Do diabetic medication need to be continued even after pregnancy through metformin?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Mathi123, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Mathi123

Mathi123 New IL'ite

I'm trying to get pregnant for a year now. 3 months back my OB said my A1C is (6.5) at the margin of diabetes, my BMI is 26, im having ir-regular periods and my testosterone levels are high. So she said I might be having PCOS and asked me to take metformin. After going trough some blogs I understand I have a possibility of getting pregnant with this treatment. But my worry is if I start taking metformin, control my insulin levels & get pregnant...does it mean i have to be continuously be in some diabetes medication even after I get pregnant? My mom & dad have diabetes and I'm very worried if I have to take some medication for insulin resistance so soon, since im only in pre-diabetic condition and not in to diabetic zone yet.. If anyone have been in similar situation, pls let me know if I have to be continuously be in some diabetic medication even after metformin & pregnancy. Thanks.

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Do diabetic medication need to be continued even after pregnancy through metformi

Hi Mathi,
    Welcome here.... :)
    PCOS is not diabetics. We can take it as prior intimation on future diabetes in us! If the PCOS has brought under control, diabetes will take back seat. Its all depends on how well we take care of our body under PCOS. If you achieve good control over PCOS, you will be in safe zone.
    My Father is diabetic & both my grand fathers had diabetics. I have higher degeree of getting diabetic in future! When i started my TTC treatments, my HbA1C levels are high & was put on Metformin(1500mg), then slowly reduced the dosage. With my last treatments, HbA1C levels are low & no more metformin now. I am with some restricted diet plus good physical activity(at least fast walking will do.). All these helped me to control my troubles to some level.
    PCOS can be treated with proper care. After you get pregnant, depending on your body hormone levels, you may asked to continue or lowering the dose or will be asked to stop taking Metformin. If you are with PCOS & insulin resistance while you get pregnant, you may get Gestational Diabetics. In that case you need to watch out the levels continuously & has to monitor the diet intake. Sugar & diabetic conditions can be treated if you put all your effort on it!
    Hope these helps.
    Take care. Baby dust to you!

1 person likes this.
  3. Mathi123

Mathi123 New IL'ite

Re: Do diabetic medication need to be continued even after pregnancy through metformi

thanks for the details, vasumathy. That was so informative, that cleared my doubt about getting into metformin medication.