1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do I Have Too Much To Handle?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rakhii, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I feel like such a crappy parent today. Do you have those days too? Or maybe I do have too much to handle.
    A full time job, 2 kids, a husband...and now a pup.
    Their potty training, after-school activities, cooking, cleaning, feeding...not to forget, take the pup for her walks...I am exhausted. i really am. I am dreading this evening when i have to take them for swimming. I am already forming excuses in my mind why I cannot take them..

he is working nights...we dont see him until Friday night.

Tell me I am not alone. Tell me you guys ditched a class every now and then....

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    yellowmango likes this.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ditch class girl! I always ditch the unimportant things. I've lost count of the activities we've bunked lately because I'm just exhausted. Kick your feet up with a garam cup of chamomile tea this evening. You deserve the break!

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Rakhii,

Look in the eyes of the pup and her happiness in spending time with you and children. Class is just an activity that can easily be skipped just for this alone.

Viswa

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, you do have too much to handle! When you posted the thread for dog tips itself, I was like, 'wow... '

Got this quote in my inbox today: "I think having an animal in your life makes you a better human." -- Rachel Ray. Occasion is that today is the start of National Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month.

Great to have dogs but when the kids are so young, and husband not in a 9-6'ish job, it gets tough.

Swim classes - my life lesson: Avoid weekday classes till both kids can independently get ready for class, pack their bag, and clean up in the pool's bathroom/change area while mom waits outside. The whole swim class circus can be such a stress. Mom's job should be only to drive them there, settle down far away, get out phone. When class is done, move to outside the changing room, and keep a hawk's eye on the door to see who is going inside.

Unless swimming is a thing the family likes to do together, the classes can even be delayed till both kids are 5 or 6. Of course, all other kids will be going to swim, and 'is my kid missing out' worry will hit mom. : ) The older one will start to learn a bit late... but that is fine.. he/she got younger and more energetic parents. And will have them in his/her life for longer than the younger one. : )

Skip the class without guilt.. but that will tell kid that it is okay to skip........... : )

5. Rakhii

Thank you thank you! Seriously, I needed an OK before I ditch this. If the kids were sick or I am sick or the dog is sick or my husband sneezed a little (which in his words is sick), I would have taken the break gladly.
    I just felt bad that i am planning for this when everything is perfect! lol

This is true Viswa sir. my pup will be far more happier and the kids (so will I) be far more happy while playing fetch with the pup.
    right! I cant wait for the day Rihana. and the showers are so cold lately. The womens showers are nice and warm but my 6 year old told me we cant take my 3 old old son into the women's changing room anymore because he is a "boy". So we go to family room with 4 showers. I am not kidding. 4 showers with at least 10 people waiting. usually my teeth would be chattering as i am wet and my toddler would be screaming his head off because he doesnt want to wait for his turn (because its cold) etc etc

The kids wont remember that today is swimming....phew/

yellowmango and Laks09 like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Mom & me class? Seriously?!!! You've got to be kidding me. That's for people who have nothing else to do. Unenroll right now. Give your son a coveted snack while DD is swimming. He can start going for class when he's able to go by himself. That's what I did. Phew!!!!

7. Rakhii

right! lol

the worst is when they both want chips from the vending machine. I reason with them that its $2.50 per a very small bag of chips....lets bring it from home. But according to my daughter, the vending machine one's taste better.
    I am working on being more "frugal" these days.

yellowmango and Laks09 like this.
  8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

The reason we do not have any after school classes. Only class we do is in winter- weekend ski/snowboarding for my son and music for my daughter.
    Summer time is to enjoy all that the town has to offer, and only in weekends.
    Kids won’t even remember. Don’t worry about a missed class here and there. And for chips, let them pay from their piggy bank, they won’t ask every time.

Rakhii and yellowmango like this.
  9. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

:hello::facepalm: . I am still the :number_one: mom to my kids . I think.

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Being really tired and overworked is as bad as being sick.
    Take the day off girl and enjoy it .