Do we have to love our job?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by shalini, Feb 3, 2007.

1. shalini

shalini New IL'ite

In India, bosses always expected us to say that we love our job. To them, it implied sincerity and commitment. However, in the US, is it becoming acceptable to say that we don't love our job? What are you seeing in your workplaces?

Shalini

2. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No. Love it too strong of an emotion to have towards a way you make your living! But it is important that you have satisfaction in what you do.

Jey

3. RajiMurali

RajiMurali New IL'ite

Hi Shalini/Jey,
    I understand Love is a strong word when it comes to work..But how do you get job satisfaction when you do something that you don't love ?
    I do not know how people felt towards their jobs 10 to 15 years back when there were less opportunities...Now we live in lands of choices. If we know what exactly we want, I believe we will be able to make the right choice and enjoy what we do for living.. Don't you think so?

Regards
    Raji.

4. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Raji,

Before I respond, I have to say this. Your profile is one of the most natural profiles I have read. I read your comment in the who am I thread as well. We are so glad that this site was able to obtain your trust.

My response was more with respect to the intensity with which one should attach themselves to the job. For sure, one has to somewhat like the job that they are doing.

Several co-workers of mine come in every day, do good work and leave. If I ask them, work is a way to a livelihood as opposed to a love or a passion. My respect for them is no less compared to any other person. I didn't want Shalini to think that just because she doesn't spring out of the bed every Monday morning to get to work, she is any less of a good employee.

Thanks Raji for the participation.

Jey

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    People get tensed when they do not get a job as soon as they complete education.
    Then, If you ask them about their work, most of them would say how hard their work is etc. only. Nobody would say that they are happy hat they have a job.
    Is there any one who say that they enjoy working in that job?
    I would say :yes: , my husband just loves his job. He is working in the Chennai Refineries, in a 3 shift job for the past 19 years. He has worked in almost all the sections of the refinery. Even when it is pouring and even in the hottest weather, he had never ever felt that he did not want to go to office.
    Of course, he takes leaves, we go on holidays etc. But he never feels lazy about going to office. And also he never shirks to take up even the hardest tasks in office.
    There are so many of his collegues who take leave during night shifts to avoid it. My hubby does not even feel like taking a day off during festivals if he has been shceduled for shift. I appreciate that trait in him very much.
    I too enjoyed my work in the Railways in Booking office and then Parcel office. I could meet very different people and also face very funny situations in the office, it was never boring and mundane.

6. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

:)

Its human tendency we dont like wot we do and our job is one which gives us money position fame .......... without which we wud not have all the worlds finest riches yet we always feel as if we r over working tired or giving too much to our jobs ,funny isnt it
    but if the same job isnt there we get so depressed and so insecure best is to start liking or developing an intrest in wotever we do so tht we dont get monotonous wht wot ever we do and dont start disliking our work.

7. RajiMurali

RajiMurali New IL'ite

Jey, I agree. Sometimes it becomes hard to make a choice if we emotionally attach ourselves to our jobs.. For example, even if we love what we do, we just do not like the people we work with who have less integerity and respect. ( I really have a hard time with this one guy in my team. I am working on building a better realtionship with this person and be a team player..Lets see how my strategies are going to work)..That definitely hinders our growth and the business professionally.. If we take those feelings back to home with us, it affects our personal life too. Had we have not any emotional attachment to the job, it would be easy for us to make other choices.
    My husband always says.. Do not let any job related thing to get into your skin and blood...You will ultimately be a victim.. Though it is very hard to follow, it seems to be the right way..

8. geetha331

geetha331 New IL'ite

hey everyone

well about loving ur job.... well i guess initially we would all love 2 do a certain kind of job wen its something new to us.. but after a period of time wen it turns out 2 b montonous and same everyday there is a natural tendency 2 get bored... ive been workin in the same company now for abt 3 years and am now pretty bored. now am lookin on to moving 2 another company and maybe a new field... so if at a certain point f time u do feel bored or dissatisfied the option is to look for new openings and move on. no meaning in continuing to do sumthng ur not happy wid... :wink: :tongue

9. InduSarav

InduSarav New IL'ite

Friends...

Below is the lines i read somewhere....

Love your job, Not your company...
    Because You don't know when the company
    will stop loving you....

I belive that when we love our job, we can give best of ours...

Take Care Dears....
    InduSarav....