1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Nominate Finest Posts?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was reading an informative Wikipedia page on gender-identity and once again found myself wondering who are the people who contribute there and what makes them continue to contribute. A casual search showed that the reasons people start to contribute include: like the idea of volunteering to share knowledge, saw an error and wanted to fix it, knew a lot about a subject that was poorly covered, friends, family contribute to Wikipedia.

The reasons for continuing to contribute included: believe that information should be freely available, it's fun, find articles that are biased/incomplete, want to popularize topics that I care about, do it for professional reasons.

It is fascinating to read why people contribute. Then, I saw the Finest Post thread in Latest Replies and was lead to wonder - what could be the reason(s) for the relatively few nominations we see off late? Surely there is no dearth of fine posts, so why only few nominations?

Do you nominate posts for Finest Posts often? Sometimes? Never?

Why? You see a fine post worthy of nomination and:

- You think this post is so good, it will definitely get nominated by someone else
    - Before you can nominate it, you get busy with other work/things?
    - You think: I am a newbie to IL and my nomination will never be declared as a winner?
    - You think nominating a particular post covering a certain subject could be a referendum about you?
    - When you get around to nominating a post, you find it difficult to link the relevant post?
    - You feel that it is already nominated by someone else so there is no need to nominate again?
    - You think I don’t even vote in elections, why would I nominate a post in a forum?
    - You have a hazy idea of Finest Posts but don’t really understand how it works?
    - Too lazy. You would nominate if there was a button under the post for this like the Report Post icon?
    - No one ever nominated a post by you, so you don’t nominate posts? : )

Share your thoughts on nominating posts for Finest Posts. Share your reasons or why others don’t nominate.

2. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

That is a great idea ! You are guaranteed to receive more nominations that way. But i wonder if it will make the whole thing impersonal. I like people writing to explain their choice as much as i like @Viswamitra 's thoughtful responses

But i guess as the user base increases such features are not only helpful but may also be necessary to improve user engagement.

GuideMe, SunPa, Amica and 2 others like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Me too. I like to read why people nominate a post. Somehow, no matter how much a veteran one is here, when a post gets nominated and someone says a few words about why it is nominated, brightens the day.

Yes! Always amazes me how he can respond to any topic. I recently nominated the Adda Hangout chatter thread, he posted response. I nominated the Instant Pot recipes thread, he shows up there and oh-so-casually posts recipes that would put to shame a professional chef.

Hmm... I added that 'button to nominate a post for FP' mostly in jest. If it is indeed taken seriously and considered for implementation, it'd need some functionality like gather why a post is being nominated and that gets posted in the FP thread. Would get more user engagement perhaps but is kinda like evite replacing an invitation delivered personally........

4. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

If you must implement something first, pls put in capcha or something similar to stop that love guru baba who spams IL with his messages. But i digress. Sorry for off-topic suggestion.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Rihana,

The button to nominate to FP will be a nightmare for the technology team in IL. First when the nominator presses the button, it should open a window for the nominator to give her comments. Then, her comments along with the link of the thread nominated should land in the FP forum based on the date of nomination in the relevant month's nomination. It involves a lot of coding.

In hindsight, like what @madras2018 pointed out, the personal touch in writing the comment with the link gives the writer a good feeling that someone cared to take that effort to nominate his/her thread as they liked it so much. It involves a lot more effort than pressing the like button which conveys nothing to the writer about why the reader liked it.

ashima10, Rihana and Amica like this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Cool thread! :thumbsup:

I nominate if it hasn't already been nominated. If it has, I "like" the nomination. Sometimes, I plan to nominate later, but forget. :blush:

If they do add a nominate button, I hope it's like the rating button on media, which has a popup with space to comment when you rate something.

I've twice been guilty of nominating a post on the last day of the month :blush:. I thought it was okay since the thread had not been closed. I understand how last minute nominations can be inconvenient for @Viswamitra, so I apologize. Would it be possible to roll late nominations over to the next month?

I wish I could nominate the trolls for their dedication and perseverance. Starting all these spam threads has to take a considerable chunk of time. :p

7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Yes I do nominate sometimes. Depends on the piece of writing and how it touches me. But many times I get lazy and forget

Having a nominate button and submitting reason is a sure way to receive more nominations. Wonderful idea

momsky, Rihana, Amica and 1 other person like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Amica,

I would welcome any nomination to FP whether it is on the last date or earlier. It is not at all an inconvenience. When the members make so much effort to nominate others' post, least I could do is to respond to it.

Having said that, you can nominate in the following month as well. Threads written a few years back are still being nominated. There are no time limit for nomination. But winning depends on whether that particular thread had already won in the past or not.

Viswa

Amica likes this.
  9. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

This would be me.

momsky, Rihana and Amica like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I used to, very regularly.
    Then waned..
    Should start again.

Button - yes, But with a space for why it is nominated.

justanothergirl and Viswamitra like this.