1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Do we need to change our last name as husband's name while renewing passport from usa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by priyaindusladie, Jul 16, 2015.

1. priyaindusladie

priyaindusladie Senior IL'ite

Ladies ,

I'm renewing my passport from USA ( NY location ). I came across the below point
    " In case the current passport doesn not have Spouse's name , a notarized photocopy of the marriage certificate is mandatory if your status has been filled as married in the application form. A copy of the passport / US ID of the spouse , is required along with your application. Women applicants must include the notarized affidavit for change in name from maiden to married ".
    I'm trying to reach out to their customer care anyways.
    But meanwhile , i want to ask is it mandatory for woment to change the the name from maiden to married , or just attaching spouse name in the passport should work.
    All my other documents are with my father's name as last name.
    Have anyone gone through similar kind of situation recently.

Thanks
    Priya

2. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Re: Do we need to change our last name as husband's name while renewing passport from

Hi Priya,

Just attaching the notarized copy of marriage certificate & copy of your DH's passport is sufficient. An entry as "Spouse Name" will be added to your passport last page, with his name in it. Whenever your DH applies, he would have to share your details with marriage certificate etc.

Please do not change your name in passport WITHOUT having supporting documents (gazetted entry etc) as that would make things way too complicated.

PS: As per US notary rules, passport copies will not be notarized. Only marriage certificate needs to be notarized anyway.

Regards,
    JM

3. Roses3

Roses3 Senior IL'ite

Re: Do we need to change our last name as husband's name while renewing passport from

Hi Priya,

There is no need to change the last name. You can just provide a notary copy of the marriage certificate.

Roses3

4. Counseling

Counseling Bronze IL'ite

Hi Priya,
    i agree with what Roses is saying. You need not change your name for passport renewal