1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Do h4 visa holders get only temporary driving license

Discussion in 'Indians in Illinois' started by kirthi82, Jul 22, 2015.

1. kirthi82

kirthi82 Gold IL'ite

I am in Illinois and recently took driving test. Today I got my license in mail. It says I got temporary driving license which cannot be used for identification purpose and can't drive in other state. Why I got license like this?

2. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

You will get your original driving license in 2 weeks time. This is how it is for every citizen of USA. You may have read about it in DMV knowledge handbook.

PS: Visa holders, would get driving license only till Visa expiry date, and after that license expires. So when we are in-between VISA (expired, and applied for extension), we do not have any other choice but to use other modes of transportation.

3. kirthi82

kirthi82 Gold IL'ite

You mean I will get another card in two week. When I took drive test, they said I will get my license in post within 10 days. Today I got it and it says TDVL in my license card. Do I get another one in 2 weeks.

4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

huh ! I googled a bit and it appears you need to get a "SSN denied" letter from SSA office and submit to DMV office while applying for Driver's license. Else, you would be getting a TDVL only.

Basically, you need below set
    1) SSN denied letter
    2) Passport
    3) residence proof

iLLinois has very clear info on this page

PS: I had assumed you were talking about the "paper" temporary copy in your original post.

5. ashhhhhh19

ashhhhhh19 New IL'ite

Hi kirthi,

In Illinois they give only tvdl to h4 visa holders. Not the proper dl used as id. I stay in Chicago on h4. Same with me too, they gave me only tvdl until u get ur own ssn number.

6. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Looks like IL is still harassing people who do not have a SSN! Happened to me 17 years ago! Had a valid DL from Virginia. When I moved here, I was told no DL without SSN. SS office said no SSN without valid DL! SO we went back and forth for a whole day until DH lost his temper and asked somebody to show him where it was written that there is no DL for people without SSN. Finally I got a SSN, and hence got my Illinois DL.

7. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

You are right.. I moved from CA to IL. In Calif. , SSN is not a very must document when you apply for DL. Also, when I applied here, they have SSN as a mandatory one , without which you get a TDVL. You can still drive with it, however not use for any ID purpose. Luckily I have my SSN, so didn't have any issue with the DL.
    Not sure why IL has strict rules on this.. Also, the DL expiry is also different for every one. Not sure on what basis it is calculated. Each state follows a different policy on this. It also depends on your driver history specially when you renew it.