Do you agree making friends in Dubai is difficult?

Discussion in 'IL'ites in Dubai' started by Poonam_rr, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Poonam_rr

Poonam_rr Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am here in Dubai since 5yrs & I always think that it's quite difficult to make friends in Dubai.I could make a good friend circle after2yrs of my stay in Dubai.But few of them shifted to their own country due to Recession.Earlier I always use to think that it's easier to make friends once you have kiddo but now I have 10month old baby but still no new friends.I go to park everyday for more then a month & shocked to see there are 18-20 females sitting next to each other but not talking, not even a single smile..somehow I make efforts to talk but next day they are same.Since I am a friendly person I like to make friends but seeing people here I am damm confused & started loosing interest in making new friends.Do you agree with me that people here are not interested to make friends?or its difficult?bonk

2. shwetaaashikaka

shwetaaashikaka New IL'ite

Hi Poonam,:)
    See i havnt shifted to dubai as yet but can tell u one thing its never to late to make a new begning. :cheersyaa i can understand ur concern that when one is willing to make friends and the person on the other side is not very eager:idea but that doesnt mean u'll change ur self. I am sure u'll find friends dont loose heart, be positive. To me personally this IL forum has given the kind of begning in terms of making friends. Lets see how it goes when i shift to dubai.
    take care.:thumbsup
    love shweta.....

Neetu2323 likes this.
  3. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi poonam,
    well i agree to u 50% and disagree 50%.
    that is bcoz what u r going thru even i went thru. but the bit where u mentioned that after a baby u still didnt have friends, dats untrue for me. and yep like u even im a very very freindly and talkative person, but then out here there are people from all over india , so it kind of becomes difficult to start a conversation as u wont know how the other person might react. like if i come to know a person is from mumbai, i can just start talking coz there are so many thgs to talk abt. also here u have really search for friends having common interest likes and dislikes. here people have a set group of friends, then they dont tend to make friends outside that group. and this particular group will always hang arround together when its weekends or public holidays or go for picnics and thgs like that. it may sometimes feel easy to make friends but to keep up that friendship becomes diificult coz this part of the world u need to prioratise all that comes ur way. those who are born and brought up her have many friends but those who come here for work purpose of after marraige, have no or few friends. ive got many of my cousins living here with their family. we are arround 25 -30 people. but still me and DH wud love to have a big friends group, who wud like to hang arround with us go for picnics, long drives etc etc. we have been doing this all these yrs with family, but actually its only me and DH (among all the 25-30 people) very active. others just sit arround. so it gets boring. now im forcing DH that v will gather friends and with whom v can go out who will atleast participate actively in all fun activities. here ive seen one thg people just dont want to smile back. my prob is i remember faces and tend to smile back may be i wont remember where ive seen them....bonk.
    well if u want u can count me in ur friends list. i love making friends and knowing people.

4. Roopavrajan

Roopavrajan New IL'ite

hi poonam,

I agree with you.I am staying here from past 1 year and I do not have any friends here . I am a jolly fun loving and want to have friends.
    People here are very cautious .since I have stayed here before also , I think they form a impenetrable group and do not want to encourage another person.May be because of possessiveness and incapable to adjust to new groups.I have relatives here and as zeenat was telling they are not very enthusiastic in being active. I am 50 year old I like to go out want to to be vibrant and energetic.When I see people from our country not responding (may be they categorise me as old) it is really painful . Now I have adjusted and I prefer to do my activities with my husband.It will be real fun to have some sharing relation ship with friends apart from your own family members is my opinion.
    I do love making friends ,you can add me in your friends list too.
    All the very best
    Roopa V

5. anaamika

anaamika Senior IL'ite

HI Poonam

I agree with your 'doubts', or views. I am here, since almost 2 years. Not that I have desperately tried making friends, but I have learnt that people here are not very friendly or of helpful mentality. SMILE on the face is really really difficult to find, The residents of my own building, forget about smiling, dont even want to look in the face, when we see in lift or the passage ! And initially, we used to find it very odd and difficult, because we come from Oman, and MUSCAT IS A VERY VERY WARM AND FRIENDLY PLACE !!!

Same goes in any public place or traffic, people very selfish ! I have accepted this reality !!
    I haven't met any IL ites of dubai yet, but people do meet here. Let us hope to meet the next time !!

Where do you all stay ?
    Zeenat, I think , you mentioned somewhere, Karama . right ?? I stay behind Lamcy plaza .
    A warm hand shake to all !!
    cheers!

6. Poonam_rr

Poonam_rr Senior IL'ite

Hey what a coincidence me too from karama,near Lamcy plaza,Anamika Zeenat & Roopa I think we must have come across many times but as expected we wouldn't have given smile thinking what if she wont smile back:).
    It will be great to get friends from same area.:cheers

7. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

lets meet yaar, i posted a thread for ILites in karama but no one replied. i was so depressed as i had such good intentions of meeting Ilites who live close by. i had started to think that no one in karama wants to make friends or meet. unlike bur dubai ILites they meet so regularly. i thought let us also start smthg like them. that y i had started the thread for KARAMA ILites so that v can meet some day. and when got no response i felt same like how poonam mentioned ITS DIFFICULT TO MAKE FRIENDS.

8. anaamika

anaamika Senior IL'ite

Zeenat.....
    Poonam....

I did not see any thread like that. Was it long back ? May be I missed it. Zeenat, you haven't met any IL ites till now. I think they met end of Jan.

Poonam, we can surely keep in touch. But, you will have to complete 50 posts, in orser to send PM, cause we cannot post our address / contact here.
    Lets see !

9. Poonam_rr

Poonam_rr Senior IL'ite

oh is it?we have to complete 50 posts I dont even know how many post I have made so far..but neways..Zeenat even today evening I was thinking the same thing that we karama ladies should also meet well I think it will be too late until I complete 50 post lets keep meeting & post all the information here on IL & there should be no changes..what say?:thumbsup

10. anaamika

anaamika Senior IL'ite

Hi Poonam
    Like you said we can meet up , by deciding through IL itself. And it doesn't have to be karama ladies only, can ask everyone around. there is a thread where all bur dubai ladies discuss the meet, I forgot what it says
    cheers