1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do Dogs Believe In Gods?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Surfing through Facebook, I saw a line in one of those atheist sites : Do animals have a religion? And that led to my putting my thinking cap on.

I have two dogs and four cats at home. Do they believe in God? At least my junior dog, Pixie seemed to have some kind of rudimentary religious belief. If you give her a biscuit indoors, she won’t touch it. But in the garden, if you give her one, she would grab it and place it on a jade plant in the garden, stand quietly for a minute or so before eating the biscuit.

And mind you, she would do that only in case of the first biscuit. From the second piece onwards, she would just take it from your hand and gobble it up.

I keep wondering whether Pixie offers the first biscuit to some kind of jade god. Or wait, it could be a jade goddess. “Jade” seems like the name of the heroine of a Chindse kung fu eastern . who knocks down a mini army of baddies just using a hand fan.

So Jade could be a goddess and pixie her bhakt oops sorry devotee. Devotee not bhakt because the word “bhakt” has acquired some very unfortunate political connotationss nowadays.

I haven’t seen any other jade worshipping pooch. And Pixie is hostile to other mutts in the area. May be she wants to convert them into becoming Jade worshippers and they don’t give a damn. For all you know Pixie could have formulated a new faith called Jadeism. As far as I know, she is the only follower of the faith. Its founder, high priestess and sole devotee.

Unlike Jimmy, my lab, I don’t take Pixie out on a walk. She could launch her proselytizing drive. pouncing on infidel dogs that don’t accept the Jade goddess and make offerings to her. Pixie couldn’t even move Jimmy on the True Path and Jimmy is too heavy to be moved on any path. . Jimmy studiously ignores Pixie’s PR efforts. When peaceful proselytizing failed Pixie tries pouncing on Jimmy and chew her ears if she is allowed near her. Jimmy is one hell of a cynic and doesn’t give a damn for such spiritual shenanigans.

To be fair to Pixie, I don’t see why Jade shouldn’t be worshipped. We worship all sort of things. In a Rajasthan town, there is a temple for a motorbike. Which is kept in the open with just a canopy over it.I remember a Tamil movie in which a comedian after running for sometime gets tired and sits on a milestone and he is immediately thrashed by a mob for committing the sacrilege putting his ackside on “Mile Swamy”. Don’t be surprised if something of that sort is occurring somewhere in the country.

In our mythology there are a whole lot of stories about cows moving away from their herd and pouring milk from their udders on anthill and voila! someone following the cow would find an idol there and there would be a temple around it soon.

If cows can help start cults why not a pooch? May be Pixie is not the priestess of Jadeism, the Jade goddess is probably using Pixie to give us a nudge to say “Hey I also exist. Why not some mumbo jumbo in my name too?”

May be some allegedly enlightened soul would realize this and start spreading the Jade cult. Soon it could grew into a religion by itself joining a long list of faiths based on everything from bikes to flying spaghetti monsters.

Who knows with luck Jadeism could become a multi-million or multibillion dollar faith business attracting a huge crowd of gullible ,my apologies devotees. May be a Society for Jade Consciousness would come into being raking in the big money.

No I don’t plan to set myself as head of the new faith. I probably would run the risk of being chewed up by a very angry Pixie for usurping her invention. But I think I should patent the idea and extract a fat royalty from Jade franchisees. Anyone who wants to renounce the world and its illusory wealth and become rich and famous can apply. It would be religious income, absolutely tax free!

kaniths, manjukps, Sparkle and 4 others like this.

2. curiousgals78

curiousgals78 Gold IL'ite

:grinning::roflmao:
    a new faith Jadeism. cute Pooch you have.
    really amazing. maybe they follow some faith too. we keep hearing that dogs getting into temple, snakes on the idols , monkeys . so possibly they are all devotees in their previous life and by some misfortunate thing took birth as an animal but still continue their faith.
    truly hilarious

Balajee likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

Hilarious! But Pixie might be paying respect for one of her forefathers who was buried under Jade plant. I visualize Pixie being visited by various devotees when she is relaxing in a comfortable couch and Balajee coordinating all operations and managing the finances pouring into the Trust. :)

Incidentally, we have a similar experience back here in our town. Whenever Orion likes to go to the pool area to chase the lizards and play with them, he comes around the Tulasi plant number of times. I always tell my wife that he would be Balajee Bhakt in the next life. :)

Viswa

Sparkle and Balajee like this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I think being born as a dog after being a devotee in previous birth is a real reward. No human hassles and as a pet you are fed and cared for.

curiousgals78 likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, I am toying with the idea of hiring Kamalji as my financial consultant for the new faith of Jadeism. I am sure Orion must have been a devotee in his previous birth. That is why in this birth he is a pet dog , pampered, fed and affection showered upon him.

curiousgals78 likes this.
  6. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

@Balajee

Not a bad idea that I restarted my laptop when it got abruptly switched off as I was clicking this snippet.

As I was reading I was thinking " Why not you yourself.." and you have given your answer in the last para. That's a wonderful idea to have Kamalji as your financial consultant. I remember in one of the old snippet I commented that to be pampered should be Balajee's pet. You may be true, since pixie, Jimmy or Orion should have acquired enough punya to be born as pets of Balajee or Viswa ji.

Coming to your Jadeism, when people could build temple for Kushboo and motorbikes faith in the name of plant is practically possible. How many films we have seen the monkeys, elephants worshipping God / Goddess. When I was a child I have seen in my dad's friend's house, whenever aarthi is shown after bhajan, their two pets Pomeranians sprint there and stand quietly on both sides of Sai Baba's picture. They wait there till Vibuthi is applied on their forehead.

Regards
    Manjukps

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Manju,

Sorry for this interruption Balajee. Even Orion doesn't go to bed until I apply Vibhuti on his forehead every night and kiss him Goodnight. Whenever, my wife begins chanting Slokas, he runs to her and listen to her chant patiently. Whenever Aarati is done, he runs towards the alter and waits patiently for Aarati to be brought to his eyes and then Vibhuti applied.

But what is much more exciting is Pixie worshiping Jade plant. :)

Viswa

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Balajee, I have heard of elephants, cows and other animals showing extreme devotion to the Gods. Who knows? May be your doggy is one of them on a very high level of spiritual evolution? :-D So you are doing right by treating her good. Who knows, next life she might be born a human being. So makes sense to keep karmic accounts straight. :-D

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Wow re3ligious poms. But jade worship is something novel. The novelty factor itself isw going for it.

manjukps likes this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Exactly Viswa. Pixie appears to be on the verge of starting a new cult. I am sure it will be a money spinner.