if it is to question or criticize the FP process whether it is with reference to how the selection is made or even for which person's threads are awarded frequently? You have every right to express your views as a member of IL.

As you already know, Cheeniya Sir and Kamla were the Super Moderators for the FP section and after Cheeniya Sir got sick and Kamla got busy, I have been requested to fill that role to respond and select the finest post and finest narrations each month. I am sure Cheeniya Sir and Kamla have done a great job in their judgment in the past and I have filled their large shoes recently. I can assure you that I have neither been partial nor I showed favoritism to anyone. At best, it could be error of judgment in rating them in a particular month. As you rightly pointed out there are many wonderful threads here in IL and not all of them get nominated. Among the nominated ones, I have to make a judgment which one, in my view, is the finest contribution and finest narration. The Administrators are kind enough to trust my judgment. If at all there is a mistake in selection, it is lack of proper judgment on my part and definitely the Administrators are not responsible.

As you rightly pointed out newbies are encouraged in IL and that is one of the essential criteria in selection of threads to my understanding. It is also important to encourage more writers and therefore not the same set of people are repeatedly awarded. To my knowledge, there is no partiality to any specific forum nor there is discrimination against Rel Forum or Poetry Forum or any other Forum for that matter. I feel sorry you feel that way.

I don't like to go into the details of individual awards but there are many interesting and unique threads like Neuron, Doodles, Poetry, Stories, Spiritual, Relationship section threads were awarded in the past once someone nominated them.

I can assure you that your words above has not hurt my feelings. You have every right to point out errors in my judgment. I am more than willing to listen to the views of the members and that is how we can make this forum very successful. All creative writings are definitely encouraged in this forum and that is the purpose of FP Forum.

Viswa

rgsrinivasan, ashima10, jskls and 2 others like this.
  7. Viswamitra

@justanothergirl

Thank you for your valuable comment. Please see my comments to @jskls and I hope that answers your questions.

Viswa

justanothergirl likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

@justanothergirl,

Any nomination from any forum is welcome. I am very keen on reading the members' nominations and their comments. I read them all carefully. I may make some mistakes a few times but over a period of time, I will get it right, if I am given the privilege to be the moderator of FP by the Administators. All I am saying is nothing is intentional. No willful misconduct or gross negligence to overlook deserving nominations. Needless to say, not all members are going to be happy no matter how I fine tune the selection process. But I can try to make best judgment to fulfill the wishes of most. In fact, the selection itself is done from the power of nomination recommendations of the members. I really don't know what else to say.

Viswa

Laks09, jskls and justanothergirl like this.
  9. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

dear Viswa sir,

Thank you for explaining patiently! yes, I should start doing it at some point! will do it as soon as I find something that I really touches me!

And I consider myself to be a 'learning person'. I am still at the beginning point in the learning curve! :blush:

I think you know the best regarding the Icon thing...will leave that decision in your capable hands :)

:beer-toast1:

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

The'Finest post' itself is a misnomer since the post is chosen among the ones nominated and not from the ones received.There are occasions where many posts went unnoticed behind the curtain and they were far better than the ones nominated.
    The forum consists of various people with multi tastes and perceptions. 'Loko bhinna ruchi;"
    Marking 'likes' is more or less a ritual and it has absolutely no value.Even without reading one can simply mark'like'.

The moderator's job is really tricky.Sometimes he/she may not individually like any of the nominated posts and they have to choose something or the other.
    There is a proverb in tamil'aalaiyillaa oorukku ilppai poo sarkarai'.
    The moderator also has his own judgements.There may be occasions when the moderator' s judgement may not be acceptable to many members and just for 'formality sake'they congratulate the winner.
    If the process has to be reasonably fair,perhaps it is better the finest post is chosen once in three months, not on the basis of nomination ,but on the style, content and other norms for which separate marks have to be allotted by three judges independently as done in contests and the results arrived at.
    In a forum containing lakhs of members, receiving multiple articles on variety of subjects,it is extremely difficult to arrive at a judgement accepted by all unanimously.
    There are likely to be grumblings, dissatisfaction and prejudices also.
    Writers who take lot of steps giving authentic information which is educative and informative go unnoticed and they are unsung heroes.
    This can't be helped and criticism ,the easiest in life, can't be avoided however much the process is conducted impartially.
    jayasala 42