1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do Kids Birthday Parties Create Comparison?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Vedhavalli, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I went through this thought process when planning kids' single digit birthdays. Wondered if the hassle, the expense, the running around and all was worth it. Even the at-home parties can be a LOT of work. Why not keep it simple. I ended up asking myself - would I go to a wedding in a simple but elegant cotton saree when all will be wearing wedding silks. Would I go wearing only glass bangles and a simple mangalsutra when all would be wearing at least light jewelry considered suitable for the occasion. Would I donate to a charity in the bride's and groom's name, and tell them that on the dais at reception, and say that I bring only my blessings?

The answer is a clear no. I would go along with the social norms that I can afford and that are common in our circle of friends or relatives. Then why put a child through going against the norms prevalent in child's friend circle? There are kinder ways of teaching them the value of money and how privileged they are.

I did some birthdays with entertainers or outside venue for 5th -7th or 8th birthday. As they grew older, they became more selective about friends. So, it used to be just 3-5 kids in all, and a movie, bowling, or even just a visit to a science museum known for b'day parties but we had pizza/cake at a pizza place nearby.

There are ways to cut down on expense for such parties. Choose a weekday afternoon if possible. Tell adults it is a kids only drop-off party, so cut down on food for adults. Have one or two adults to help. For this kids have to be at least 5-6 years old.

2. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Hi @Vedhavalli,

I agree wth your noble thoughts, it is a great way to inculcate positive ideas in your kid. But a 4 year old may find it hard to understand.

Although charity is important, at the same time, I wouldn’t want to miss out on giving my kids fun memories of their birthdays, esp when they are so young. Am sure when they get older, things may change and they may not want such grand parties anymore, and at that point I can never go back to give my kid what they wanted when they were little.
    Am also against buying unnecessary material things and spoiling kids with whatever they want, but I feel that this is one thing I would be willing to splurge on, if needed may cut back on some of my personal expenses to make it happen. Our kids abroad are growing up in a completely different environment, and such parties may help them blend in more and not stand out.
    Also not every themed party needs to be expensive or extravagant.. we can find something to suit every budget.. a splurge on the bday, maybe even every alternate year may be a good idea.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    sindmani, Laks09, BhumiBabe and 2 others like this.
  3. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Pls see my opening post ", this is my personal opinion on big parties for 2-11 yr olds. Celebrating big parties with 200 odd People is owns choice, I'm not judging."
    This is my own personal pet peeve and my own personal and private opinion. Deal with it. My apologies to anyone for any offence caused or for any ruffled feathers.
    Do figure out who is judging who is not. Also I'm not against anyone. It's my sole opinion on birthday party with 100-200 People not on simple one with 30-50 people.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Vedhavalli

Thank you for understanding more accurately.

Srama likes this.
  5. Vedhavalli

I'm not against lavish parties first of all. Every one have their own belief and value system.
    What I meant was 100-200 people, extravaganza venue, buffet with 25 dishes...
    That's not a kids party, kids don't get to enjoy.
    Every year we celebrate with close friends, kids play group friends and few neighbors at home, with dinner Roughly 25-30 people including kids. If weather permits, at a park. Als I buy lunch for her playschool kids , teachers, we cut cake in school as well. I let choose my kid what to give as return gift. Last year we gave books, she wanted to give toy based on book.
    Every one has the right to spend on what they want. I think I'm not explaining properly.
    Have to stop explaining

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Vedhavalli

I read your note carefully when I responded and I was wondering too why people were writing about judging others when you have specifically mentioned that you are not judging anyone. If celebrating the birthday of a child elaborately in a five star hotel is a prerogative of the parents, so is celebrating simply at home teaching austerity to the children.

Vedhavalli likes this.
  7. Vedhavalli

Thank you sir!
    Teaching to simple and humble, enjoying childhood is more important.
    The thematic ones demand everyone to come in costume, 25$ just for costume one day few hours show. I feel that's waste on the guest part, where host demands to come in such thematic parties. The host kid and other kids are mere theme dolls in dias not kids.
    My parents/in laws say if they conduct in big manner gifting is to be accordingly high.
    Because some host say we spent so much we didn't get gifts , as we see in South Indian weddings with "moi", it's loan without interest.

sindmani and Viswamitra like this.
  8. Vedhavalli

I would say I'm blessed with smart kid, she likes her own way. Last year she herself wanted to give book n a book based toy as return gift. We do celebrate in home and school with my close friends, kids friends from play group, school.

sindmani and Viswamitra like this.
  9. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

“ I don't believe in unwanted showoff parties, rather I'm a simple person, who spend money for a orphan child's education , give donation on birthdays , anniversaries... when in India will provide lunch for a orphanage” .

This caught my eye ! Judge others and be preparared to be judged as well.
    I love organizing showoff parties for my kids. As for charity I will not talk about it. Sorry if my personal opinion sounded rude.

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@Vedhavalli , yes, kids birthday parties do form a topic of conversation. Having said this, there are no right answers. It can really go according to what one believes in.
    For me, I take great pleasure in party planning, down to the last banner, down to the last party favor, down to that complicated flavor of the cake. To me, its not a waste of money. It makes my kids very happy to have all the friends over. I am known to have spent $$$$ on parties. That is what makes us (me and hubby) happy. I obviously cannot afford everything my daughters heart is after and I do explain her the importance of money. I just dont (personally) believe that the money meant for my daughters party should be given away. Both hubby and I work really really hard and its the simple pleasure I get when I see her really happy. I wouldnt trade this for anything else. I dont see money going into parties as a waste.

As a matter of fact, I take pride in getting things done locally. For example, we celebrated my son's 3rd birthday literally yesterday. The favor bags consisted of homemade soaps (by a local small business mom), cake by a homemaker, banners by another mom, indoor play stadium was a local small scale business owner, pizza and sandwiches were from a local bakery. The way i look at it, I have given business to these local people in my town. I have given livelihood. I did not waste. thats my take.
    Note that my parties are planned keeping in mind the kids fun

Having said that, if giving the same $$$$ to orphanage makes you happy, by all means you should do that. You can always explain to the child that you can do something else that makes her happy and it need not necessarily involve money.

sindmani, yellowmango, Laks09 and 4 others like this.