1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Do I have to inform my boss about pumping breaks?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by smileAlways, Jan 13, 2012.

1. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi, *

I am back to work after maternity leave and *pumping twice a day at work.*Each session will take 20- 25 mins *(till I return to my seat) . Do I have to inform my boss about these breaks?*I feel awkward to inform as my boss is a male. *How do you inform your boss about pumping breaks?

2. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

What kind of job are you in. If it is something like call center where you have to be present in particular time, yes you have to tell. Else you need not. Make sure your productivity is not affected in the time you are in office. Also try to limit the time for coffee or lunch breaks, else it will give the impression that you are away from desk for a long time.As long as you get the work done, you need not inform.

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

If I were you I would inform the boss because you don't want to give an impression that you are away from the desk and not working. I would suggest sending him an email and letting him know...Here in the U.S it is very common to pump milk and new moms are entitled to get pumping breaks...

4. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your inputs friends!!