1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you/DH have to contribute financially to your in laws regularly,if yes how much

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SadMarried, Jun 10, 2015.

1. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

I know most of us here are from asian/indian background. We are brought up with idea of Son has to look after his parents financially once he starts earning regardless , well at least that's what my in laws think.

ME and my husband had rough patches in past mainly in this matter. He used to spend a lot on his parents/sisters etc. I used to be concerned about him spending too much of our saving ( i earn equal as him) on his parents even if they are very well financially. My hubby said , everyone does that as its duty of son to parents and only i have problem with it. And i did admit on it , may be yes i was overly conscious.But my point was yes we have to look after them if they are in need , but if they don't need financial support(which they don't admit though) , why we have to send money regularly.

So wanted to know how is arrangement in your household , Do you have to contribute to your in-laws regularly ? if yes how much contribution you think is reasonable , lets say from percentage of your earnings.

2. Grihani

Grihani Gold IL'ite

Re: Do you/DH have to contribute financially to your in laws regularly,if yes how m

Yes, we do. We give Indian equivalent of 25K Rs every month as regular expense, everything else is extra. They have their own earnings but my husband is committed, as he feels it is his duty to contribute. I have no problem with a fixed amount but my in-laws are reckless with money and constantly ask for more, that bothers me but money matters are very sensitive, if I speak up it will create chaos in our lives, hence I keep quiet.

2 people like this.
  3. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Re: Do you/DH have to contribute financially to your in laws regularly,if yes how m

HI

Its totally on case by case.

This is what we are doing.

My MIL (FIL passed away) stays separately in her own apartment,
    and gets 9k pension(she was Lecturer) and have few FD's.

So we dont give anything monthly per say, but he spends on
    gifts or few items to his mom/sister and take care of her
    bills and hospital needs.

This is what i do, i dont give him penny of my earning,and
    mine completely goes to saving, i have ensured he takes
    care of my complete needs, including cosmetics, dress
    and also cell phone recharge and my bus charge to office..:biggrin2:

So i am relieved that atleast my money is totally saved,
    when he spends on mom/sister though they are well off..

1 person likes this.
  4. Trustcarelove

Trustcarelove Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,
    WE are married for 9 Years. My DH did send my inlaws money until we sent our son to montessori and purchased home here. He use to send min $1000. In spite of this, they use to ask for LIC and whenever there is a need. I always felt for 2 people it was too much. We paid/ still paying the mortgage for the home they are living and paid for the land they bought to build this home. We recently sent around $10k for my BIL wedding. MY DH never ask/ questions them where all the money is going or how it is spent. so my MIL always takes advantage of that and spend unnecessary but asks more..to this day, i never told/ asked him to not to send or questioned about it bcos i always feel they are his parents and we have to take care...but personally i felt , the amt he spent on them was way too much..

P.s: my BIL was working since our marriage and married only 3 months back. God only knows where all earnings n savings are..

So it all depends on each individual and family.

5. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

@lifecoachsuren, thanks for your opinion. Im not or never wAs against him sending money to his parents as i know in our culture its son's responsibility. I only wasnt hAppy about amount he was sending even when we were financially struggling ourselves. its good to see various opinion, so i appreciate your suggestion.

@Grihani, we dont have to send money every month, but its like 3,4 lakh in every 4,5 months..they have good regular income backhome, n even after the amount we send , they always complaint abt thats not enough. This upsets me. But i also realized if i say anything in this topic, we fight , so i have stopped commenting anymore. Thinking if thats what keeps his parents and him happy, i will not talk abt this to him anymore.

@sumal, ours is joint account, we do send fix amount from our joint account to saving account. But if we dont have enough in our current account he takes money out of our saving account to send money to his family.

@trustcarelove, wow $1000 every month is quite alot of money. That makes me feel im not alone who is going thru same situation. Least they have loanfree house,so we dont have to pay their mortgage.my DH is the only son, that makes his even more committed to his family.

1 person likes this.
  6. Love84

Love84 Bronze IL'ite

We do give monthly amount of 10k though they get pension close to 50k and not to mention rent worth 10k.still they dont save any money for themselves and are very pompous in nature.

7. tulip2012

tulip2012 Silver IL'ite

Nice thread :)

soon after marriage I was asked to give money for chit funds to pay off some of SILs dowry.. which I did. It was 15 K per month
    and now.. what I did is.. we purchased property on huge EMI which I am paying off fro my sal.
    I sued to pay kids fee and ehings like that
    electricity , gas groceries etc for my place and i laws place was from my DH.
    Now he lost his job!!
    Yes I said LOST JOB and FILs huge med expenses are hitting too!
    as FIL was covered by DH - no more insurance too

What ever money he got as final settlement is going for FIL.
    And I am not speaking out a word against it as its a very sensitive issue.
    I am earning close to 90 K a month, 43 K goes off for EMI..and you can guess the remaining! I am just patiently waiting and now they want me to remove my parents and add his to my insurance, which I really dont want to do.My parents are not earning where as in laws have around 25 K monthly pension!!!

@Yellowmango and @Rihana ... want to hear your opinion on this

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

What Selfish people!!!!

Please don't do that.Ask direct questions like why? who raised me? You don't care for my parents?

Op....your in laws have pension.Ask them to tighten their expenses as it is tough times for you too.If your parents can manage ,so can they.
    As for medical insurance....try to put some money for it and get them to use their savings for the rest till your husband finds a job.
    Please take care of your parents too. Your in laws seem too selfish .

3 people like this.
  9. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Hi @SadMarried , I am not mature enough as other beautiful ladies in this forums. But I would like to ask one thing, IF your own parents are earning or getting some pension stuffs, Will you support your brother (if any) for not giving asked amount to your parents ?

What if you r In-Laws need it to save for you people only ? Parents usually think that their kids (whether married ) don't know how to save money for the future. They might be thinking that after them they will leave the amount for you , DH and your kids. Have you tried to find out the reason of their money needs ?

For a while, get into the shoes of your MIL and imagine your DS and DIL having issues sending you the asked amount. I am not saying you have issues But if you are struggling , have you tried to talk to your In-Laws about that ? I am sure they won't make you people struggle as their Son is also involved in this. If they are asking for huge amount and still saying its not enough , you can calmly talk to them like :

"" Mom I am very stressed out, this place is so expensive . Even for a little thing we have to spend this much (whatever amount you wanna say). I am struggling to get a cheaper cookware set as the older one doesn't seems to be cooking healthy food for us now but what to do everything is so expensive ""

The best way to handle such situations is to convey your problems in an emotional way. IF you will try to put it in a straight forward manner , they will take it in a wrong way and things will get worse.

Regarding your husband , ask him calmly that what are his plans for your savings ? (Stay Calm dear.. It takes two loud voices for a fight to begin, If one will calm down it will be a discussion not a fight)

Pardon Me if you find my suggestion to be rude or not helpful, I just wrote what comes in my mind. I wish you a happy and positive life ahead :)

10. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

When parents or in-laws are asking money, so that they can leave that for you guys when they are gone? Don't you think they want to show their ego using the will. They want "people to know that he/she left this much for their kids. wow! " Sorry if I am rude.
    But the fact is married adults when they are earning, most of them know what to do with it, and earning person gives more value to his/her money than those took it with out even knowing how much stress, time management etc is involved in earning those. Am I talking disrespectful? Please let me know ladies...

And I am not talking about that money which is spend on health related or those luxury/needs which seems normal according to their budget levels.