Do You Believe In Superstition ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by shravs3, Oct 12, 2018.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Visiting Zoo During Periods.
    Made me to start a discussion about superstitious beliefs.

Till date we would have come across many superstitious beliefs from family, friends etc .

Personally, I don’t believe them and if at all some one stops me from doing things which are superstitious, I first try to find out the scientific reason for the same.

But I don’t goto temples or do puja during those days. But some of my friends used to eat Prasadam during such days claiming God is the one who has gifted such thing exclusively for woman and why will he curse someone who eats Prasadam during those days..

IMO there would be definitely some sensible reason for such things, but as years pass by many blindly believe them and follow it without even knowing why it has to be that way.

Here are some of the beliefs I have come across

1. Take bath after getting periods.
    If it’s morning I have no problem in taking bath. But if it’s evening or night, I hate taking bath especially if it’s a cold winter night! My mom used to not allow me until I take bath.
    So sometimes I used to hide her :D

The main reason is to maintain hygiene during those days!

2. Don’t cut nails / hair on Tuesday and Friday - I seriously wonder why !!!
    :BangHead:

3. If you attend a funeral , come and take bath immediately

This makes some sense since , the dead body could attract lot of germs and if the deceased person had some health issues

4. If a black cat passes in front of you, then it’s a bad luck. Seriously ???
    This is insane

5. If you drop salt then you will get bad luck.
    Actual reason could be that if there is no salt left then your food becomes tasteless !

6. Don’t go near trees/ graves during periods
    They say evil energies can attract you!

There are many such things..
    Do you believe in them?What’s your opinion ?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Urmila, Amica, Sweety82 and 2 others like this.

2. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

I believe in some ancient superstitious belief. These are the beliefs according to me.
    Eating prasadam during periods - I feel I disrespect god by doing this. Because I have faith in god, I don't do it. Even though god has gifted natural cycle to women, women have certain bacterial stay in their body during this time. That is why our elders ask us to apply turmeric during our fourth day bath.
    Cutting nails Tuesday and Friday - it is believed that those two days are auspicious days for goddess Lakshmi to visit and stay at our house. Cutting nails signify tharidhram to invite at home so goddess Lakshmi will.go out of home, which is not good for us.
    I don't believe in black cats passes the way sign. Honestly no. or even I can say I don't know the reason behind.
    Don't go near trees or graves during periods as evil forces catch . I believe in this because I had experienced something weird when I went to yercaud during period time .

3. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

Good one @shravs3 I lked the way you penned it :lol: though u dont beleive u have observed it well hahahhaha.

I think I sometimes believe but as u said I try to find out scientific reason at times. I don't like going out late nights during new moonday and full moonday :p my sis n dad wld tease me for the same !! Reason is ppl do some strange poojas (something lke black magic) for their wellbeing and dump stuffs on road quelling others wellbeing (I get scared seeing those materials :yikes:) elders say if we r the first one to cross it we will have tough time :BangHead: unfortunately during peak season I have no choices left other than coming like devil in the mid nights....:facepalm:

same pinch even my mom never used to allow cut nails on Tuesday and Friday :sunglasses: funny thing these were said to me during my childhood days now my mom is not so keen in following it but I striclty adhere to these and keep instructing my fmly members to follow it :lol::facepalm:
    Point 5 n 4 sounds crazy :eek:

Graves :confundio1::confundio1: that's our ultimate place of residence at the end of our journey why shld we visit it in advance ;)

Nothing more to think abt it shravs :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Best thing is to pass on if we don't believe it. :beer-toast1:

Good night.

shravs3, GeetaKashyap and Sweety82 like this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@shravs3,

Today most superstitions are meaningless. They act as hurdles on our way. We must try, analyse, experiment and only if we find any truths, we should stick to it. Otherwise, brush it aside.
    1 In the olden days, common bathroom would be there so accessing during periods was a taboo. Today we don't have that issue. Still taking bath immediately as the period begins, is illogical.

The only logical things I have realised are, many women bleed a lot and feel very tired. Resting works well for them. In the olden days, as they had joint families, other women would take over. The other reason is the increased production of prostaglandins during periods which can increase fermentation of batter, spoilage of pickles and some sensitive plants are said to react by wilting.
    2. Earlier, all works like shaving and haircuts were avoided on Tuesdays and Fridays, as these days were associated with Goddess Lakshmi. In those days, they depended on the untouchable barber for such services! Nail cutting comes under the same logic.

4.meaningless.
    5. Salt production happened only in coastal areas and perhaps there must have been a shortage in other areas!
    6. Blame it on prostaglandins.

5. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

If u believe, u can follow.
    If u don't believe, just do whatever u feel is correct for u. But interesting topic shravs :)

6. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

@GeetaKashyap gurugale point one of URS is very true....after hearing the news abt sabarimala yesterday I and my older sister was discussing abt this and exactly the same as u said...but ppl treat as if we r untouchables during those days :rage::rage::rage:

shravs3 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I feel the same :blush:. Even I haven’t done but sometimes really confused why is that

Yes I don’t want to try it either :grin:

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Lol even I feel they are the craziest of all!

You are right :grinning:. But I meant they say you should even pass by graveyard during those days

Adharv likes this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes, some may be meaningful but most things may not be suitable for current lifestyle
    Very illogical :worried:

Never knew this

Yes. But nowadays even upper caste people keep beauty parlours , so I don’t feel why should we follow even now !
    Afterall all are humans :frowning:
    This caste system is the culprit of all:imp:

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Yes!!!!! And I try very hard to convince other people also. But so far, no luck. :(

I told my family that women are impure. I should not be allowed to cook or clean or do any housework; I should just be left to suffer alone in my room. Nobody listens. :crybaby2:

Adharv, SpritualSoul, shravs3 and 2 others like this.