1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consume alcoholic drinks?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sacredbell, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I understand how it must appear to be the recipient of the above, but if viewed in another way - it is kind of quaint. Serving wine or even any interaction with ladies (of a house or group) when there are men present is in one way considered breach of protocol. For example, in olden days, notarization etc that needed signature of women happened at home. Before taking signature and/or thumb-print of the woman, it is customary to seek the token OK of the males present.

It is considered "rude" for a man (even a waiter) to pour wine for a woman. Some men, perhaps, prefer to pour the wine themselves for the women at the table.

If I recall right, in very upscale restaurants, they follow mostly western protocols, and women are served first, chair held for them, menu placed first in front of them, order taken from them first, and so on.

CrayoNess, here is one compare and contrast exercise, to do with Indian/Western cultures' similarities and differences.:) When a group at a table orders a wine bottle, the waiter brings it to the table, displays the label, uncorks it, has one person sniff it etc.. in short, one person approves that it is the wine ordered, and waiter may pour it for all.

That waiter-appointed wine-sniffer is often a male. If a man and woman (colleagues) are out dining, the waiter will approach the man to approve the wine.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Shame on you all Women to be drinking alcohol and all. Bringing kalank to the bharatiya sanskar. Shame on you!

waitingsmiley

5 people like this.
  3. Rakhii

Ok now my favorites, Full Bodied reds, Vodka martinis (ahem, shaken not stirred) and of course, cosmo. I have been drinking since early 20's, much before marriage. First drink was with my parents. They both drink too and it has never been a taboo in our family.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rakhii

I must rush to add, I had never been in an awkward situation like crayoness and others. All the big hotels train their staff to be better than to ask permission from guys to serve alcohol to women.

1 person likes this.
  5. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

My parents think that I'm a raucous, boozing(mind not slur-ply drink), puffing, pot and weed only during hippie Glastonbury days, atleast 2 tattoos, of course she is two-timing someone! (they will die of shock the day they realize that I'm teetotaller, prefer to keep that impression that way)

Always wanted to start tippling (mind again not sipping or wine tasting) , ala robin scherbaky style highball scotch here. I love ambling in airports reading the labels of spirits, liquors, wine. Just that never really got a chance to drink quietly in a bar after caring for all those sots who barf, bark and break the stools , administered to carry home safely.

Cheeky fellas, champagne gifted when I leave the firm as my colleagues know what is paid is what is returned (in some cases the same day) as I don't carry home the bowed bottle and whoosh. Last time wrangled "Indian Cookery Book" by unknown and unheard writer when I threatened that I won't serve notice period if anyone fools me with that gig again.

3 people like this.
  6. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Yes ocassionally! Drank before marriage mainly in office gatherings, thts how it started, but now drink socially as well!

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Count me in with those contributing to the decline of Indian womanhood :mrgreen: !
    I drink occasionally, ever since I moved out on my own. I like reds and red blends, mojitos, caipirinhas, margaritas, Tom Collins and my favorite Long Island Iced tea. I can't stand beer however and prefer to sip cider.

8. sacredbell

sacredbell Silver IL'ite

Sounds funny. Similar to a MASTER - SLAVE relationship..
    But it seems to be true..and very much valid now as well..

9. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Women should not drink is such a "middle class" thing..
    many labour women consume toddy on a regular basis...

10. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @Rihana for the clarification/explanation. It was funny to notice how deep down in your spine is programmed that you as a woman are served first. And got really annoyed with the waiter asking for approval for the wine from my colleague. There was the background that I have had power struggles with that colleauge. He was the one trying to forbid me to stay in an apartment (instead of a hotel) on my visits. I know that he meant well but felt that he is patronizing me. We are actually nowadays good friends as he has given up trying to make decisions for me :D.

1 person likes this.